Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unlocked HG612 becomes unresponive after a few hours  (Read 4022 times)

mcfluffy

Unlocked HG612 becomes unresponive after a few hours
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »

Hello. Simplistic query regarding the HG612. I've got a 3B hardware version modem which I resorted to flashing the B030SP08 unlocked (with web gui) firmware provided by HowlingWolf. I was able to flash the firmware easily enough, and aside from turning of QoS off, turning SNTP on (which doesn't seem to work) and altering the IP address of modem so it can be accessed from my WiFi, I haven't altered any of the other settings (maybe this is the problem?).

I've been having disconnect problems recently on my BT Infinity connection, prior to this problem it worked fine and the modem was locked and untouched. I've tried everything else so I figured I'd give flashing an unlocked firmware a go as a last resort before I start moaning at BT to fix my line. Now, I don't know if this lockup occurs because the line disconnects and it's causing the modem to blow a fuse for whatever reason, or if it would lock up regardless of the line problem. Either way it seems to work fine for a few hours then stops responding. The DSL light goes off and doesn't ever blink and I can't seem to use the reset button either, I have to turn the power off/on to get it to start working again.

I haven't tried to telnet into it when it apparently goes into this unresponsive state because I'm not that savvy tbh though I don't suppose it'd make much difference if the reset button doesn't even work (I'm assuming it's just completely crashing).

Any ideas? I will say this is the third time I've flashed it. After I did it the first time I had this problem, I thought maybe I'd bricked it or perhaps just screwed up the flashing process, so I tried flashing the locked SP08 firmware onto the modem just to see if it would go back to normal. It did, sort of, but it does still very occasionally lock up though - in as much as the DSL light goes out and won't ever reconnect and the reset button stops working so I have to power it off/on to get it to work again. It did this this evening so I tried flashing the web gui firmware yet again, and yet again, it worked fine for a few hours and then locked up on me.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Unlocked HG612 becomes unresponive after a few hours
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 07:20:51 AM »

Most people use the HG612 in its unchanged factory default configuration, and use the router for any custom features they need. I've no idea whether the configuration changes you made have any relevance to your problem, but it might be worth trying the default configuration for a while.

Eric

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »

Haven't had this issue and it sounds pretty weird.

Is it trying to update itself and failing, perhaps?
May be worth reflashing and deleting the ptm.301 interface if you didn't already.

DSLstats or similar should tell you if the line is spazzing out and telneting to it and running 'top' may reveal something too.

I'm a big fan of dedicated modem + router.
xDSL is fickle; let's not give it any more reasons to degrade :)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »

Hi

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but this appears to be very close to the issue seen when using one of the faulty power supplies from a year or two ago.

As I said, I could wrong

Many thanks

John

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:51:01 PM »

Ahh yes I had this problem.

I had it with my first HG612 and I never got to the bottom of it - I believe this was a 2B model. My newer 3B model did not have this problem. As John says, this may be down to the newer power adaptor included with the 3B model?

mcfluffy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »

I don't know what's wrong with it. I've now reset the modem to factory default settings just in case when I flashed it, it kept the old settings from the old firmware. Early days yet as I only did it this morning so time will tell if it still locks up. Though I did as suggested and deleted the ptm.301 interface. I left SNTP and QoS alone this time since I noticed QoS has it's bandwidth by default set to zero anyway so I'm guess that's the essentially the same as having it switched off. Only thing I've done to the settings now aside from kill ptm.301 is change the IP address so it works on the same network as my router (though I've got it's IP set outside of my routers DHCP range of course to avoid clashes). At any rate I tried playing Destiny on my PS4 after doing this and the line is still dropping like a dead fly so clearly my issues with regard to that problem lie with BT (God help me) and whatever fault has developed over the last few weeks. I'm going to get on those DSL stats and see what they show.

Regarding the potential for a faulty power supply; I don't know if this is an indicator of that but prior to me flashing the firmware one day the connection dropped and although it supposed;y reconnected (DSL light was solid green) I still had no Internet connection. This occurs every now and then. Anyway I turned the modem off at the wall switch then back on again as a quick fix (since power cycling it does fix this "it's connected but it isn't" issue), except turning it back on didn't turn the modem back on. None of the lights came on. Was gawping at it thinking I'd just bricked it or something when I lightly touched the power plug for the modem and it sprang bag to life.

I assumed the plug had just come out the socket just enough for the power to be interrupted though, it didn't appear to be out of the socket at all so. Hasn't done anything like that since, well not yet anyway.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »

Yeh mine is the 3b so had the revised PSU I think?
I dunno why they were revised though, for this kinda issue?

Rockall789

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »

Hi guys sorry, does any1 have a link to the B030SP08 download? I can't find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
  Eric

mcfluffy

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »

It hasn't locked up since my last post, until 3am last night (I only know that because I had dsl stats running and it started to chuck out can't login to modem.router errors after 3am).

I suppose it could just have become faulty, either because of me flashing it, or perhaps just by itself. Could the line dropping cause it to crash though? Suppose I wouldn't know that for sure until I get it fixed. I had hoped I'd be able to fathom these graphs from DSL stats with regards to why the dropping might be occurring so I could go in to BT customer support armed so to speak but... I can't make heads nor tails of these graphs.  :doh:

As for the line dropping though, is it possible this could have resulted after G.INP was activated (DSL stats report it as being enabled)? If they enabled G.INP in March around here then that would be a big coincidence considering that's when my line started to drop.

anything