Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Netgear D7000  (Read 96014 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Netgear D7000
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2017, 12:07:41 PM »

Hi

Hi.

I hadn't considered the amount of power they would consume, but perhaps that would be mitigated if the radios were turned off. However, you are absolutely correct that I'd be paying for functionality that wouldn't be used, but I'd like a device with an up to date Broadcom chipset which the D7000 has. I already have two HG612 modems, but I drop ~10Mbps across my two lines with these. I've also tried the VMG1312-B10Ds on loan from my ISP, but they had the same issue so I want to stay clear of the ZyXels.

Thanks ... Vic.

You say you drop ~10Mbps across two lines, what is that you use that gets ~10Mbps more?

I wouldn't fixate on the Broadcom chipset version, there are newer ones but the modem silicon are essentially the same on all of them, ironically newer Broadcom chipsets can be lesser performing due to integrating separate chip functions onto the same chip to reduce the bill of materials, which can result in a bit more interference, although generally other things like the general design of the analogue/power circuits can make a bigger difference, as well as what happens to work best on your particular line characteristics.

Regards

Phil

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2017, 12:43:14 PM »

Thanks for your insight, Phil.

I'm currently using 2 x ZyXel VMG1312-B10As which appear to work best on my two bonded VDSL2 lines and I would be very happy to retain them were it not for this PPPoE issue. I'll maybe order a D7000 for evaluation and see how it performs.

Cheers,

Vic.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »

Well I went ahead and got a D7000 and have it set to modem only mode and PPPoE connected successfully. I’ve tried a couple of remote PPPoE resets and didn’t see the issue I have with the ZyXel devices, but I suppose time will tell.

Setup was fairly straight forward, I configured it in modem/router mode initially and then flipped the setting once I had it setup. I had changed the LAN address and disabled DHCP and was happily surprised to see it appear on the network in modem only mode. PPPoE cable in port1 and network cable in port 2 with no configuration necessary. Sync speed is pretty much as the VMG1312-B10A, just a wee bit less.

I enabled telnet access as per michty_me’s post (thanks for that :thumbs:), but am wondering if it is permanent as I had to rerun the command after rebooting. DslStats is working with it, so I am happy although I now will have to think about the purchase of a second one! :'(

Vic.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:12:36 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »

You will need to apply the telnet everytime you reboot. I believe there is an easier way but I cannot remember how.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2017, 05:54:17 PM »

Ok, thanks.

adrenalize

« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »

You will need to apply the telnet everytime you reboot. I believe there is an easier way but I cannot remember how.

You can try just entering the URL (with corresponding IP) http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug
as opposed to using telnetenable.exe I think. Enter "root" to log in. Weirdly using telnetable drops you in at the root prompt without login.

On a slightly different note does anyone know where in the filesystem the persistent settings for everything including openvpn are stored?

The settings for the "mobile" config at /etc/server_phone.conf has an error as it hard codes the server IP to 192.168.2.0 so I can connect using OpenVPN on my Android phone but I get 192.168.2.2 allocated - any changes to the files are not persistent on reboot.

Iain

« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »

Netgear have issues a new version of firmware, you now have to enter the username and password to get into Telnet, and dslstats need the same now - thought this may help some people spend less time than I just have  :cool:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »

That is useful to know. Thank you for providing the information.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »

Netgear have issues a new version of firmware, you now have to enter the username and password to get into Telnet, and dslstats need the same now - thought this may help some people spend less time than I just have  :cool:

I was just away to ask the question of 'Why am I not getting any data now, Have they removed the function?' until I read Iains post, So thank you Iain  ;D

On a side note, I upgraded my firmware as I have been experiencing a strange lockup of the device about once a month. It seems a common issue though so I doubt it will help.

rbz5416

« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2018, 10:52:55 PM »

Anyone currently using RouterStats Lite witha D7000 v1? I can't get either the preset or user defined to respond.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »

can you use DSLstats with this router (Broadcom version)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Iain

« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2018, 03:49:39 PM »

Yes you can - see this helpful guide on how to do it.

Someone posted a link on how to do it, so I can't take any credit, but I did copy the instructions.

To set up DSL Stats, I used these settings:            
Modem/Router model  -              
IP Address: - set to the IP of your router            
Telnet login name: - leave blank      admin      
Telnet password - leave blank      password      
Telnet port - 23            
tick the box  " Requires command to enter shell"            
Shell command - root            
CLI command prefix - xdslctl            

with these settings it began collecting data for me. HTH and HAND :)            

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2018, 03:51:04 PM »

Yes you can - see this helpful guide on how to do it.

Someone posted a link on how to do it, so I can't take any credit, but I did copy the instructions.

To set up DSL Stats, I used these settings:            
Modem/Router model  -              
IP Address: - set to the IP of your router            
Telnet login name: - leave blank      admin      
Telnet password - leave blank      password      
Telnet port - 23            
tick the box  " Requires command to enter shell"            
Shell command - root            
CLI command prefix - xdslctl            

with these settings it began collecting data for me. HTH and HAND :)

thanks  :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]