Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unlocked HG612 VOIP Issue  (Read 6518 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Unlocked HG612 VOIP Issue
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:34:16 AM »

I’m new to the forum, so hello to everyone.

I am looking for assistance with my Huawei HG612 modem. I recently acquired an unlocked HG612 (A2pv6C038m.d24j) and initially set it up in bridged mode using my BT Hub as the router. In this configuration everything on my home network was working ok. However, I did't particularly want to keep using the BT Hub so decided to switch the HG612 to router mode. However in this mode I am having an issue with my VOIP devices as neither will register with my provider in this mode of operation. I have tried port forwarding, but the problem persists. All other devices are working ok as before.

Are there any additional settings I need to enable to allow VOIP to work in router mode or is this a non starter?

Thanks … Andy.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Unlocked HG612 VOIP Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

Hi

I would think you need to remove your port forward rule for VoIP and open the port for VoIP in firewall.

Then repower your VoIP phones one after the other, so they acquire their settings from VoIP provider.

You may have to flush your tables though

Many thanks

John

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »

Don't you have to enable some ALG (Application Level Gateway) or something in the GUI?

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »

Hi

I would think you need to remove your port forward rule for VoIP and open the port for VoIP in firewall.

Then repower your VoIP phones one after the other, so they acquire their settings from VoIP provider.

You may have to flush your tables though

Many thanks

John

Thanks for your reply, John. I'm not quite sure how to open the port in the firewall. Would that Application Filtering? I did disabale the firewall, but that made no difference. The firewall is currently enabled in bridge mode though and VOIP is ok, so would imply it operates differently when in router mode.

Andy.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »

Don't you have to enable some ALG (Application Level Gateway) or something in the GUI?
Thanks for the suggestion which I did try as well to no effect.

Andy.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »

Hi

Are your IP address of VoIP phone on the same network

I'm thinking they may have retained same bridge settings perhaps.

Also, so I clearly understand, you have reset your hg back to router from bridge mode and all other devices work apart from VoIP phones.

If the phones are on the same network, can you ping them and bring up the web GUI for them.

Is the gateway address correct for your network

What VoIP ports are you using, in router mode these need opening in firewall and firewall should be on.

Have you restarted your hg to make sure settings are saved

These are just some thoughts

Many thanks

John

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 04:07:34 PM »

Hi

Are your IP address of VoIP phone on the same network

Yes they are on the same network.

I'm thinking they may have retained same bridge settings perhaps.

Also, so I clearly understand, you have reset your hg back to router from bridge mode and all other devices work apart from VoIP phones.

Correct, but as I needed the VoIP phones active I have gone back to bridged mode.

If the phones are on the same network, can you ping them and bring up the web GUI for them.

Yes.

Is the gateway address correct for your network

Yes

What VoIP ports are you using, in router mode these need opening in firewall and firewall should be on.

One is a Gigaset N300 and I'm using the default ports:

SIP : 5060-5076
RTP : 5004-5010

Can you explain the mechanism for opening the ports please. It's not apparent from the GUI or manual. Thanks.

Have you restarted your hg to make sure settings are saved

No I haven't restarted.

These are just some thoughts

Many thanks

John

Hi John, thanks for comming back. I've answered in red above. I'll need to make time to reconfigure back to router, but am wary of too many restarts as my line stats are starting to drop.

Andy.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »

I can't really understand why they're failing to register. It's the most basic of TCP connections outbound, which should be NAT'd like everything else?
What am I missing? :)

Not DNS related, perhaps?

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »

I can't really understand why they're failing to register. It's the most basic of TCP connections outbound, which should be NAT'd like everything else?
What am I missing? :)

Not DNS related, perhaps?
I know the feeling!  ???

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »

SIP debug is pretty verbose - what error are you seeing? Or is it just timing out?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »

Hi

Please could I ask if the VoIP phones are dhcp or static

If static, I think I read somewhere that the hg612 dhcp does not play well with static ip

I think the firewall as well is perhaps not that good and this maybe the issue perhaps.

I'll have to think a little more but as I do not have the same setup you want to use, I cannot test beyond theory or thoughts.

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

SIP debug is pretty verbose - what error are you seeing? Or is it just timing out?
Don't think I'd get this from the Gigaset, but maybe the Linksys. I'll need to set up a syslog server I guess. Thanks, I'll look into that.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:01 PM »

Hi John. They are both static addresses. I could probably set up the DHCP server elsewhere and try that, but will need to revert back to router mode first. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Andy.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »

Hi andy

Many thanks, I believe you might have to use the hg dhcp though for it to work.

Personally I would leave hg in bridge mode and drop in a draytek as router.

I myself do not think the hg is a full blown router, and may not have enough processing power to feed everything, but this is my personal thoughts, not based on anything apart from I'm a firm believer in offloading services to dedicated systems.

My connection has a hg as bridge, splits into home hub, Sam knows, firewall-then-draytek router.

Some users may think total overkill, but we have 5 ip and can use dynamic ip if needed from Bt, and run services which need protection.

I hope that helps and hopefully may fix your issue on VoIP, which I'll follow, so hopefully whatever your fix is, is good to know

Many thanks

John

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »

Thanks John.

You are probably right in that it is not quite up to the job.

I have a Mac environment and use an Apple Time Capsule which I understand has a PPPoE client and has router/DHCP capability as well, so maybe I'll give that a try. Otherwise I'll investigate other routers as the T/C is sparse on ports although they are all 1Gb.

Thanks again for your help.

Andy.
Pages: [1] 2

anything