Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DrayTek Vigor 130 Stats Monitoring  (Read 14323 times)

DoZZa

• Just arrived
DrayTek Vigor 130 Stats Monitoring
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »

Hello,

Im new to the forum but have been using this site for many years, love the information available on here!

I do come with a question and not a solution though!

But first a little background information.

I had FTTC installed about 10 days ago at home. Was previously getting around 3.5mbps down and 0.5mbps up on a TalkTalk provided ADSL line. Went with TalkTalk as at the time they were the only ISP providing 21CN speeds at my exchange. When I first moved in about 3 years ago I had a standard 8mbps ADSL line and was getting an unusable 0.5mbps down and non-existent up!!

Now I am seeing around 19mbps down and 3mbps up. An excellent improvement!

Currently Zen Internet is my provider. I have three other FTTC circuits at my office, which run very well indeed at around 72mbps down and 17mpbs up. ISP's at the office are Zen, Plusnet and BT. The Zen line seems to outperform the other connections. Thats a different thread though!

I have just acquired a DrayTek Vigor 130 in the hope of squeezing a little more speed out of my home connection.

My line length is just over a mile so I am not really expecting much more than what I have now. When Openreach came to install the modem, they left me with an ECI modem, I am not keen on those due to the G.INP issues a few months ago. I do have three HG612's that are unlocked. I borrowed one from the office and attached it to my home line to get some stats. Line looks OKish. Huge interleave depth on the downstream, 423 to be exact! Although I dont know how accurate that is, as from my understanding, if that was true then latency would be unbearable! Latency is pretty good for the line length, a ping to bbc.co.uk from a terminal shows an average of 25ms. Currently G.INP is not enabled on the cabinet, which is a Huawei.

So now onto the Vigor 130. Its a nice looking modem, well built. The question is, can I access the web gui of the Vigor 130 without having to connect directly to it via ethernet? Quick Start manual says to access web gui I would need to set an IP address of 192.168.2.10 on a computer and that the Vigor 130 is on 192.168.2.1.

I note that there is a LAN section on the web gui of the 130 from pictures I have seen on the internet, but I have not yet directly connected to the Vigor 130 to see if I can set a static IP for the 130 on the same subnet as the rest of my network to allow me to access the web gui from any device, without the need of a direct connection. Just thought I would ask here before I go messing about with it.

Finally, with the HG612 I was syncing a little higher, however, pings have improved by about 10ms since using the Vigor 130. Will give it a few more days and see what its like. Hopefully G.INP will get enabled on the cabinet in due course, the cabinet itself only went live about two weeks ago.

Thanks for reading and also for any info received.

DoZZa

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: DrayTek Vigor 130 Stats Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »

I don't believe there's any way of easily bypassing your router and getting at the modem to extract stats from it.

(If you also had a Draytek router working with the modem, I seem to remember something about a mfr-specific feature which allows info to be relayed through the router...)

Complex arrangements involving either two NICs in a computer, or a sophisticated and expensive router, could be made up to give access to the router and modem at the same time, but it would be messy.

I would like to write a new RFC to deal with this problem, a problem that affects all modems living hidden behind routers.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »

Does the DrayTek 130 support static routing? If so you can access the stats.

DoZZa

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:03:39 AM »

I am not sure if there are different versions of the 130, but looking at a manual that I found shows that it does have static routing support.

See here http://downloads.snappernet.co.nz/draytek/dv130/manuals/UG-Vigor130-V1.0.pdf

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:16:17 AM »

Both the Quick Start Guide and the User's Guide for the Vigor 130 can be downloaded from the DrayTek ftp server --

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor130/Manual/

[Edited to correct a typo.]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:30:17 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DoZZa

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »

I think there may be different firmwares for different countries, there seems to be conflicting information in relation to what IP address the 130 is on. From the quick start manual downloaded from DrayTek UK, the modem should be on 192.168.2.1

Other manuals not from the UK DrayTek website say 192.168.1.1

I will be connecting directly to the modem tomorrow and will report what I find.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 01:46:52 AM »

I got very confused with the range of firmware files available on some Draytek server, and I blew god only knows what build into mine. It had the right, latest, version number in it but there was some suffix on it that I didn't understand.

I accessed the web ui of the device its ipv4 address being: vigor = 192.168.2.1/24 by default

I chose a temporary address for myself = 192.168.2.99/24

It really doesn't like it (by default) if you make it a /16 as befits that private ip block, so set your nic to be /24, to start with anyway.

I could then query it and configure it. I wanted to get it to do 1508-8 byte MTU ehich is only possible on the latest fw release I was told. (See my earlier thread on this MTU thing.)

You should, if possible, be using 1508-8=1500 byte mtu/mru for this device which now speaks rfc4638, like the BT FTTC modems.

That got me going anyway, but I was a bit disappointed with the ds sync rate on my incredibly long BT 20CN ADSL1 line.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 01:50:21 AM »

Forgive my ignorance about this, but why should the _router_ pass through IP packets to the LAN side from the router if they do not come out of the PPPoE pipe? Surely your router is oniy listening to the PPPoE connection not IP-routing every straight IP packet from the modem side through as well?

Am I completely missing the point? :-)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:53:09 AM by Weaver »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »

router passes packets between networks/subnets when a packet is destined for somewhere the other side of it. that's its job. It will not randomly pass stuff across that is not explicitly intended for a network/subnet on the other side or reachable from the other side.

people wanting to try and make it do otherwise don't understand the function of a router, which is to keep the networks separate while allowing communication between them.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 01:13:11 PM »

@loonylion - you and I are in agreement, I take it?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 01:10:35 AM »

@loonylion - you and I are in agreement, I take it?

yep.

DoZZa

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »

Didnt even get to try and sort this one out.

With the 130 connected to my network, my Vodafone Sure Signal V3 refused to connect to Vodafone.

Put the HG612 back on the line and all working well.

Have not tried the new firmware so could not comment if the VSS would work with new firmware installed.

Apparently something to do with packet fragmentation.

dantheperson

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 12:01:22 PM »

Forgive my ignorance about this, but why should the _router_ pass through IP packets to the LAN side from the router if they do not come out of the PPPoE pipe? Surely your router is oniy listening to the PPPoE connection not IP-routing every straight IP packet from the modem side through as well?

Am I completely missing the point? :-)

Indeed, you need to add some routing instructions if you want your router to route packets to the drayteks ip via the wan port.  Real PITA to not be able to access the modems web page, so here's how I added the necessary routing on my router -> http://dantheperson.blogspot.co.nz/2015/12/access-your-modems-web-admin-screen.html

xlr8r

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »

if your router has custom dd-wrt firmware you can use this method to obtain Vigor 130 gui 

(i.e. I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 with DD-WRT firmware and can easily access the modems gui)

You can use this method (link below) to access the Vigor 130 gui

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 03:34:40 AM »

Btw Burrakucat's ftp link posted earlier was I believe attacked by the demon spelling ‘correction’ gods.

Try ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor130/Manual/

or https://g.co/kgs/rNvpcA
Pages: [1] 2