Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Printing Photo,s  (Read 4835 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Printing Photo,s
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »

Hi all,the problem I,m having is when I print photos I am losing a bit of the picture at the sides.I have tried cropping the images without success.They are bog standard 6x4 prints.My camera is a 6mp Panasonic and my printer is a HP photosmart 8250.
The images look great on the PC monitor,I just can,t understand why I,m losing abit off the sides.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Printing Photo,s
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »

Can anybody help here? UncleUB is looking for a bit on the side. ;D
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »

:lol:

UnkyUB, are you printing a 6x4 onto 6x4 paper, and have you set the machine to borderless print. Borderless will chop a bit off, although usually on all four sides.
What happens if you set to non-borderless ?
Also, what happens if you print onto a 7x5 paper.

What resolution are you printing at.............and does that resolution match or exceed the "native" res. of the printer.......( my printer's res. is either 240 or 360 dpi and if you set to print at the usual 300 dpi it can go a bit adrift )

What prog are you using to do the print and does it have a "print preview" facility ? 

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »

Aren't we all?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »

Tufted,I am using 10cmx15cm (tabbed) HP photo paper.I have just printed again with white borders this time and it printed the full image.
My printer is set at 600dpi.
The photo program I am using is HP photosmart essential, and windows photo gallery.
Strange thing was I went to print from the HP software and when I changed to 10x15 paper with white borders it kept trying to print from the main tray( not the photo tray)Yet all the settings are correct.?
When I printed from windows photo gallery it printed just right

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »

I think that has been the problem, UB, setting to print borderless which will always lose a bit round the edges as the printer will "bleed" a bit over the edges.
So, a choice...........a white margin or no white margin but a little bit lost.

600dpi is very high, using a lot of ink that is maybe being lost...............for a 6x4 I'll never print more than 150dpi, only going up to 240 0r 300 respectively for A4 or A3.............but that depends on how you like to see the prints.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »

Just another question,when I select 10x15cm borderless printing it prints from the photo tray,but when I select photo printing with white borders it prints from the main tray even though I have the settings to print from the photo tray.
I,m a bit of anovice and would like to know if anyone can recommend  good photo editing software for beginners.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »

There are lots of free photo editors, some are basic and easily worked such as Picasa from Google and others are quite complex with nearly all the power of the full Photoshop, such as The Gimp.

A good one to start with may be Serif Photoplus which you could download free from http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/. It is not their latest version but it is quite powerful, and easily disposed of if you don't like it as it is free.

You can get a good comparison and more ideas at http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pixelbasedwin/tp/freephotoedw.htm

Sorry, don't know why your printer is misbehaving, don't have an HP, but no doubt someone will be along to help.

anything