Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I love my Firebrick 2500 router/firewall  (Read 15806 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: I love my Firebrick 2500 router/firewall
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 03:20:49 AM »

I've noticed something in the release notes for the April release of the FB2x00 software that leads me to think that

* the device now supports an attribute in a firewall rule called something like source-mac or mac-source which would allow you to write a rule based on the source mac address of a packet rather then its src IP. Very very handy and a big wish-list item for me knocked off. It's mentioned in the XSD description of types.

* I really hope there will be a symbolic value for a mac address, smae as there are symbolic named values IP ranges and lists of IPs.

For some reason, I suspect much much harder to implement, no sign of any companion dest or target mac attribute.

The documentation is very spotty, this is a perfect example. New features come out, they are a semi-secret, not well documented. The manual may or may not get updated. In this one case, the src mac address feature, it doesn't seem to be presented in the web forms UI, I suspect it's XML only. Someone needs to work on the docs at least part time, but regularly.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »

<snip>

The documentation is very spotty, this is a perfect example. New features come out, they are a semi-secret, not well documented. The manual may or may not get updated. In this one case, the src mac address feature, it doesn't seem to be presented in the web forms UI, I suspect it's XML only. Someone needs to work on the docs at least part time, but regularly.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile you offering your services to perform that task? To me, it appears that you are adequately qualified to do so, you have the relevant hardware and is something that can be done at a time that suits yourself . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 02:10:05 AM »

I just noticed this webpage, which gives potential users the ability to play with a Firebrick demo UI to see if you like it
    http://fb2700.demo.firebrick.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3]