Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Netgear D7000  (Read 96009 times)

sharpz44

Re: Netgear D7000
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »

So is this Netgear d7000 good, would it be better than my billion 8800 axl (bridged) to my Asus ac87u, I did own the r7000 when it first came out but sent that back due to dodgy firmware ,which they did resolve in the end and is now a good router.Thanks

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »

This my opinion on it so far. Others obviously vary as you have maybe seen through the thread.

I've tried 5 different modems and modem/routers since getting fibre. All have maintained my line to the usual standard with one of these degrading my line.

I bought the d7000 as I thought the d6400 was stable, could get good stats via telnet but lacked in WiFi capability. The d7000 is certainly stable just as you would expect from a broadcom based chip. The WiFi is great, I seem to have tripled my throughput speed in my garage which is a short walk out my house and across the drive way.
As I said earlier in my post, most other modems just maintained my line but this has actually reduced my interleaving depth after 3 days use, reduced my INP  (slightly) and giving me a fraction of the FEC's and CRC's my last device gave.

I'm very pleased with it so far so its a thumbs up from me. Remember though, every line is different so what works for one, may not for the other.

sharpz44

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2015, 07:10:06 AM »

This my opinion on it so far. Others obviously vary as you have maybe seen through the thread.

I've tried 5 different modems and modem/routers since getting fibre. All have maintained my line to the usual standard with one of these degrading my line.

I bought the d7000 as I thought the d6400 was stable, could get good stats via telnet but lacked in WiFi capability. The d7000 is certainly stable just as you would expect from a broadcom based chip. The WiFi is great, I seem to have tripled my throughput speed in my garage which is a short walk out my house and across the drive way.
As I said earlier in my post, most other modems just maintained my line but this has actually reduced my interleaving depth after 3 days use, reduced my INP  (slightly) and giving me a fraction of the FEC's and CRC's my last device gave.

I'm very pleased with it so far so its a thumbs up from me. Remember though, every line is different so what works for one, may not for the other.

Thanks for that info,like the idea of the interleave dropping, I work offshore on the rigs and when I went away my interleave depth was 1435, which is very heavy for some strange reason ,my HEC errors were also zero when I left so will see what it`s like when I get home after a good up time of around 25 days and see if the DLM has improved it. I may buy this if I see poor Int depth. Thanks for your help   

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2015, 07:29:02 AM »

Hi

So is this Netgear d7000 good, would it be better than my billion 8800 axl (bridged) to my Asus ac87u, I did own the r7000 when it first came out but sent that back due to dodgy firmware ,which they did resolve in the end and is now a good router.Thanks

I had the D7000 but returned it.  It's no R7000 and my impression compared to an array of other routers/modems was it was cut to the bone in terms of build quality and options.  The D7000 has started the same way as the R7000 with firmware not finished and lacking features that should be on something from day one. Netgear may finish the firmware and add more features, then again they may just replace it with a D7500 (looking identical!) and forget all about the D7000, such is the Netgear way. 

The 1GHz CPU is a waste of electricity as unless you are using it as a NAS box or have hundreds of clients connected, it's over kill, and IP packet processing is all off-loaded anyway, the CPU doesn't deal with that.

Regards

Phil

mjgr33n

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »

In my opinion it is, it is certainly faster than the D6400 and you get that dual core 1Ghz and faster Wireless throughput for only slightly more than the D6400, despite several people not liking Netgear and having issues with past routers, they seem to be providing firmware updates regularly on their products these days. Also I would get odd slow downs on the D6400 which I assume was just due to my overly demanding network, I don't have any such issues with the D7000, although not tried the D6400 since it had a firmware update the other day, I will keep the D6400 for my family in case I take the D7000 with me if I start working on a contract elsewhere.

So far I am certainly very happy with mine )))

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »

I've not owned any Netgear products since owning the dg834gt many years ago. Never had any issue with that so wasn't too fussed about trying them again and very happy so far.
I will admit, my needs are minimal in a modem router so it suits me fine, if you simply must have a lot of features and every imaginable option to change then this most certainly won't be up your street.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »

Also to add, I was initially waiting on the new Billion 8900 series devices but they keep getting put back further and further. By the time they appear now they will be outdated I would imagine.

ricke17

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »

Those who have been following my "drama" with Youview & IPTV will be happy to know that thanks to @michty_me, I now have a contact at Netgear whom has been emailing me various things I should do to congifure the D7000 so that IPTV will work.

Nothing has worked so far - last email said (and sorry for his poor English):

"Hi Rick,

OK. using a app to play IPTV from internet.
I maybe know where the cause. The IGMP should bind to WAN1(Internet interface), rather than WAN2 (IPTV interface).
I will send you a test FW to try tomorrow, which make the IGMP bind to WAN1."

Can someone decipher what he means?

And if it means what I think it does, then this test f/w should allow me to use my current set up, which is as follows:

LAN 1 - 10 M Ethernet Cable to a TP Link switch (behind the TV) - this connects Apple TV and other devices AND the Youview Box
LAN 2 - NAS
LAN 3 - NAS
LAN 4 - Empty

Currently, he suggests that I can only use IPTV on 1 LAN - thus, the configurations I have been using is as above but LAN 4 has an ethernet cable connecting straight to the Youview box.

This is becoming such a mission!

Rick.

ricke17

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »

After weeks of support from you guys and thanks to a member putting me in touch with a Netgear person, we have lift off!

Plusnet TV is working!

Rick.

adrenalize

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »

Glad you got it working. I was trying to make sense of the Netgear response above but some things were a little odd!

Is it worth you posting how to set it up for others? Did you have to use modified f/w? I guess you might have done as the standard f/w seems to only cater for IPTV hanging off a specific port(s) separate to internet ports.

ricke17

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:39 AM »

Here is the information (along with a picture he refers to) I was supplied with.

The things that you need to set are:

Under Advanced tab->Internet Setup->IPTV (as shown in the screenshot)

1.       Check  ‘Enable this Interface’

2.       Check ‘Use VLAN_id’

3.       Set VLAN_id= 101

4.       Set priority= 0

5.       Under IPTV IP Address: Check ‘Use Static IP Address’

6.       Fill in ‘Static IP Address’, ‘IP Subnet Mask’, ‘Gateway IP Address’ like the screenshot

7.       Check ‘Use these DNS Servers’

8.       Fill in ‘Primary DNS’ and ‘Secondary DNS’

9.       Click the ‘Apply’ button.

I am using test firmware - however in a further reply the guy stated:

Next step, we will hard code these settings into Plusnet auto setup, so when user does out of the box installation, run auto setup wizard/genie, select ISP=Plusnet, all internet and IPTV connection will be built automatically, so user does not need to manually configure it.

Rick.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ricke17

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »

And, FYI, This is my set up (you don't need to use 1 port on the router for the IPTV) which works!

LAN1 - 10m Ethernet Cable to Gigabit TP-Link Switch connecting (amongst other things) Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV.......AND Youview Box
LAN2 - NAS Deivce
LAN3- NAS Device
LAN4 - VOIP Device

it's working like a dream.

Rick.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »

That is great news rick. Glad you got it working. Hope you are happy with your setup now.
Tom has been a great help sorting stuff out and making tweaks to firmware.

ricke17

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »

If it wasn't for you reaching out and getting me in touch with Tom, the D7000 would have been boxed up and sent back.

I have managed to configure static IP's for my NAS devices and static routes, plus have set up DNS on it too.

It is a good router, wifi speeds are good too.

Thanks again matey.

Rick.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

Not a problem at all pal.
Just glad you got it sorted. Tom seems a good guy and already thanked him for all the help.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

anything