Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows 10 failed to update/notify you? Look here.  (Read 9218 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 failed to update/notify you? Look here.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »

Guys.. that window kept on for me too.

Go to the windows update and check the update history. The chances are you have a Win 10 update and its failed, probably repeatedly. When that happens you know that you should have had it by then.

If you want it, then go to that url I posted before and you'll get it.

The only way the update doesn't fail (if it starts the update download) is if you keep your computer on during the entire thing, at least 12 hours. If you turn your computer off, then it'll list the update as a fail. So far from what I've seen it seems to start back at 0% if the update is interrupted. MS could have made all this go smoother I think.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 06:41:49 AM »

by the way guys I found this article.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?page=1&auth=1

So on my laptop

I uninstalled the win10 app (the kb3035583 update.
Reinstalled the update as well as activating a service I thought might be related and installed the system readiness tool.

However the app still paused.

This time tho, my windows 10 copy was not showing as reserved in windows update.  I suspect its because the app wasnt working, however when I initially installed the app on my pc and laptop before july 29 it was working and that probably activated the reserve ok.

So I made the batch file from that article and ran it on my laptop.

The app still remains hung.

But now windows 10 is available for download in windows update, no reserve message, it bypassed that, so it seems that batch file skips the queue.

If i am to upgrade a machine to windows 10 my laptop will probably be first.  But I am still unhappy with all the issues I am having which is putting me off.

Incidently my laptop is quite software bare.

It has minimal 3rd party software installed, and what is installed is only small apps.
The AV is avast free.
Its an intel chipset using intel hd internal graphics.

So the hang would be odd if caused by 3rd party stuff.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »

This is from my main terminal 8.1 Events Log, keep seeing it but whether it's something to worry about? Can anyone else find this event in Windows?

I've only ever looked at the 'Ready' notice... The first entry says it's starting the Win 10 update... Must look up the error code & this occurs four times during the night

Um, that is worrying - is it really trying then?...

0x80240020
This problem occurs if the Automatic Updates service cannot impersonate the logged-on user to finish downloading and installing the update.

Correction:

That was for Win 2000..

Elsewhere:
This error means the download is corrupted in some way.
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 will start downloading again..

But why is it trying in the first place?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:06:28 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »

I've been running the preview version on my laptop since it was released, I'm positive that it was a fresh install, not an upgrade. Anyway just returned from our holiday and downloaded the latest updates on my laptop. I now appear to have a fully updated and activated W10 Pro laptop. I thought I'd have to install W8 and then go through the upgrade process, but it seems not  :)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »

So far I'm liking it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Does that Upgrade as well? Rather than wait for another failed auto d/l, I've cloned my current Win 8 to another SSD, changed the key to one that hasn't been used, and am d/l the ISO off that so I can try it on that disk safely.... That will make five boot disks!!

I also haven't discovered what files it kills. I don't use any MS apps in Win 8.1, everything else is 3rd party. MS idea of 'keeps all your files' isn't usually the same as mine  :-\
Tony
My Books!

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »

So far I'm liking it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Does that Upgrade as well? Rather than wait for another failed auto d/l, I've cloned my current Win 8 to another SSD, changed the key to one that hasn't been used, and am d/l the ISO off that so I can try it on that disk safely.... That will make five boot disks!!

I also haven't discovered what files it kills. I don't use any MS apps in Win 8.1, everything else is 3rd party. MS idea of 'keeps all your files' isn't usually the same as mine  :-\

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been fighting with HP printer drivers lol.

Yes, the link downloads the upgrade and then goes about upgrading it. You pick which version you want, 32 or 64 bit version. Then after downloading a small launcher file, press the button and the process starts.

I'm glad now the download time as reduced a lot. So it'll take about 3 hours to upgrade once its downloaded.

When you upgrade I advise you to not press the 'express settings' button, as they want to know everything you're doing. Press the change settings and you can turn everything off if you prefer. I just kept the error reporting function on. Everything else I turned off.

So far everything is working, well I had to re-install the printer drivers, and my bluetooth functions arent working fully (but I dont use them anyways).

Also it seems to default for the restore function to off, which is kinda strange. But it's easily put back on again.

It's like a cross between w7 and w8.1 though faster response times.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »

Apparently over 14 million computers are upgraded to Windows 10 in the first 24 hours. 
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14:02 PM »

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been fighting with HP printer drivers lol.

Yes, the link downloads the upgrade and then goes about upgrading it. You pick which version you want, 32 or 64 bit version. Then after downloading a small launcher file, press the button and the process starts.

I'm glad now the download time as reduced a lot. So it'll take about 3 hours to upgrade once its downloaded.

When you upgrade I advise you to not press the 'express settings' button, as they want to know everything you're doing. Press the change settings and you can turn everything off if you prefer. I just kept the error reporting function on. Everything else I turned off.

So far everything is working, well I had to re-install the printer drivers, and my bluetooth functions arent working fully (but I dont use them anyways).

Also it seems to default for the restore function to off, which is kinda strange. But it's easily put back on again.

It's like a cross between w7 and w8.1 though faster response times.

Okay thanks for the advice. I had the iso downloaded and burnt in about 30min overall. So will have a go in the next few days and will certainly turn off everything as you say...
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »

got the itch I think i gonna upgrade my laptop soon :)

So I will first do an image backup with macrium.

Upgrade via windows update.

Assuming it boots ok, I will then assess if I want to do a clean install or leave as it is.

I plan to use a local account and setup the msn account manually on the store (is possible).  However I think MS are linking licenses to Microsoft accounts which might bring future activation issues using a local account (I think this is why my insider pc got inactivated).
Pages: 1 [2]