Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Danish TDC - Bonding, Vplus, G.fast  (Read 25319 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Danish TDC - Bonding, Vplus, G.fast
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »

We'll see what we see I guess...

And that is a statement in which I concur.  :drink:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »

You're looking at it the wrong way around ;)

Pah!  :D

I can only see xDSL making use of transceivers at each end of a metallic pathway. As long as signals from those transceivers do not leak from the metallic pathway and interfere with licensed broadcast transmissions, all well and good.  :)

Indeed & I rather suspect it will be an issue in terms of interference in (for example) terraced houses where the master socket can be some distance from the entry point of the drop cable. The cabling there is likely to require replacing or it'll cause some issues for neighbours listening to FM.

If the cost of remedial work (for g.fast to get to the headline speeds) facing the consumer was more widely appreciated then I think people would stop wittering on about how expensive proper fibre deployment would be.

As an aside a friend in Sweden has had some disruption to his life as the owners of the block of flats ripped out & replaced "old" cabling. The building has had FTTB since 2009 or so with the service being something like 100/40Mbps max (no problem for anyone). They replaced the VDSL2 box with a super-duper g.fast box and the speeds were "somewhat underwhelming" according to my friend - I think he got an extra 20Mbps aggregate, can't remember but it wasn't much.  There was a fair bit of sync instability as well for some flats. Anyway he sent me a picture of what had been installed when he was at work & its got a fibre connection now as well - owners covering their options this time. The block of flats is 11 years old. Edit - he now has a 200/100Mbps service (he can choose how to split the 300Mbps aggregation he pays for). I think in the couple of decades I've known him I have got to within 20Mbps of his downstream once :D Edit2 - the thing that really irritates me is that his brother lives way the hell up in the north of Sweden and still has faster broadband than my 80/20....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:15:57 PM by rizla »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »

A clue as to how BT may be confident of getting those speeds even with all the masking and interference is they pushing to change the spec of g.fast to allow higher bitloading.

Also another clue is they pushing for bigger nodes, more user's per node which worryingly probably also means longer copper length per node.

BT could approach this either by just deploying from cabinets or nodes only near cabinets for minimum cost, or they may do what people who are thinking positively think they will do which is push nodes right out within 100m of each property, but if they do the latter the cost wont be much cheaper than FTTP which is why I think they wont do that.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2015, 10:20:09 AM »

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »

> Looking at it from my viewpoint, the sooner full fibre optical links are used, the better for all concerned.  ;)

Hallelujah!

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »

Vplus is being released in my area, will the HG612 support it? Does it just need the G.INP firmware?

http://manx.net/isle-of-man-news/83167/manx-telecom-invests-in-faster-fibre-broadband
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:33:55 PM by bilbokitz »
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »

Vplus is being released in my area, will the HG612 support it?

I very much doubt it. The HG612 is just a modified HG610 which, in turn, is really quite elderly.

Does it just need the G.INP firmware?

No, I don't think any firmware update will confer extra abilities to that old hardware.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »

The HG612 can probably handle enough, on 17MHz, to reach 100Mbps.

However, IIRC, the RJ45 connectors are 100Mbps, not gigabit. You couldn't access the 200Mbps package even if the modem hardware could cope with that sync speed.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »

Thanks for the response, I'll be quite happy with 100 assuming I can get that, I am definitely not paying a further premium for 200. I was syncing at over 80 when I first got VDSL dropped over time to 60.

At 300 - 400 Metres from the cabinet hopefully vplus will at least bring me 80 back.
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »

Vplus uses profile 35b which the HG612 wont support given its age

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »

Indeed, the HG612 can support profile 30a, but not the newer profile 35b (VPlus).
It just won't sync at all. You will need to buy a much newer modem that lists VDSL2 profile 35b/VPlus support.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

My understanding is I will still benefit from the vectoring even if I cannot use 35b?

What similar device would do the job? My vdsl plate is in my garage with the modem on the wall above it, I have my main router in the centre of my house.
I have an old n66u doing nothing

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »

It sounds to me like they are just uncapping the 80mb service to 100mb. They may be introducing vectoring to help achieve this. Your existing VDSL2 hardware should be able to use this.

The new 200mb service will be the VPlus/profile 35b. This will require new hardware, but the ISP is likely to supply it.

The above is just an educated guess. The article you linked to doesn't give much technical detail.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »

I'll keep an eye out for more tech details and post when available, I'll also grab my stats now as not done for ages, and again when changes are implemented and post the differences.

The ISP's here deploy Fritzboxes now in the main, but the main ISP originally supplied the Netgear DGN3700 for VDSL (With the original Netgear firmware which did support vdsl before being removed in a later update) which I would guess a fair few people still have so don't know how that fits in. I still have one at work, will see if I get offered an upgrade.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]