Computer Software > Windows 7

Really heavy memory use after startup W7x64

(1/3) > >>

HPsauce:
Recently I upgraded a particular program I use regularly and the new version started to behave oddly, sometimes loading very slowly or even not at all.
Investigating I realised it was rather more of a memory hog than before, but I have 4GB ram and not much else running so was puzzled.

Checking further I have found that anything up to 3GB is in use after a fresh boot, sometimes for many minutes, even half an hour.
I've tried running Process Explorer to see if that sheds any light but am getting nowhere.

This morning was typical. Booted the PC, put the kettle on, made a cup of tea, hung out the washing and came to use the PC - seemed sluggish.  :(
Ran task manager and it showed almost exactly 3GB in use.  :o
Left it for a while, finished off my tea and came back a few minutes later, still the same.  ???

Decided to run Process Explorer and have a look, and within seconds memory use had dropped below 1GB.

Loaded up my usual background programs (not the big one) and it's 1.24GB. Added the biggy and its up to 2.2GB which is a big jump and explains why it doesn't like loading with 3GB already in use.

Any thought on what on earth could be doing this and where/how to look?
I use MSE for antivirus.

Edit: Just using the PC normally and memory use has now dropped to 1.67GB despite no change in programs in use.  ???
(though I think that's probably down to my "biggy" program offloading bits it doesn't need)

Dray:
I suggest you go into MSCONFIG and see what's in the startup tab, then uncheck anything in there that you don't need to start up - or disable everything.

HPsauce:
Been there, done that as they say.  :cool: To be honest there's very little in it anyway and it's all fairly trivial, sensible and required.

Chrysalis:
first test, disable superfetch, reboot and check it again.

HPsauce:
Thanks, interesting tip but it made no difference.
Again, headed up to around 3GB and stayed there, but when I launched Process Explorer it dropped to just above 1GB. Weird.  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version