Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Windows 10 for Free  (Read 18390 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 for Free
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »

I'm going to be installing Linux over my wife's W8.1  system on her laptop. Not because I am a Linux geek but because she is totally fed up with it not behaving itself. She is sick of stuff requiring a reboot when she wants to use it, yes she can defer it (mostly but not always) but that's not the point it should not be required. On her old laptop which had Linux she was more than happy with it but this new (relatively) one had to wait for Linux to catch up with Nvidia Optimus (an Nvidia issue not a Linux one), and now it has I will be finally removing Windows from it. One of the final straws was this update thing, Windows has a totally useless update process - the design of Windows requiring updates and reboots so often is so 19th century it is not true. I can set up a Linux system for her which looks exactly like her W8.1 system that she does not notice and the likelyhood of it requiring a reboot is so small, even when it does she does not notice as it does not complain and just gets on with it on shutdown and the next boot.

I will continue with W7 for my weather station, not because I like it but because the author has not provided a suitable Linux version of the software. The Linux software which does exist is not yet good enough, but as soon as it is be assured I willl dump  Windows for good.

Sorry rant off - but Windows is so 19th century its not true.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »

Have just reserved my free install of Windows 10 and have two boot options Vista and Windows 8.1 guess which one is better ?  ;) it's 8.1 but my mind likes Vista now you see it, it's not the change of OS it's the change of familiarity which scares the user.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 09:36:07 PM »

Good tip in regards to disabling windows update service.

As far as i know the win10 update applet will not automatically install windows 10, I think it will just auto pre download it and then allow installation after the release date.

I dont like how microsoft wont allow a clean install until "after" a in place upgrade has been done but I guess its better than not having the option at all.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 10:08:41 PM »

'IF' a return to a previous OS is wanted then this will either have to be a complete reinstall or a install of a backup copy.

For the install of a previous OS I wonder if MS will still have the list of drivers available or will people have to start a search of independent software companies website to be able to get drivers to get their system back working the way it was?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »

They wont support reverting the OS.

By clean install I meant clean install of windows 10.

The best way to downgrade afterwards is to restore an image backup if possible which will of course reinstate all previous active drivers.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 10:38:05 PM »

The best way to downgrade afterwards is to restore an image backup if possible which will of course reinstate all previous active drivers.

Which realistically means 'Upgrading' for the individual concerned.

Although there are a great many backup programs around, I still prefer my ancient floppy disc copy of Norton Ghost Backup.
(Used with my USB floppy disc unit)

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »

If MS have any sense they will make it such that once you have upgraded via the approved path thereby using the same license key then this key is no longer valid for a downgrade back to the previous OS win7/8/vista that it was originally used on.
so even if you have an image - you are f*****ed.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 07:03:34 AM »

If MS have any sense they will make it such that once you have upgraded via the approved path thereby using the same license key then this key is no longer valid for a downgrade back to the previous OS win7/8/vista that it was originally used on.

That is very likely, on the plusnet forum I recommended to people to try out win10 using the enterprise 90 day evaluation iso first, which then wont trash your license.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »

Until someone cracks their WGA or whatever they will use

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »

I got the offer this morning - don't think I'll be updating straight away.

It's going to have to be a heck of a lot better than Win 7 for me to be persuaded upgrade, so as ever I'll wait and see what the general feedback is on it first.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:26:12 PM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 11:17:08 PM »

One thing that worrys me about Windows 10 is the lack of Windows Media Center as i use it all the time for DVB-T2 to record programs and watch live TV.

On Windows 8.X is was an option to download WMC and it was free before a certain date, when reading up on Windows 10 and also had the preview up and runing it said you could use your old WMC 8.X licence key but you would lose your automatic updates so never bothered to experiment into this.

Is WMC gone on MS10 or will be able to use the MS 8.1 version ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 03:04:47 AM »

its gone.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »

use it all the time for DVB-T2 to record programs and watch live TV.
What sort of tuner is it, most come with suitable programs to do that.
e.g. my main PC has a Hauppauge tuner (PCI so internal) and I use WinTV8.
Had to pay a few pennies to upgrade from WinTV7 which does all you stated, but that isn't mandatory.
(TV8 has some extra features I use at times, especially streaming from the tuner to a wireless device such as an iPad)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 11:59:38 PM »

What sort of tuner is it, most come with suitable programs to do that.
e.g.

The tuner is PCTV Nano stick T2 (290e) i have to use TVcenter on vista to watch HD & SD channels and can use windows media center but it can only display SD channels yet on windows 8.1 media center i can watch HD & SD channels.

I can say that the TVCENTER software is crap compared to Microsofts media center !
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4