Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Could a change of gear do better?  (Read 5622 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Could a change of gear do better?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »

Just a note on 5Ghz.   I have a TP-Link TD-W9980 which is dual band.   TBH Im not all that enamoured with 5Ghz personally.   Its only when I was in the same room and stood practically right next to the router did I see any real benefit.  When sat in the lounge I saw absolutely no difference.. and in fact when in the kitchen or further afield then the signal and range was actually poorer than my VMG8324 which is only 2.4Ghz.

Theres some test stats in a spreadsheet knocking around somewhere that I did which shows comparisons at varying distances and through various no of walls etc.  Range for 5GHz is never going to be as good as 2.4GHz.. for a similar reason as why long telephone lines cant utilise the higher dsl frequencies.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Aardvark 62

• Just arrived
Re: Could a change of gear do better?
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 11:21:30 AM »

Hi and good morning.

Just wanted to pop back and express my thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their knowledge, thoughts, help and suggestions in order to help me understand my FTTC package, equipment and Wi-Fi channels.

I am now happy to keep the equipment I have, knowing that it is perfectly adequate for the package I am on. I am also happy to stay on said package for the foreseeable future. I am keeping track of the 2.4Ghz (which I am now quite happy with) channels in use around me (around 8 users for each of channels 1,6 and 11) and the strength of those users (most being 2 out of 5 bars but with the occasional one being quite strong) and will make a choice of the best channel for me in a few days time when I know for certain that I have included everyone.

So, once again, many thanks to loonylion, burakkucat, Ronski, WWWombat, ejs and kitz for your help, it has been appreciated and I have learned a lot.

Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:52:59 AM by Aardvark 62 »
Pages: 1 [2]