Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISPs of members  (Read 2720 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
ISPs of members
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »

Might it be an idea to have a mechanism where members could, if they wished, declare which ISP(s) they are currently using? Doable?

"ISPs-I-have-known" is another thing, might also be interesting?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ISPs of members
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »

It's probably doable, but would require custom code. 
However I will be perfectly frank - Since upgrading to SMF2 I try to avoid using any custom code at all costs, because it doesn't always sit well with any future upgrades that need to be done (ie security updates etc that are often released). 

I learnt my lesson with SMF1 when I did have custom code.  There was me,  thinking I was clever being able to tweak the forum software to own specifics.... until it came to do updates, because that blew out of the window any chance of doing a straight update.  :(   I think Eric will remember/confirm that it had become a bit of a headache for me, so I started again from scratch vowing not to repeat.  I'm even careful which official mods I apply these days because I don't want anything which will break the template sources.

When attempting to apply an update, the first thing SMF does is check the source to make sure the expected code is there, if all is ok then it says you can proceed with the update.  If it finds anything different or unexpected in the files its attempting to update, then you get a nasty red warning and any updates have to be manual.   When youre dealing with 100's of pages* each with (10's of) 1000's of lines of code it's not always a pleasant task.

If anyone wants to do show ISPs etc, then using the signature space is the usual way of doing so :)

*These are the SMFcore pages - the foundation of what the forum runs on and completely separate from the database driven pages which show post content.    Its open source so you can tweak whatever you wish within those 100's of pages, but get just one thing wrong such as a misplaced comma and the whole thing could stop working.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »

I think Eric will remember/confirm...

Indeed I do. You had a horrible time sorting it all out.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 09:52:01 PM »

you can check MDWS for now, that shows information although may not help if usernames dont match.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »

"ISPs I have known & <insert epithet here> "

Hmm probably best not to go there :D

anything