Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: G.INP - Compatible Modem/Routers  (Read 48630 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
G.INP - Compatible Modem/Routers
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »

Admin Note:-  Ive split discussion about G.INP compatible modems off from the main G.INP rollout discussion to form its own thread here.

The ASUS DSL-AC68U apparently appears to be fine on G.INP, a few members have it on the overclockers forum. A bug however causes the OpMode to show blank at the moment (when G.INP is enabled), I haven't seen G.INP on mine yet (ECI cabinet here) but with the latest beta on the forum thread ESNP has fixed the stability issues for me and some others. Anyway, you might want to list that router as working with G.INP at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:35:17 AM by kitz »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Re: G.INP - Compatible Modem/Routers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »

G.993.5 (Vectoring) is supported according to the specs.

If it is fully compliant with the standard it must be able to support G.988.4 (G.INP) as G.993.5 can support lines that use G.988.4 (G.INP)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:59:39 PM by AArdvark »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »

As it doesn't mention G.Inp I don't think it supports G.Inp.

They aren't standards, they are recommendations.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »

The ASUS DSL-AC68U apparently appears to be fine on G.INP, a few members have it on the overclockers forum. A bug however causes the OpMode to show blank at the moment (when G.INP is enabled), I haven't seen G.INP on mine yet (ECI cabinet here) but with the latest beta on the forum thread ESNP has fixed the stability issues for me and some others. Anyway, you might want to list that router as working with G.INP at the moment.

Thanks Ixel, I did look but I couldnt see anything definite either way for the ASUS which is why I left it off both lists.  Ive just been over to OC but I cant see any stats that indicate for sure that g.inp is working on them as it should.  I came across a post where someone indicated theyve lost about 9Mb of sync, (not sure if that is related or not... or if it was suffering the same ECI symptoms).   Its a veerrrrry long thread to read through, so I was only scanning.

If you want to point me to a post where it is clear that it is working, then Im happy to add it and the link :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »

As it doesn't mention G.Inp I don't think it supports G.Inp.

They aren't standards, they are recommendations.

Correct my bad 'recommendations'

It is confusing when a Standards Organisation issues recommendations.  ;D
I see it as 'shades of grey' but fair comment.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »

I did quote G.993.5 as per the spec for the Asus Router and quickly read the ITU published doc (Recommendation). I am sure that is unambiguous.

Send from LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »

ASUS DSL-AC68U is supposed to support G.INP, see a screenshot of the DSL settings page here: http://i.imgur.com/5SkU5BL.png

Regarding G.INP posts on OcUK forum for this device, mjgr33n is the only member so far to indicate that he's on G.INP. Indications being that he previously had around 100 CRC errors per day and now he has none since the 'opmode' went blank. He's on a Huawei cabinet based on ATUCID, 'b5004244434da485', being BDCM. Opmode also going blank seems to be another indication to me that he's on G.INP.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27855663&postcount=1774 and http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27871896&postcount=1814 might help, his posts and statistics.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »

Thanks for that Ixel.   Because he is on such a short line then there isnt much in the way of proof which way or other he is affected by this.
If he's been put on the weird new profile his stats are so good that it may not show in his sync.  Whats his latency like can you ask?   I think I'd be more convinced if I knew that.

PS
I noticed him querying his upstream attenuation.  At a guess it looks like the router may be displaying attention just from U0, rather than aggregated across all 3 upstream bands.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 03:33:07 PM »

I see here there seem to be 2 SoCs, 1 for Fritzbox and 1 for HH5 A.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:35:46 PM by Dray »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »

I see here there seem to be 2 SoCs, 1 for Fritzbox and 1 for HH5 A.

Very interesting - thank you for that.  The TPlink TD-W9980 is definitely a VRX268, which lumps it in the same category as quote

TP-Link TD-W8970
Netgear VEVG2500
BT Home Hub 5 Type A
BT OpenReach VG3503J    <---- These are the ECI/r modems

If someone has a login to the site, would they like to add the TD-W9980 in the relevant section.

Re the Fritzbox: The 7490 isn't specifically mentioned, but you are correct in that all the other Fritzboxes use the different SoC.   I wonder how the Draytek Vigors are coping as they use the same SoC as the Fritzboxes.  Both of these 2 makes of routers are far more expensive than the others.

this post was a good idea, as I suspect many only check the forums and not your main site.
Thank you, but in reality the main site gets faaarrrr more traffic than the forum.   

Normally I would put such info on the main site, but the benefit of the forum is that people can add things & ask questions....  and its easier for me to reply or update info as it changes.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »

is it a case of a firmware upgrade to enable g.inp on the incompatible modems listed as the firmware can only control the hardware and if the hardware lacks the capability then no firmware would be able get g.inp running

I dont know NS.  Which is why I today emailed one of the software devs @ TP-Link asking if it is possible to do this as a f/w update.

At the time I wasn't aware of the SoC info that Dray had found which may account for why its possible on the Fritzboxes.   I shall have to see what TP-Link come up with.   If they arent able to do anything, then the TD-W9980 is a bit of a dead duck (& the others) :(

Quote from: kitz
I emailed one of the software developers @ TP-Link today and ask if there's any chance that g.inp could be upgraded purely as software update.
-----

Al1264

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »

Modem Routers known to work with G.INP

BT HomeHub 5 Type B  (BCM chipset & Software version V0.07.01.0235-BT)
Sky Hub SR102
Billion 8800NL
Billion 8800AXL
Zyxel VMG8324
Fritzbox vdsl routers* - 7490 is ok.

[snip]

*Unconfirmed if all models
I can happily confirm that the Fritz!Box 7390 plays very well with G.INP on a Huawei cabinet, sync is up a bit, interleaving latency is gone (so pings are some 15ms better than pre-G.INP).  I have has 1 (ONE) upstream ES since G.INP went on my line a couple of weeks ago (without G.INP i'd expect quite a few)
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »

I can happily confirm that the Fritz!Box 7390 plays very well with G.INP on a Huawei cabinet, sync is up a bit, interleaving latency is gone (so pings are some 15ms better than pre-G.INP).  I have has 1 (ONE) upstream ES since G.INP went on my line a couple of weeks ago (without G.INP i'd expect quite a few)

Thank you   
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 07:16:32 PM »

Basically, I was wondering if the claim to support vectoring was using some sort of marketing fudge where they say they can do it but not really.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything