Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question on "Show All Unread Topics"  (Read 10482 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Question on "Show All Unread Topics"
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:33:41 PM »

I wonder if you can explain, when I come to the site and select "Show unread posts since last visit" it shows a list of posts which have either been replied to "or even new posts" but if I then select "Show All Unread Topics" the list then expands with other topics. Some of which I have not seen before.

Are these supposed to be this way and it's just me being a bit thick (as usual) or am I missing the point of the two different links?

Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Question on "Show All Unread Topics"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:10:34 AM »

>> Are these supposed to be this way

Yep

"Since last visit" is new posts in the period since you were last active on the forum.

"All posts" are those that you havent read, 
There may have been an occasion when you visited the forum when say perhaps you didnt read "all the since last visit".. or your browser crashed.. or you closed the browser window...  or someone made a post just before you logged off and didnt catch in that particular session...  etc.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:50:55 AM »

Ok thanks, just wondered.  :-[

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »

Kitz,

Is there anyway to get topics in the 'replies since last visit' list off my watch list?
It seems that they are all "once-replied-always-watched", I've not seen a way to 'unsubscribe'.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »

The only thing I can find related to that is looking in your profile under Notifications and Email.

Also, whilst viewing the topic you're being notified about, you can also hit the "Notify" button again (next to "Reply"), which will prompt you to disable notification... if this is what you meant?
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »

It's not notifications Chris - I never turn those on anyway.

It's in the "Show new replies to your posts list" that the problem is. Any topic that I've ever posted in will appear in that list if there's a new reply. Mostly, it's not a problem, just the topics in the games section. I've not bothered with the games for a while now, but the topics remain in my list. I'd like to remove them, but can't see how.

A bit like a watched list that doesn't allow you to unwatch/delete.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »

Ah right... yes you can't unwatch those I'm afraid - what you can do, if you're not bothered about the game sections, is just ignore those, read what you want, then click the "Mark all messages as read" button at the right hand side, that will clear their "unread" status.

That's the only way around it, unfortunately.
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »

That's pretty much how I've been doing it Chris - thanks anyway.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »

>> Are these supposed to be this way

Yep

"Since last visit" is new posts in the period since you were last active on the forum.

"All posts" are those that you havent read, 
There may have been an occasion when you visited the forum when say perhaps you didnt read "all the since last visit".. or your browser crashed.. or you closed the browser window...  or someone made a post just before you logged off and didnt catch in that particular session...  etc.
I think I may have found a way around the initial problem of not seeing all the unread posts when logging into the forum.
Apparently when the 'Read all posts used and is selected from a short-cut on the desktop' the answer seems to be to add ';all' (without the quotes) at the end of the address, as below.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=unread
to this
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=unread;all

So if people (such as myself) add the ;all to the url in our short-cut then that should solve the problem of not always seeing all of the unread posts first time.

Obviously if it's possible or feasible to alter the script to accommodate that then even better.

And no, I haven't been looking for the solution to the original post all this time, I just happened to remember asking when a similar situation arose elsewhere.  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

And there was me, thinking you'd spent the last six weeks worrying about it. ;D
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »

And there was me, thinking you'd spent the last six weeks worrying about it. ;D
What you mean 6 weeks?

I'm not buying any of your calenders.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »

Ah, I didn't notice the year. I meant 5 years and six weeks. :-[
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »

>:D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »

Apparently when the 'Read all posts used and is selected from a short-cut on the desktop' the answer seems to be to add ';all' (without the quotes) at the end of the address, as below.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=unread
to this
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=unread;all

So if people (such as myself) add the ;all to the url in our short-cut then that should solve the problem of not always seeing all of the unread posts first time.

Obviously if it's possible or feasible to alter the script to accommodate that then even better.

And no, I haven't been looking for the solution to the original post all this time, I just happened to remember asking when a similar situation arose elsewhere.  :lol:

Useful tip thanks OF..  not sure how you found that out... but well done for doing so and sharing :)

The forum software has gone through quite a lot of upgrades since the OP including the major change of SMF1 to SMF2 which involves some major changes. 

Commands like "show all posts" etc are part of the software package core code and not something I can change...  nor be inclined to want to...  I think I learnt my lesson the hard way in SMF1 and finding out that making custom tweaks in the core eventually breaks future upgrades. 
Its why I had to install SMF2 from scratch and then spend ages importing all the old forum database..  behind the scenes it took a few weeks of trial runs to get it right before I could go live  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »

In that case, then maybe it's just more relevant for people to alter their own link with the extra bit of text (;all) to allow them to see all of the unread post's at least the first time of logging on, although I don't know if the system will revert back to hiding some posts until the 'Click here to try all unread topics.' is selected again.
Pages: [1] 2