Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet TV package announced ???  (Read 12041 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Plusnet TV package announced ???
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:40:20 AM »

See the link below:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/broadband-isp-plusnet-quietly-launches-new-youview-based-tv-service.html

Pretty good going seeing as I accidentally clicked a box to show interest and it is announced before I have received any information.  :lol:
Up to Plusnets usual standard of Customer Service then  ;D

Does not look that good and bodes ill if the network is going to be hammered with TV as well.
Note well the potential charges if you need a 'TV Enginner' to call out.  :o

I eait to see if I get any information or maybe even a preferential deal  :blush: as I am an existing customer, silly deals seem to be flavour of the month !
(Probably very unlikely seeing as I am a captive customer ..... silly deals are for new customers only.)

What does any other Plusnet Customer think ?
Are you going to take the bait ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Plusnet TV package announced ???
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »

yeah it seems as if marketing and new customers is all plusnet are bothered about now.

Some people still have their head stuck in the sand claiming the issues are something minor only affecting a few people.  Even after plusnet admitted to the issues their side.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »

not interested in TV, I want an internet connection that operates reliably at line rate or close to it 24/7 without excessive latency or jitter.

Al1264

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »

Does not look that good and bodes ill if the network is going to be hammered with TV as well.

AFAIK the multicast IPTV won't even touch Plusnet's network so, hopefully, no extra worries there.
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »

Correct, its a multicast service delivered by BTWholesale so doesnt touch the ISP network.

Wholesale Content Connect

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »

Actually I am Very Interested.    £5 per month I think is a fantastic price for what you get.

TBH if it wasn't for my situation right now (dad, hospital, financial impact of travel costs of an additional few hundred quid per month that have been going on my Visa) I would be signing up today. 
In fact Im almost on the verge of saying soddit and getting it because its right up my street.   Especially when I saw the available channels as about the only channel I really miss since ditching sky is Discovery etc.

Link to main page

https://www.plus.net/tv/

Prices
Price List

Channels

Theres an interesting list half way down this page which also gives a comparison with other providers
http://www.a516digital.com/p/freeview-youview-channel-listing.html
"Additional channels provided by BT, Plusnet and TalkTalk. "

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »

Couple of dumb questions from me.  Does anyone know because I cant find the answers on the site.

1) Will I need to connect via LAN (I ditched the 20m of CAT5 when I got the SmartTV which uses wifi & the Apple TV also uses wifi).

2) If I attached a box to my main TV, what about the upstairs TV - best way of doing this?

-----------
ETA

you should use Broadband Extenders or Powerline Adapters to connect your YouView+ box to the Internet. A wireless connection is not possible.

Damnit that's really put a dampener on it.   I ripped out the massive length of CAT5 about a year ago  :'(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:21:21 PM by kitz »
-----

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:42:19 PM »

you should use Broadband Extenders or Powerline Adapters to connect your YouView+ box to the Internet. A wireless connection is not possible.

Damnit that's really put a dampener on it.   I ripped out the massive length of CAT5 about a year ago  :'(

sure wireless is possible, get a cheap router that can be run in client mode (may need dd-wrt) and use that as a bridge.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »

Correct, its a multicast service delivered by BTWholesale so doesnt touch the ISP network.

Wholesale Content Connect

had a quick read.

So its effectively a different network to normal FTTC traffic although plusnet still will pay 70% of the normal fee for bandwidth used, the question will be if they take this out of their normal capacity budget or it will be treated completely seperatly.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »

sure wireless is possible, get a cheap router that can be run in client mode (may need dd-wrt) and use that as a bridge.

Reconfigure/reuse the Thompson/Speedtouch router that Plusnet provide or lay more CAT5  ::)  ;D
If you don't want to run CAT5 all over the inside of the house get some external grade CAT5 and go around the outside.
(I already had the  phone cable routing around the outside so followed the same route with the external grade CAT5, looks no more untidy than the phone cable  ;))

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:09:26 PM »

I would check first if your old router has the wireless repeater function first before going down the custom firmware route.

Installing custom firmware

Some routers don’t have repeater mode built-in, while others have the capacity but require you to install custom firmware to unlock this functionality. There is a risk that you could brick your router and, although most can be revived by sticking a pen into its reset button, it could invalidate the router’s warranty.

Because of this and a more convoluted process, only advanced users should consider this. The DD-WRT website provides custom firmware and specific instructions for some routers.

If all else fails, you may need to buy a wireless booster or new router. Wireless networks aren’t always ideal.