Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Web Page Alert  (Read 1985 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Web Page Alert
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »

My sister has just phoned me about a so called Web Page Alert.
She was looking at the BBC news site when a loud female voice boomed out warning that this is a web page alert phone this number right away, 0203805055, luckily she phoned me first while the alert message was repeating, seemingly on a loop, I told her to delete it asap and do not phone that number, she had to switch off the laptop manually by pressing the start/stop button, then she ran a anti virus scan several times.

Her OS is Win 7 and she is using Avast anti virus.

Did we do the correct thing?

Regards,

Peter

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Web Page Alert
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »

It sounds like a browser hijacker, I've seen a few of them recently.  Thankfully, these ones tend to go away if you reboot - previous vulnerabilities in web browsers meant they were much harder to get rid of and would come back after a reboot.

Scan for viruses - which you did - is a good thing.  Wouldn't hurt to run malwarebytes as well.

If you've not already got it, go here https://www.malwarebytes.org/, and download the free version, then run the installer.  Near the end of the installation, untick the "enable free trial" option - this will then give you the free free version, which is good enough.

Run it over the whole disk and see if it picks anything up.

Also worth making sure that flash is up to date, in theory Chrome and IE should have updated themselves, but go here to check which version you're running and which is the latest :

http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

If you're not running the latest version, click the link to the download center.

Note that Chrome has it's own version of flash installed, click the three lines on top the right hand side of Chrome then choose "about Google Chrome" and it will check if it's the latest version - this will update Flash in the browser as well.

Windows/Microsoft update has been sending Flash updates for IE today as well.

Ian

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »

Very many thanks for that sound advice, I'll copy it and email to her, not familiar with flash but I'll check my Chrome for up dates any way.

Thanks again

Peter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:01:37 PM »

Flash is a very common program for showing animated graphics, running games and other programs, showing videos and other stuff inside web browsers. Speed testers that live inside a web browser often use it, for example. If you have Flash, just delete it completely, IMO as you're better off without it since it is such a security hazard.

anything