Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 Firmware and Stats  (Read 2709 times)

walkerx

• Just arrived
HG612 Firmware and Stats
« on: June 27, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »

Hi,

I currently use the HG612 which is using the SP06 firmware (I can't remember if I ever updated to the SP08 version), when running the stats it shows only Bearer 0, so would this indicate that G.INP is not enabled and do not need SP08 or should I just install SP08 as I have noticed a drop in speed over the past year (now max speed is around 68mb compared to 75mb last year) and my line has been synced for 168 days at the moment.

Also the app to produce the stats, does this just run the standard commands for viewing as looking to see if can be converted to work within smoothwall.

boost

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 Firmware and Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »

In this instance, I would update to the later version regardless.

I think all the DSL stats apps query via telnet, on LAN2, if that helps?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »

you need HowlingWolf's unlocked SP08 for G.INP, however BT may have suspended the rollout of G.INP for the moment. Either way it is recommended you upgrade to SP08 as it bitswaps better.

DSLStats would need a major re-write to be able to run on Smoothwall, as it requires a GUI, which Smoothwall does not have. The way I get around it is I have the HG612 LAN1 plugged into SW RED, and LAN2 has an IP on my GREEN subnet and is plugged directly into my GREEN switch. I then have a Raspberry Pi plugged in on my GREEN network running DSLStats and uploading to MWDS.

You could write your own scripts to gather the telnet data from the HG612 on SWE, but you'd have to figure out some way of storing the data, then you'd have to analyse it yourself.

walkerx

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the updates - I will look at updating the firmware (not sure if i done it the other way as found the download on my pc for the SPO8 from ages ago)

Also found out someone has already done a mod for smoothwall to get the stats for the HG612, it's not released as a standard mod, but they are going to send me it for testing.

I've now got this and it's started reporting into my smoothwall

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:25:33 PM by walkerx »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »

Note that you must follow asbokid's unlock procedure to upgrade the firmware. Trying to do it via the standard webui will fail silently; it will appear to have worked but it doesn't work because the webui expects a different image format. The broadcom bootloader is the only successful method of updating.

walkerx

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »

updated my hg612 and still running the stats through smoothwall saving me having to keep running on a pc

the smoothwall mod uses telnet to gather the information from the hg612 and was modified for g.inp on line

seems to be working fine on mine

I also have the ECI modem from when got originally installed - would it make any difference if i used that if i got it modded
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:45:18 PM by walkerx »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »

Very cool mod :)

walkerx

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »

well after performing the install i upgraded the firmware on the modem and these now stats it's logged since then

anything