Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 10 failed to update/notify you? Look here.  (Read 9212 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Windows 10 failed to update/notify you? Look here.
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »

Well my upgrade / update notification never appeared. Even after others were installing it.

So I checked the windows updates and noticed it had failed to update twice.

So I got on the net and looked around. It seems some other people were having a similar problem. So this is what I did to start the download (yea unfortunately we gotta redownload the whole thing! 2699mb's!)

Go to the drive your OS is installed on, usually C and go to this directory: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the files and directories in there.

Then run the command line program as Admin and type on the command line: wuauclt.exe /updatenow

The go back to the windows update screen and check for updates. The Windows 10 update will now start downloading. Unfortunately it is painfully slow. I wish I'd have noticed this fault earlier. I noticed its also messed up on my win8.1 laptop too.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 failed to update/notify you? Look here.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:15:02 PM »

Have seen that on the internet to force it to update, I'm not in a hurry it either comes in via it's own accord or it doesn't, I'll miss windows media centre it worked flawlessly and those third party ones just don't seem to cut it.   

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »

windows 10 updates are defenitly a mess, here is my observations from test rig.

it ignores the defer updates setting, all updates it seems to try to install anyway.
updates frequently fail, but then work when I hit retry.
it will auto schedule a reboot instead of waiting for you to do the reboot on your own terms.

in fact not sure why windows still needs reboots, on nix reboots are only needed when the kernel changes.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »

So far I'm liking it.

I changed most of the settings at the start (don't press Express Settings unless you want M$ listening in and watching everything!).

Because of the downloading the update problems I had, I ended up using this program;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It does all the update in one program. It took me 16 hours! From starting the download to it updating and configuring until it eventually came on.

I don't know why the downloading the update was SOOO SLOOOW Grr.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »

windows 10 updates are defenitly a mess, here is my observations from test rig.

You can say that again, again and again...

I woke up this morning to find a trashed disk on my backup terminal. I got it back after a boot sector repair and discovered....

During the night Windows 10 had tried to install itself without being asked :'( And failed miserably all through the night as it tried and tried and tried again and again and again according to the events log and failed every time.

I NEVER asked it to do so, I haven't even selected the icon since it told me the update was ready a few days ago. Certainly not scheduled.

Really mad  >:D I've restored a backup (it's the only Win 7 terminal I have) from a couple of weeks back and declined the Win 10 update reservation for now. I think Win 10 updates are a long way in the future here.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »

wow thats a nightmare tony, thanks for the heads up.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »

The windows updates feature hasnt worked on any of my pc's.

I thought it was supposed to be secretly downloading win10 on the run up to the big release date. But how can it do that when if you have to switch off your computer during the update it starts back at 0% again.. IF it starts at all!

I doubt the average computer user (who isnt techy like us) would leave their computer on for 16 hours.

So far I've been using that link I posted earlier. There is also an option to download the ISO. So if anyone prefers to do that the option is there.

But yea.. Updates Mr Microsoft?!.. UpYours! lol

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »

Mines still sat at the "Thank you for reserving" stage.    Does anyone know if we should have all received the download?

I dont particularly want to update it yet, but Im curious.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 01:00:44 PM »

The information from Microsoft says you may wait weeks or months, I've no idea how they are scheduling it though.
There's always the ISO route of course if you can't wait.  ;)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »

For me it's saying it can take a few days or weeks to receive the update.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »

I still have the hung window :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »

I still have the hung window :)

That is strange because after that hung page the next one you see is this page as seen below

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »

During the night Windows 10 had tried to install itself without being asked :'( And failed miserably all through the night as it tried and tried and tried again and again and again according to the events log and failed every time.

I NEVER asked it to do so, I haven't even selected the icon since it told me the update was ready a few days ago. Certainly not scheduled.

That could because you have set the windows update settings to Install updates automatically my setting are to download updates but let me choose whether to install

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »

That could because you have set the windows update settings to Install updates automatically my setting are to download updates but let me choose whether to install

Nope, haven't done that for years  :no: I only ever do manual checks for updates these days, usually on a Wednesday.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
  • A&A Customer - Home::1TB
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »

I have hidden windows 10 update, and set windows update to manual checking only.  ;)

I do not want windows 10 at this time.
Pages: [1] 2

anything