Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Buy add-free mode  (Read 6299 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Buy add-free mode
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »

Some apps offer an upgrade option where you can pay a few quid and get rid of adverts.

I wonder if this might be doable on the kitz site. Basically, you go to the kitz shop and effectively buy a cookie, which sets a no adverts css option.

I can imagine this might be a nightmare to implement, better things to do, platform doesn't make it easy at all, and a hundred other things.

Some of the recent flashing ads at the top have been making my eyes hurt, hence the reason behind this thought experiment.

underzone

• Reg Member
Re: Buy add-free mode
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »

Don't most people use Adblock Plus or the like extensions in their browsers? I also use the MVPS hosts file that blocks ads/adware/viruses/malware etc. Just add a donate button and change peoples statuses to 'Kitz Klub - Paid Up Member" or something. Plenty of people would chip in.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »

A good suggestion, but to be perfectly honest,  I have absolutely no idea how I could implement this.  :(

The main site runs on a custom template - although the front page is currently being redesigned which will link to the forums - but one of the many things that came to a halt due to family illness that is taking up a large chunk of my personal time.   
The forum software is SMF and although it has a subscription facility I dont know how you'd link it to advertising :/

I do try keep the ads to a minimum and dont use any of the large ones and I deliberately set those preferences away from any of the flashing type.   If there are any flash ones please let me know and I'll attempt to put a block on the advertiser.   The 'kitz shop' will likely be going anyhow, it's run by Amazon for Amazon purchases and there's only once in 8 yrs they paid anything.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:12:27 PM »

kitz I whitelisted site in ublock now.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »

The 'kitz shop' will likely be going anyhow, it's run by Amazon for Amazon purchases and there's only once in 8 yrs they paid anything.

I recall you mentioning the above some time ago. Now having just seen your "reminder", I've made a change to my signature block . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »

I added the whitelist but www.awin.com has hanging connections.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »

sorry kitz I removed whitelist, www.awin1.com keeps hanging.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »

And as I said earlier, there are always lots of other things to do on the list. Having a life  instead of burning oneself out being one. :-)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »

The most brain-hurtful one I've seen is "One new message" or something like that, and has a large letter envelope image on the right.

A Sky advert keeps cycling round like an animated gif or the modern equivalent.

This should probably get taken off to a new thread if anyone else wants to help with animated or blinking ad-spotting, as it's already buried here.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »

A good suggestion, but to be perfectly honest,  I have absolutely no idea how I could implement this.  :(

The main site runs on a custom template - although the front page is currently being redesigned which will link to the forums - but one of the many things that came to a halt due to family illness that is taking up a large chunk of my personal time.   
The forum software is SMF and although it has a subscription facility I dont know how you'd link it to advertising :/

We used to have something similar on another smf forum I co-admin. There was an advertising module in the forum that I believe was linked to usergroups (only display for certain groups) and when someone purchased premium their usergroup was changed. The rest of the site then ran off the smf user database and permission settings, so site ads were only displayed if the user was not logged in or their usergroup was not premium or admin.

I can ask the other admin how it was done if it would help?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »

I enjoy clicking on adverts only on the Kitz site mind you  ;) ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »

A third flasher has a load of large icons laid out horizontally, then some text flashes up behind it for a few ms, so you can only just see it. That one is pretty nasty. That's enough ads, ed.

anything