Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I've had all I can stand and I can't stand no more!!  (Read 4037 times)

Thunderchild

• Just arrived
I've had all I can stand and I can't stand no more!!
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »

Right, I'm going to smash my DG834G into pieces and send it back I can't stand it anymore. Keeps losing port forwarding and on reset it connects but only displays parts of pages (never had that before!?). And on some pages, it opens them, you click a link and get a happy DONE message on bottom but nothing on screen (?!?!)

So, who can recommend to me a very good router with great port forwarding please? :)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: I've had all I can stand and I can't stand no more!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »

Tbh I found the Netgear DG834 to be one of the best routers for port forwarding, finding it quick quick and easy to set up.
I have never had problems with it loosing settings on being reset for whatever reason. Perhaps yours has a fault of some kind. A good place to start would be to try a firmware update.

Given that they are overall very good products, it might be worth investigating why it is misbehaving before smashing it and replacing it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »

I find my Netgear WGR614 to be most reliable, since setting it up the first time I have never had to alter or re-set it at all.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »

I have a Netgear DG834GT and have had no problems at all with it.  My previous wired router was a Netgear DG632 and I had no problem with that either.  I can only assume that the one you have is a faulty one and it would be worth going back to the supplier to get it changed.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »

Put your hand on the router, does it feel hot, ie if it was a cup of coffiee would it be drinkable. If so then your router is overheating, try moving it or sitting it end on.

I've noticed netgears tend to run cooler than other routers, a bit more heat near where the power lead come in is normal. Voyager tend to run a bit warm but again shouldn't be Hot. Heat will make any router behave odd.

Netgears in general seem to be very reliable. I see them every where and hardly come across a faulty one. The only other thing, was the router supplied by your isp, or jave an isp's logo printed on it. There was a faulty batch sent out about july last year but these seemed to all have sync issues not what you've discribed

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »

Does sound like either a firmware or heat issue :/
Netgears are normally pretty reliable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »

As said already, if your Netgear is misbehaving, then send it back and get a replacement, because that's not the norm for those routers. They do come with stands so you can stand them up on their end, which suggests that Netgear suspect they may require the additional ventilation sometimes.

Having said that, I've never come across one that's needed to be stood on its end to resolve a stability issue.

I myself have a DG834Gv2, and it's by far the most reliable router I've ever owned. The only reason I don't use it anymore is Be sent me a Speedtouch 585 that syncs ~2Mb quicker than the Netgear does on the same line (probably due to the fact that I'm on ADSL2+), and I've not even used the DMT tool to get a lower SNR margin on the Speedtouch! Anyway, I digress...

The point is, I've had to stand my Speedtouch up (I've actually got it propped up on its wireless aerial :lol: ) as it would occasionally simply stop .. routing! Since I stood it up to get some air underneath it (where the only air vents are - clever design that was!), then touchwood, it hasn't crashed sinc.... *ERROR: LOSS OF SYNC* ;)

I thought I'd attach a pic for your amusement!

Good luck with the Netgear, let us know how you get on :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »

Since reading this thread I decided to have a look at my own router which is tucked away behind a monitor "sitting on a cardboard box"

In hindsight that was probably not the wisest of things to do as not only was it quite warm, but the box also was quite warm, acting like an insulator I suppose.

So in the meantime of coming up with a patented device (saucepan/kitchen trivet) with an old PSU fan attached underneath, or just sit it on a PSU outlet with the fan running, I have sat it on an old HDD, my what a difference it's made, now it's barely warm at all and no need for the fan idea.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

Yeah, amazing how heat can accumulate, but how easily it will disperse given a little bit of chance!
Chris