Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New Router syncs alot slower????  (Read 14291 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: New Router syncs alot slower????
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »

I think you're giving the DLM far too much credit there, Ezzer :P
Chris

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »

EZZER is 99% correct and an insignificany 1% wrong.

The DLM is not humanoid but works only to set parameters, its "go" or "No go" . How can it think?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »

I was actually being flippant when making that remark.

Nobody has ever suggested that the DLM system can "think" at all. What I am suggesting, and I will hold to that, is that it does not appear to always work in the same way, which causes frustration for those involved.

I think you're over-simplifying it by saying it's "go" or "no go". The changes it makes to lines certainly don't seem to follow any straightforward rules - and there are instances of people stuck on 15dB with very solid lines after a temporary freak condition caused a few disconnects. Conversely there are people stuck on the default of 6dB with problems, who would love for the SNR to be raised automatically.

If it was (a) made public exactly how it did work (or how it is indended to work), and (b) it always worked in a predictable and sensible way, then perhaps end users who fall foul of its logic decisions would be more forgiving of it.

EZZER is 99% correct and an insignificany 1% wrong.

Please do elaborate? I'd be interested (as I'm sure Ezzer himself would!) in what he is wrong about?
Chris

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2008, 07:45:30 PM »

Im sure that any resonable request to BT and its suppliers would or should result in the formal explanation in the "Plain English language" they should be proud to extol its virtues to all your site members.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2008, 11:55:38 PM »

Hmm, to be honest I never really thought of asking BT for an explanation - I suppose I expected that if they were willing to make it public that it would be on the BT wholesale or Openreach sites somewhere.

I did find a STIN document (suppliers trial information note) that stated somewhere that when Wholesale Broadband Connect is brought out of trial and fully launched as a product, that improvements to DLM will, amongst other things, "improve response times" - which hopefully means it will improve the time taken for it to react to changes! Apart from that, I couldn't really find any other official information.

Do you have any more info about it's workings at all? Because I'd love to understand why exactly it does what it does in different situations!

Chris
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything