Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 451025 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »

Good post, Kitz.

I missed it the first few times around ... I seem to have a blindness for things in the sticky section - maybe the blue "New" icon just doesn't stand out against the bold blue text of the title and the darker blue background!

Its an interesting notion that the ECI modems will have gone through one firmware upgrade to go from <totally incompatible> to <quite incompatible>, but it certainly seems to be true that a lot are waiting for something more. I had originally thought that it was a problem with the agent failing to update some modems, but this idea probably fits the evidence better.

Have we seen anyone with an ECI modem that appears to have had G.INP activated with no ill effects? Any hint, anywhere? With ECI's being considerably harder to unlock, I imagine we will have a hard time confirming it ... other than the kind of efforts going on via TP-Link.

I believe someone suggested that US rate of 20000 was synonoomommous with g.inp?

Ive always sync'd at 20,000 upstream.  Ive never paid much attention to the 79999, 79998 or 79987 etc as I thought it was perhaps just a quirk of the modem/dslam.

These are some of mine

79999 20000  HG612
79987 20000  Zyxel
80000 20000  TP-Link

I thought exactly the same. I bet it was w3 that pointed it out too :)

Not me.

I've always thought that the sync ending up a few Kbps short was a quirk - perhaps of the specs, perhaps of the chipsets. My best guess surrounds the algorithm that decides on bit-loading - that it just stops when the next addition would take you over the limit, leaving you on or just under. It might be even worse if following some water-filling technique.

Having seen this quirk happen often enough, I wouldn't bother looking for non-quirks in G.INP. Until recently, there have been too few reports to draw real conclusions.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 06:15:25 PM »

I've heard back from TP-Link

The Lantiq chipset supports G.INP but it seems like there is a compatibility issue.  This is now in the hands of TP-Link R&D (which iirc is in China) who are jointly working on this with Lantiq.

My contact is quite high up when it comes to UK technical development but as this is now in the hands of R&D, he wasn't able to give any first hand answers to my questions. However, he said he will try and get me an update and he will keep me informed of any developments.

So at least TP-link are on to it.  Presumably if Lantiq are also involved then there may be hope for the ECI/HH5A too, but that is an assumption on my part so dont take it as gospel as that will entirely depend on BT. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »

Its an interesting notion that the ECI modems will have gone through one firmware upgrade to go from <totally incompatible> to <quite incompatible>, but it certainly seems to be true that a lot are waiting for something more. I had originally thought that it was a problem with the agent failing to update some modems, but this idea probably fits the evidence better.

If it hadn't received an update then it wouldn't sync at all.   
There are 2 separate issues and people are getting the two mixed up.  As regards to the higher latency/reduction in speed - If an engineer is called out and you can manage him to do a DLM reset, it will be ok for a day or so whilst there is no DLM, but as soon as the DLM open profile period has expired you will be back in exactly the same situation.   
The main reason I started this separate thread and try clarify it, is people were misquoting / misunderstanding information in the old thread. :(

Have we seen anyone with an ECI modem that appears to have had G.INP activated with no ill effects? Any hint, anywhere? With ECI's being considerably harder to unlock

No not a single one, nor a HH5A nor TD W9980 so far has come to light. At the moment it does seem to be isolated to all modems using the same SoC on the Lantiq VRX-268. *

I imagine we will have a hard time confirming it ... other than the kind of efforts going on via TP-Link.

The lack of stats available on all 3 of those modem/routers are making it rather difficult..  and there will be an awful lot of ECI modem users who probably wont even notice anyway.

I don't know how the guys with unlocked ECI's are doing, because at least they can access some stats so it would be good if any of them can report their findings please.

---
ETA.. Oh forgot to add... and the HG612s with old f/w
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:04:46 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 01:50:21 PM »

Just seen a post on the Plusnet forums about the TP-Link W9980: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138451.0.html

Summary: the poster has been working with TP-Link's tech support and testing new firmware. He now has a version that works with G.INP with no loss of latency.

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

So if I've had an FTTC cabinet installed in the last two weeks or so, does that mean I'll have G.INP as soon as I go live?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »

Is the cabinet a Huawei or an ECI? If it's Huawei it will have G.INP enabled. ECI - not known.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Tazz

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »

I have a HH5 and saw that i could no longer get max sync... found this thread  :fingers: they roll out an update soon. I am running an unlocked Huawei at the moment with the latest SP08 which is back to full sync :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »

I have a HH5 and saw that i could no longer get max sync... found this thread  :fingers: they roll out an update soon. I am running an unlocked Huawei at the moment with the latest SP08 which is back to full sync :)

b*cat nods. There seems to have been nothing but problems with the Beattie HH5, right from the day when it was first released. No sooner is one problem resolved than another appears.  :-X

From what I have read, when the HH5 is used just as a router (ignoring its inbuilt VDSL2 modem) with, say, an HG612 to provide the VDSL2 - Ethernet bridge then the performance is quite acceptable.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

JHewess

• Just arrived
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »

Hi all,
Just popped over here to advise an update re my W9980 now working with g.inp, but I see jelv has beat me to it.
I'll re-post the link though, just to save me having to re-type my post: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138451.0.html

I'm still in contact with TP-Link, so as soon as I know anything more concrete re a proper release date of the beta firmware I'll shout.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »

I see a certain AndyH just had to make a posting to your thread . . .  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »

Just seen a post on the Plusnet forums about the TP-Link W9980: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138451.0.html

Summary: the poster has been working with TP-Link's tech support and testing new firmware. He now has a version that works with G.INP with no loss of latency.

Thanks jelv,  w23 and welcome JHewess.  :)

Looking good.  :thumbs:  I'm due a reply back from tp-link early next week too.  This is looking quite hopeful. 

If TP-link working with Lantiq have found the cause of the "incompatibility" then it should also perhaps be possible to roll out a similar firmware upgrade for the ECI's and HH's.  That would depend on BT though.
-----

Tyke

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »

So just to be clear, are ALL Huawei DSLAMs getting the upgrade or not, I am a bit confused. I am on Huawei, and definitely do not have it at the moment.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 09:32:54 AM »

So just to be clear, are ALL Huawei DSLAMs getting the upgrade or not, I am a bit confused. I am on Huawei, and definitely do not have it at the moment.

It seems there are 2 Huawei DSLAM firmware & chipset versions in use now.
However, both versions do seem able to deliver G.INP.

Which are you connected to?

Telnet command xdslcmd info --vendor or adsl info --vendor should confirm.

Not having G.INP COULD be due to the firmware and/or software versions of the modem you are currently using.
I know you have tried a few different modems quite recently.
Which are you currently using & what are its firmware & software versions?

Tyke

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »

It seems there are 2 Huawei DSLAM firmware & chipset versions in use now.
However, both versions do seem able to deliver G.INP.

Which are you connected to?

Telnet command xdslcmd info --vendor or adsl info --vendor should confirm.

Not having G.INP COULD be due to the firmware and/or software versions of the modem you are currently using.
I know you have tried a few different modems quite recently.
Which are you currently using & what are its firmware & software versions?
I am currently on a Zyxel 8924 with V8 Beta 2 firmware.
Telnet info is:
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 19396 Kbps, Downstream rate = 78668 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19396 Kbps, Downstream rate = 63729 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id:      BDCM:0xa451
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xa451

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »

From your stats, it now looks like there are 3 Huawei DSLAM versions in use:-

Mine:-
ChipSet Vendor Id:     BDCM:0xa44f
ChipSet VersionNumber: 0xa44f

Yours:-
ChipSet Vendor Id:      BDCM:0xa451
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xa451

One I saw yesterday:-
ChipSet Vendor Id:      BDCM:0xa485
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xa485

Only yours isn't using G.INP.

Is anyone else using a ZyXel 8924 with the same V8 Beta 2 firmware as Tyke that is actually using G.INP?

EDIT:

Typo corrected for the 3rd DSLAM details
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:41:05 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62

anything