Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI and Untangle - options  (Read 1069 times)

Bestgear

ECI and Untangle - options
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:47:44 PM »

Guys

Looking for advice please.... had BTI for 20 months or so, and been through playing with Huawei and ECI modems - ECI always gives better performance for me (and that is what is in my cabinet).

For the last 6 months I have been using a 887VA - which works well, but does not connect at the speed of an old ECI!

I want to move over to Untangle - and trying it with an ECI, I can connect to the web on the untangle box but I cant route from a LAN PC.

I know you will say - its Untangle..... and I agree... but I am convinced there is a bug in Untangle with respect to PPPoE. You need to setup the ethernet first, and then another "virtual" interface on top with the 101 vlan. I have been through weeks of wasted evenings trying various things to no avail. All the Untangle network tests pass.

SO - now to the point of the post!

I remember way back when the modems were first being modified that there was a way to use one of the models as a router, ie not leave PPPoE to the next device.

Has anyone used this?

I would expect that the modem may not be up (in terms of horsepower) to act as router - but given there will be no firewall/nat on the box, hope it could work.

If not... plan B - anyone recommend a simple router/modem that I could use? Only criteria (other than performance!) is that it must establish the PPPoE.

Thanks in advance Guys

David