Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Modem to pair with Netgear R7500  (Read 2540 times)

Pads

• Just arrived
Modem to pair with Netgear R7500
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm getting a Netgear R7500 delivered on Monday (wanting to test out Streamboost QoS) and I was wondering what would be a good modem to pair with it? I'm currently on BT Broadband (just the standard ADSL2+, I moved mid contract to an area that doesn't have Infinity). Currently get speeds around 5-6meg, I've been looking at the Draytek 120 but heard that Broadcom based modems are generally considered better?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:36:44 PM by Pads »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Modem to pair with Netgear R7500
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »

Hi and welcome.

The Netgear R7500 is a router, so what you need is a modem to pair with it. Broadcom based modems have the big advantage that they provide comprehensive connection stats via telnet, and there are monitoring programs to make use of this.

The Huawei HG612 is an excellent choice. You can get it for not a lot of money from eBay, and there is plenty of information available on configuring it. There are several good modem/routers which can be configured as modems.
  Eric

Pads

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:52:56 PM »

Hi and welcome.

The Netgear R7500 is a router, so what you need is a modem to pair with it. Broadcom based modems have the big advantage that they provide comprehensive connection stats via telnet, and there are monitoring programs to make use of this.

The Huawei HG612 is an excellent choice. You can get it for not a lot of money from eBay, and there is plenty of information available on configuring it. There are several good modem/routers which can be configured as modems.

Thanks Roseway, just a couple of questions.

• Is the 3B revision capable of being unlocked, or do I need to find a particular revision?
  • It seems unlocking the device turns it into a full router, is there a guide on how to get it into a modem-only mode? I've had a look but not come up with anything so far.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:43:06 PM by Pads »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »

unlocking does not turn it into a full router, it simply enables it to be configured as a full router if you so wish. By default it remains in bridge (=modem only) mode.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »

The 3B version of the device is the one recommended.

The current unlocked firmware can be found by following the details in the first post of Howlingwolf's thread. The version you will require is bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_Webgui
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Pads

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:14:53 PM »

Thanks burakkucat, I'll have a trawl through eBay and see what I can find!

loonylion - Thanks for that, I've found people online that are having difficulties getting the device into bridge mode on ADSL rather than VDSL - is this an old issue that is now no longer relevant?

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:07:44 PM »

Another option could be to consider a combined Modem Router  ZyXEL or Billion and run them in Bridged Mode?
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

Both use a newer broadcom chip than the HG612 and are well thought of on Kitz.

Pads

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »

Another option could be to consider a combined Modem Router  ZyXEL or Billion and run them in Bridged Mode?
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

Both use a newer broadcom chip than the HG612 and are well thought of on Kitz.

Thanks Beta, I decided to go with the ZyXel in the end, managed to grab one on eBay for £40. Looks easy to configure based on the link you provided. Is it better to have the firewall enabled on the ZyXel or the Netgear? Also, do I need to disable NAT on the ZyXel and just leave it enabled on the Netgear?

Sorry for all the questions, this is mostly new to me!