Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC cab - How to lookup location & type of DSLAM  (Read 68101 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC cab - How to lookup location & type of DSLAM
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Many thanks to Kitz for a very valuable addition.

Just to remind you when you are looking at the increasing numbers of "Unavailable" FTTCs without sufficient ducts or tie cables. If you use the BT Wholesale number checker that will always say services are available IF that line already has a VDSL service. It will also say "This line has jumpers in place." If you use the BT Wholesale address checker then it will tell you truthfully if VDSL services are available or a (Often fictitious) future availability date estimate BUT IT IS LIABLE TO CHANGE. It seems it is policy to declare a future date just under a month in advance which is changed the day before that estimated date is reached. The longest unavailability period I've recorded so far is 7 months, and still counting. N.B.just because a trench is dug half way and a duct added, that is no guarantee that the second half will be done within a certain time period. I suspect that's purely down to the workload of the contractor or how the work is prioritised by BT. If VDSL is not installed then there's no mention of jumpers but an extra line is added at the bottom saying "The DP is external to the end user premises" BUT I've not seen the wording if the DP is internal. Just to recap - the address checker does always tell the truth on availability (or not).

Perhaps BS can confirm or otherwise and possibly add a little more ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »

Alas, I have no dealings whatsoever in this particular arena, Walter. We used to get an e-mail informing us of Cabs that had recently gone 'Live' and ones that were due soon, a marvellous idea that allowed some of us to 'spread the word' on behalf of the business and of course, the EU.

So they scrapped it.  ::)

My involvement is always post-order, and as such, :) have nothing to offer.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »

If VDSL is not installed then there's no mention of jumpers but an extra line is added at the bottom saying "The DP is external to the end user premises" BUT I've not seen the wording if the DP is internal.

The address checker reports the same "DP is external to the end user premises" message here, where we most certainly have VDSL installed.

I think this line has nothing to do with VDSL, and is just a response to data about the line, based on the DP type:
- External ones perhaps sit on the outside wall of a building (which is the case here)
- Internal DPs perhaps sit in a comms cupboard in a block of flats
- Overhead DP, at the top of a pole
- Underground DP, in a chamber

The old Analysys Mason report on the sample layout of ducts an poles (from 2010) reported these 4 types of DP.

dannyd21

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »

There's a page on the main website which gives detailed steps about various ways to get information on the location of you cab and also how to find out what make/model of FTTC cab/DSLAM it is.

FTTC Fibre Cab Lookup

This has helped me greatly, it helped me identify my cab as being a Hauwei 288. As you can see form the attached Picture, Pcp in the middle? Hauwei on the right and i don't know what the HUGE grey box is on the left.

I was given an Eci 1B modem 2 years ago, unknowingly. I am now going to purchase an unlocked Hauwei HG612 3B from the bay.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone on this forum for you continued feedback, help and knowledge.

Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 05:50:02 PM »

Hello Dan. Welcome to the Kitz forum. Thank you for your feedback on how useful you found this topic.

As for the grey cabinet?  :shrug2:  It might be traffic lights control, water pumping control, TPON, etc.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:41:59 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]