Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL USG and Sky Fibre  (Read 2735 times)

BazzaUK

• Just arrived
ZyXEL USG and Sky Fibre
« on: June 22, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »

Hi all,

Wondered if you could help me at all.

I have a ZyXEL USG40 and Sky Fibre Pro as my ISP. The problem I have is that I'm currently using the Sky hub (modem/router) to connect to the internet as they don't allow you to use your own hardware. So, currently, my USG is connected to the DMZ of the Sky hub (SR102).

This works, but is really annoying as I cannot get a true WAN-IP into my USG device. So my WAN-IP is always simply the IP of the DMZ port (192.168.1.254).

Is there a way I can somehow get around this issue? On the old Sky hubs, you could set it to "Router Mode" and this would act as a modem-only setup. However, Sky do not allow this configuration with the SR102 hub.

Any thoughts on this? I'm happy to either ditch the SR102 and move back to a BT Openreach modem with the USG connected directly to it, but my understanding is that this requires a very specific setup (I have already extracted my username and password from the SR102, which is hard-coded into it)... but apparently, you need to be able to pass this over via a "DHCP Client ID" (option 61) and support MER format.

Has anybody done this before with the ZyXEL USG series? Or does anybody know a simple way, perhaps via routing or virtual interface, to get the TRUE WAN IP into the USG device?

Any help would be VERY welcome as this has been driving me nuts for months. I have attached an example of how my network is laid out (IP's are just for demo purposes), to help you to see the problem.

Thanks in advance

Baz
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:43:45 PM by BazzaUK »

BazzaUK

• Just arrived
Re: ZyXEL USG and Sky Fibre
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »

Nobody?  :(

ip75

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »

I don't think you can do what you want with the SR102 router - you would need it to be running as a bridge and that isn't currently supported on the Sky router.

However, one thing that might be worth trying is connecting the Openreach modem up with the Zyxel modem, and don't configure any credentials at all - make the router obtain its IP address via DHCP. Don't configure PPPoE. Some people are reporting that on some exchanges, Sky no longer require a value for option 61. This didn't work on my exchange, but it has worked for others. So probably worth a go.

ip75

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:11:19 PM »

Oh, one other thing - when you do this you might need to wait up to an hour for the original IP address lease to expire before the connection will work.

BazzaUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »

Thanks for that :) Really appreciate your help

I wondered if maybe it was possible to pass over the "Option 61" through the HG612 with a hacked firmware, effectively turning it into a "full" connection device and a secondary device (router/firewall) could be connected, regardless of whether it is MER compatible or not.

Im open to all and any suggestions

Baz

ip75

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »

I believe it is possible to run the HG612 as a full router. However, the problem then would be the same as the problem you have now: the Zyxel router wouldn't have the WAN IP address. It would basically be the same setup as you currently have, but with the HG612 instead of the SR102. I think.  :)

BazzaUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »

Hmmmmm good point!

Is there such a thing as a router/device that can somehow pass the details but then pass over the WAN IP? Im happy to pay silly money if that's what it takes haha

ip75

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »

I think would recommend trying my original suggestion first. If you can access the Sky network with no Option 61 string then you already have everything you need.