Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel sbg3300N combined VDSL modem and router  (Read 2437 times)

Galaxynik

• Just arrived
Zyxel sbg3300N combined VDSL modem and router
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:57:56 PM »

Right a heads up for anybody considering the Zyxel SBG3300n router, it appears to have a problem which is major for me (may not be an issue for anybody else).

After a while the wireless develops internal isolation,  connection with wireless to the internet is fine but when this issue hits (after 8-24 hours) wireless clients cannot access any hosts on the internal network (file servers media servers Kodi remote control etc - I have a file server, 2 media servers, OWFS one wire server). Enabling the wireless on a couple of TG582n which I am using as switches in the kids rooms to give XBOX and computer connectivity and disabling the wireless on the zyxel allows routing to the servers - its pretty definitely an internal routing problem in the zyxel. Can ping router from wireless devices and vice versa but get "host unreachable" for anything else on the wired network.

Rebooting or power cycling doesn't sort it only a factory reset and re-configure or loading up a good configuration (which involves a reboot as part of the process). This happens whether connected with VDSL or Ethernet through BT modem -

According to Zyxel support this device has no layer 2 isolation, support  by email was initially slow but once answered was fine, after about 5 emails they told me to RMA the router, since they class it as a business machine they sent out a replacement which arrived less than 24 hours from RMA, they told me not to return the first (so now I have 2 :-)) bad news is the replacement shows exactly the same behaviour.

I did some further testing, loading up a "good" configuration cleared the problem for a while, loading up a "bad" configuration (backed up when the problem occured) did not sort the problem out.  Comparing the two configuration files show that the "bad" file was missing a block of 13 lines (out of 1500), copying the block into the "bad" file from the "good" and then uploading the result cleared the problem (for a while).  So it seems that the router is internally changing its configuration - its got a mind of its own. Zyxel support have gone very quiet now and I havent heard from them for days :-(

Its a real shame because without the isolation problem its a nice router - solid fast vdsl performance, good wireless range, good range of options and not too difficult to set up and ... ports out of the back.

Currently running on a draytek 2860n+ but the plethora of firmwares for this means a lot of guesswork which works best.

The last I heard from Zyxel they wanted the configuration files but that was weeks ago - nothing since
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:01:54 PM by Galaxynik »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Zyxel sbg3300N combined VDSL modem and router
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:24:24 AM »

Hi

I had similar issues on the ZyXEL VMG8924, it would crash emailing the event log out, then on restarting would only get so far along the boot process than freeze.  The only way to get it working again was to use a paperclip and press the reset button to load a default configuration.

Sounds like they may be using the same bit of code that manages the configuration, and due to some error the configuration is being written where it shouldn't be, then at some point the configuration file is getting written over and corrupted causing various problems.

Regards

Phil