Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: HG612 modem - prices on ebay  (Read 29425 times)

chris32

• Just arrived
Re: HG612 modem - prices on ebay
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »

I got mine including PSU 1st April this year (2015) from 'the bay' for £9.50 (+£3.90 delivery) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151629998567

Will probably hang onto my old ECI for the time being....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 07:53:36 PM »

Sheeesh who is Fibre-cat?

They are now asking £80 for unlocked HG612's.    :thumbdown:
That is bleeding ridiculous - link.

Whoever it is obviously reads this forum because there's an image of the ReTX profiles I posted here.  Note they are using the terms MKI & MKII which afaik is only used on this forum. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 08:13:17 PM »

putting mine up for 50 tommorow kitz :)

thanks in advance to openreach for my profit.

mjgr33n

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »

I think its bad chrys.   

Members of this community have:

- Hacked the HG612 (Asbo)
- Wrote new f/w so it will work with G.INP (Wolfy)
- Provided the graphing tools (Eric/BE/Ronski/B*cat)
- Provided information about G.INP (Our community)
- Told people to buy a HG612

all of the above was done for free for the benefit of the broadband community.  Not one person who has done all the hard work has gained a single penny. 

Then someone comes along and rips them off.   Yes I do consider charging that amount of money ripping off someone, because that is pure greed especially when someone else has spent hours and hours doing it for free. 
Let me state here and now I am not pleased with whoever it is taking advantage from advice given from members of this community.  I have no objection to someone making a few quid for putting the f/w on but I do not agree with them charging such inflated prices because of the advice we give out.  I do not want anyone who hasn't the capability of understanding what is going on, or be too nervous to install the new f/w themselves to be taken advantage of.

If I see anyone in future recommending a HG612 on this forum, I'd expect them to add a caveat about ebay inflated prices/avoid such sellers charging stupid prices/recommend an all-in-one please. 

----
ETA

In fact on reflection if they really are nervous about installing Wolfys f/w themselves, then we may be best recommending a Billion/Zyzel/etc because then at least it should have some future proofing when it comes to f/w.  Aside from the fact it would be far VFM as at least a new unit will have a guarantee unlike a modem which has fallen off the back of a BT/contractors van.

If it wasnt for HowlingWolf then a shed load of HG612 users would now be up the creek without a paddle.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 10:08:13 PM »

Yeah I know, I wouldnt recommend anyone on here to buy one at current prices and remember I did say to someone buy an 8800nl instead as the hg612's are currently a ripoff.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »

Yep - I cannot understand why someone would consider paying that price when you can get a brand new 8800nl for circa £62 or VMG8324 from eclipse for £54.17 (£65 inc VAT).

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 10:31:14 PM »

now you made me feel guilty :(

I seen it before as a way to just sell with supply and demand so it helps pay for my new router, but now I feel like I shouldnt sell it :p

Will see how I feel tomorrow, although I definitely wouldnt put a price tag of £80 on it, thats way too high.

I wonder how many of these been sold are people like me selling one spare device, or if its engineers selling their van stock.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »

Sheeesh who is Fibre-cat?

They are now asking £80 for unlocked HG612's.    :thumbdown:
That is bleeding ridiculous - link.

Whoever it is obviously reads this forum because there's an image of the ReTX profiles I posted here.  Note they are using the terms MKI & MKII which afaik is only used on this forum. 

And he's using a DSLstats snapshot to illustrate its compatibility with monitoring software...
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »

I dunno see what the other say..  but if youve installed the f/w and are selling it as unlocked, then I dont think somewhere around £40/£45 isnt too unreasonable bearing in mind that unlocked are now going at up to £20.  There will always be a market that some people are too afraid to install the f/w themselves in case they brick it.

£80 is taking the pee though... and thats what pushed my "youve gone too far button".

if its engineers selling their van stock.

Without doubt there will be some accounting procedure in place, so there wont be an unlimited availability when it comes to van stock.
But Ive no doubt there will be a few cases whereby the ISP will have been charged for the modem but one not given out to the EU.   I'm thinking for example the likes of Eric's installation.   

The contractor who did my original installation was also a bit of a 'hoarder' too - I had to stop him walking off with my clarity NTE5, and it later emerged that the NTE that he had installed was one of the known (older) faulty batch... although whether or not that was deliberate Ive no idea and not provable.. but it gives some scope for a certain amount of umm recycling.

-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »

I have no objection to someone making a few quid for putting the f/w on but I do not agree with them charging such inflated prices because of the advice we give out.
I guess it's a tricky one.
There will be people out there who would like to take advantage of this freely-given work but do not have the technical ability/time/motivation/whatever to take what is available online and do it themselves.
So, as the work is freely available online it's just a market for those prepared to do it for others.

One way to give some sort of protection are the various models of public licence that require acknowledgement etc. and/or no commercial use. But that's possibly a bit OTT for those involved in doing the original work.

A bit of honesty by sellers might help, but why would they give away all the details of their sources in an eBay listing and potentially sabotage the effort they have made to understand and know how to apply the work of others.

"Standing on the shoulders of giants" I guess, or is it just plagiarism? Probably not, it's somewhere between.  :cool:

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 11:19:53 PM »

What we're solving here are problems caused by BT to their users. BT are the ones who locked the modems. BT are the ones who gave out modems irrespective of the cabinet. BT are the ones who messed up the G.INP rollout.

BT could fix all these things.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »

And he's using a DSLstats snapshot to illustrate its compatibility with monitoring software...

I noticed that eric, which is one of the reasons why I mentioned the fact no credit to the time that the likes of you and BE etc had put in.    :(

Ive also just noticed that he has a second hand (used & scratched & noticeable cosmetic marks) VMG8924 listed at £90.   Just look at the description, screen shots and examples for the config and bridging mode...  wonder where that info came from  ::)  Oh well :D
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 12:22:09 AM »

Quite some time ago Asbokid mentioned to me that some low-life entity on eBay was selling printed copies of his "unlocking guide" . . . That's right, the PDF format file which is free to download and documented in his HG612 "Wordpress" blog.  >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 12:40:06 AM »

This is what confuses me the HG612 was installed by Openreach at my premises so even after my contract has ended the unit is still the property of Openreach like your Master Socket it's not yours the ISP Router is after the contract has ended.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6