Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Boot up fault?  (Read 12237 times)

Shaft

Boot up fault?
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:20 AM »

Needing to update my pc so I could play a new game I bought a new CPU. having inserted it my pc will not start at all, I hear the fan start, which I assume is the power fan then it stops, then it starts, then it stops.   This goes on for a few minutes but it won't boot up.   What have I done?   I took all the normal precautions.   Incidentley is the BIOS on the mthbd or the HD?
I had a Dual Core Intel and I fitted a Quad core.   Wins 7 Ultimate Sp 1

Shaft

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Boot up fault?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »

The BIOS in on the motherboard. Did you check beforehand that your motherboard and bios supported the new CPU?

Does you PC have a display on the m/b, if so what does it say - they usually have a 2 digit code which can be looked up online on the manufacturers site. Alternatively does the internal speaker beep? If it does count the beeps and again refer to manufacturers documents to find out what that number of beeps means. It could be that you have not seated the new CPU correctly.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »

This is nothing to do with Windows although it may get upset later when it does boot though, I would also suggest what Broadstairs has stated.

You may find that the motherboard will support the new CPU, but only with a more recent BIOS. Perhaps post the motherboard make and model, along with the new CPU model.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »

This is nothing to do with Windows although it may get upset later when it does boot though

Win7 doesn't need reactivation when you change the cpu - I changed the cpu (Core2Duo->Core2Quad) in eldest daughters machine years back & it didn't whinge. I can't remember how the point-scoring works with WGA but it does allow for some upgrading/repairs.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »

This is nothing to do with Windows although it may get upset later when it does boot though

Win7 doesn't need reactivation when you change the cpu - I changed the cpu (Core2Duo->Core2Quad) in eldest daughters machine years back & it didn't whinge. I can't remember how the point-scoring works with WGA but it does allow for some upgrading/repairs.

I've had a friend who's Windows frequently deactivated itself due to graphics driver updates, so it's not foolproof.

Assuming all the hardware is compatible, Windows shouldn't functionally care about going from dual to quad. Single to dual or quad would be a different matter, as it would need a different HAL.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »

Nope its the same HAL since Vista. Anyway we digress :)

Shaft

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »

Don't know what I did to mess it up but it still won't boot.   I even put another mthbd in but still no joy.   Tried to get it to read the OS disc but it won't, tried a boot repair disc , no joy.
Thanks for all the help/support, going to try and wipe the C drive and start afresh, managed to save my Password program to another PC, so the rest I can live with.

Shaft (aka Rob)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:08:15 PM »

Don't know what I did to mess it up but it still won't boot.   I even put another mthbd in but still no joy.   Tried to get it to read the OS disc but it won't, tried a boot repair disc , no joy.
Thanks for all the help/support, going to try and wipe the C drive and start afresh, managed to save my Password program to another PC, so the rest I can live with.

Shaft (aka Rob)

Can you get into the BIOS? Where does it fail in the boot process?

It shouldn't but sometimes even adding another hard drive makes it want to reactivate. When I changed my media PC from a dual to a quad it refused to play W7/Vista MCE recordings, something to do with DRM.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »

May be we need a bit more info. Technically the boot process is the bit where the BIOS starts the PC and does the initial load of the boot loader for Windows which should then display the splash screen, so how far exactly does the boot process get? Can you get into the BIOS screen OK (usually F2 or DEL keys when you initially turn it on). If you see the initial Windows screen try hitting F8 to see if it will continue in safe mode?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »

The 1st thing I would suggest is lookup the current BIOS version for you Motherboard and check if it supports your new CPU.
Often over time the BIOS gets updated to support newer CPU's.
If this is the case, you need to update the BIOS to at least the 1st version that supports your CPU.
(Usually I find the latest version and check the release notes for any changes and updates from the original BIOS)
The description of the repeat re-spinning of the fans sounds familiar and could be either a mismatch between the BIOS/CPU or possibly the BIOS settings are accidentally overclocking the new CPU and it is not stable enough to complete the boot process.

Overall you need to identify the correct BIOS version and check the setting in the Setup screen(s) for the BIOS.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »

We need the CPU model number and the mobo model number.

The bois is held in a special chip on the mobo. Things you can check,

• have you reconnected all the power connectors to your mobo. That includes the additional +12v2 connector. If this isn't connected you get your siymptoms
  • did you apply an even coat of thermal paste to the top of you CPU before reapplying the heatsink? If not the CPU can quickly over temperature and fail to boot
  • check the memory. During the boot process the bios looks to see if it can see it. IF there is a problem at this point it will fail to boot
  • if the boot process see the memory it next looks for video memory so if your video card isn't on board and it isn't seen it will fail to boot
  • people always, well nearly always, forget to check that the psu in the computer can coupe with any upgrade. Check the PSU can supply enough wattage
  • you could try resetting the bios to see if that helps. Instruction to do this will be in the mobo manual
  • did yo try the old CPU? do you get the same if you did?

Some mobo's have a bios post test reader built in which displays an alphanumeric code or will post beep codes to the speaker. Armed with this infomation and looking up their meaning can help isolate the problem so this information would also be helpful.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Shaft

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »

Hi guys,
Been busy trying various things.
Found that the socket for the CPU was damaged, some pins destroyed!!   Threw mtbd into bin.

Removed HDs connected C drive via gadget (connects via usb) and the OS wasn't on it?.
Have formatted HD and now waiting for new mtbd. 
Got 3 PCs two with Wins 7 one with XP.
Once again thanks for all your answers.
Shaft