Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VPN what are my hardware options?  (Read 7116 times)

Hitman

VPN what are my hardware options?
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »

Hi,

Just signed up to a VPN via Newshosting, however I can only use 2 connections/clients and so want to run 1 connection for my whole home LAN network (rather than clients on each device as I can only use 2).

I have the following hardware at my disposal...

Unlocked HG612 v3 Modem
BT HomeHub 5 router/modem
Draytek Vigour 2820 router/adsl+ modem (wired only - no wireless)
BT Business Hub

I currently have the HH5 as my primary modem/router connected to various switches throughout my house providing both wireless and wired connections.

I'm thinking I could configure the HH5 as a wireless router only, reconnect the HG612 modem and add the Draytek in as the VPN connection (configured as a router only) eg. Infinity connection - HG612 - Draytek - HH5 - switches

Then add my VPN details to the draytek as a single connection for the whole LAN.

Is there a better way to do this (would I be better getting an all-in-one solution but cash strapped at the moment) and do I set my VPN as a client or server on the Draytek?

Thanks for any advice.

mjgr33n

Re: VPN what are my hardware options?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »

If you mean use the HH5 as a wireless access point, then it should be fine as long as you disable the DHCP server built in to it, make sure the IP address of the HH5 is in the same subnet as the Vigor but obviously a different IP address than the Vigor :P

Just remember that you will need to connect one of the LAN ports of the HH5 to one of the LAN ports of the Vigor, do not use the WAN port on the HH5 as there is no port bridging options in the HH5, so effectively it will just become a 4 port switch and wireless access point.

The wireless on the HH5 does suck ass though, you might be better of selling it and getting a cheap Access Point, let me know if you want some recommendations.

As for the VPN side of things, if you set your Vigor as the server you would not need VPN via Newshosting at all. Guess you need to let us know what you need the VPN for in order to advise you etc.

Hitman

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:00:24 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the great info, appreciated!

Yes the HH5 will be an access point/4pt switch, don't really have any issues with the wireless TBH but yes I would be looking for an allinone solution at some point, maybe an Asus DSL-AC68U?

I changed from Astraweb to NH today and took the "added" option of a VPN service for usenet and video streaming via Kodi (XBMC) media software that resides on a Qnap 453pro NAS along with wanting added protection for my home network in general.

I took up the VPN service as it has a lot of servers UK/US/Global etc.. and supports L2TP/PPTP/OpenVPN etc.. and thought I could use the Vigor as a Lan server to the VPN server.

I'm know networking well but new to VPN side of things and so welcome all the help I can get, can you explain the best approach to setting this up, not sure if I can cancel the VPN (on monthly SUB, so maybe after a month?) and would I get the same protocol encryptions and a large amount of servers to use (I presume you were referring to openVPN, when you said I wouldn't need a NH VPN?), what options do I have?

Thanks!

EDIT:
The Qnap Nas only supports PPTP/OpenVPN at this time, so was looking to have a secure L2TP connection/network that the NAS is attached to without a requirement to setup a VPN client on the NAS or any NAS configuration, is this possible?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:17:05 PM by Hitman »

mjgr33n

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »

Yes the HH5 will be an access point/4pt switch, don't really have any issues with the wireless TBH but yes I would be looking for an allinone solution at some point, maybe an Asus DSL-AC68U?

I would stay well clear of the ASUS DSL-AC68U, although it has many great features the DSL modem part of it is disastrous for 95% of ADSL and VDSL users, only people with a perfect VDSL line like myself had good success with it and even I switched to a Netgear D6400, although if you want a good router I would wait for Netgear D7000 or cope with a good 2 box solution using your HG612 and a good cable router.

In terms of VPN, if you want to use services in other countries other than your own then you would use your pc as a client not your router, if you are in another country and want to use things on your home network or use services from your home country which are not available in the country you are visiting then you set your router up with the VPN service and your laptop you are travelling with as your client, does that make sense?

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »

I would stay well clear of the ASUS DSL-AC68U, although it has many great features the DSL modem part of it is disastrous for 95% of ADSL and VDSL users, only people with a perfect VDSL line like myself had good success with it and even I switched to a Netgear D6400, although if you want a good router I would wait for Netgear D7000 or cope with a good 2 box solution using your HG612 and a good cable router.

In terms of VPN, if you want to use services in other countries other than your own then you would use your pc as a client not your router, if you are in another country and want to use things on your home network or use services from your home country which are not available in the country you are visiting then you set your router up with the VPN service and your laptop you are travelling with as your client, does that make sense?

I'd echo the above about the ASUS DSL-AC68U, but if you are happy to go with a 2 box solution the AC68U (i.e. without the built in modem) is an outstanding router with excellent VPN support

Hitman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »

Ok, thanks for the info, I take it you mean a stable landline for a 68U to work?

Perfect sense, yes I want to be able to use services not blocked in other "non-UK" countries, however my problem is I can only configure my NAS client for PPTP/OpenVPN, whereas I want to use the more secure L2TP/IPsec.

My VPN is only £2 a month so may stay with it but need help with the below scenario.

So my next question is can I set my Vigor as the VPN client and everything behind it (home network/LAN) will use said VPN connection - without configuring separate clients on each machine thus solving my NAS protocol issue?

Edit: Thanks SpudGun, looks like for the time being I may have to use a 2 box solution, i'll also look into other routers mentioned, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:58:48 PM by Hitman »

mjgr33n

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »

I'd echo the above about the ASUS DSL-AC68U, but if you are happy to go with a 2 box solution the AC68U (i.e. without the built in modem) is an outstanding router with excellent VPN support

The RT version of the ASUS is about £10 cheaper than the DSL one and has a dedicated Ethernet WAN port which is better for 2 box solution, if that is what you meant?

mjgr33n

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:59:56 PM »

Ok, thanks for the info, I take it you mean a stable landline for a 68U to work?

So my next question is can I set my Vigor as the VPN client and everything behind it (home network/LAN) will use said VPN connection - without configuring separate clients on each machine thus solving my NAS protocol issue?

Yeah I mean very stable line with about 110/40 down/up connection about 50m from the cabinet which most people do not have.

I am not sure with the Vigor but some can be set as clients as well as servers, have a look in the settings and screenshot the settings page for VPN.

OpenVPN is good enough in terms of security.

Hitman

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:11 PM »

I think this should be possible as I also want to connect an Xbox One console that doesn't have the facility to setup a client, this link shows it can be done?

https://www.reddit.com/r/xbox/comments/345ieq/how_to_setup_vpn_on_xbox_360_xbox_one/

Thanks, my connection is a stable 80/20 (73/19) and about 50m from the cab but I would use a standard AC68 and the ext modem or get an all in one router/modem.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:20:04 PM by Hitman »

mjgr33n

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:28:50 PM »

I think this should be possible as I also want to connect an Xbox One console that doesn't have the facility to setup a client, this link shows it can be done?

https://www.reddit.com/r/xbox/comments/345ieq/how_to_setup_vpn_on_xbox_360_xbox_one/

Thanks, my connection is a stable 80/20 (73/19) and about 50m from the cab but I would use a standard AC68 and the ext modem or get an all in one router/modem.

Probably not fast enough for the ASUS DSL, it is way too prone to noise, I would choose something other than that, best ones tend to be the Broadcom chipset based models.

Hitman

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:50:18 PM »

Thanks, that reminds me my FTTC is Broadcom based  :)

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:53 PM »

You may be in for a rough time!

I have hear that BT dont support VPN on residential BB (not saying they nobble it ;)? Lots of posts with users complaining of slow or no VPN connectivity on BT BB or FTTC.

If you have connection/ speed issues you may need to look at enabling "Accrpt large incomming fregmented udp/ICMP packets" or messing with the MTU.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »

VPN is fine on BT

mjgr33n

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 01:00:05 AM »

You may be in for a rough time!

I have hear that BT dont support VPN on residential BB (not saying they nobble it ;)? Lots of posts with users complaining of slow or no VPN connectivity on BT BB or FTTC.

If you have connection/ speed issues you may need to look at enabling "Accrpt large incomming fregmented udp/ICMP packets" or messing with the MTU.

I don't have any issues with VPN on BT, VPN itself has nothing to do with what ISP you use unless it is using Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT).

That being said if you on BT Infinity 1 and not 2 you might be using Carrier Grade NAT which means you would have issues with setting up a dynamic dns host and that would make it very difficult to use your router as a host for VPN on your network, if you just using an external VPN service and you are using a client to connect to said service it should not matter at all.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:13 AM »

I'm using my Asus DSL-AC68U for openvpn with my devices when in Korea. It seems to work sufficiently. I have a similar line sync and throughput to the OP and the Asus was relatively stable (no drop outs anyway). Although it lost 5-7Mb sync rate to keep it stable along with the SNR fluctuat a fair bit. It is currently being used as a router only with a HG612 doing the modem side of things.

Asus routers only use PPTP or OpenVPN though from what I found.
Pages: [1] 2