Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed  (Read 85780 times)

npr

• Reg Member
Re: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »

Sounds like my VMG8924-B10 behaved while using the under powered power supply. In my case it was often after I'd used telnet to access the stats.
The log showed the reboot was due to a "shared memory issue", can't remember the actual wording but will dig it out if required.

Error message was "Out of MDM shared memory need to reboot "
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:43:00 AM by npr »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »

Hi

Well I got the replacement today, as an experiment I'm going to try the version 7 firmware exactly as before (already have the saved config) to see if it is any more stable, that way I will know if the original was faulty due to hardware, or if it was a software issue.

Regards

Phil

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »

Has anyone got DSLstats working on this consistently?

I've tried logging in using the 8324 profile and I can successfully login about 1 time in 20 and the rest of the time it just says login failed?

Any suggestions?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »

Some versions of the 8324 firmware seem to limit the number of telnet accesses in some way. I don't recall the details, but I guess the same might apply to the 8924.
  Eric

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:59 PM »

Hi

Yes only one telnet session on the latest ZyXEL VMG8924 firmware.

Okay so been testing the replacement, okay so far, however on clicking around the Web GUI and keeping an eye on shared MBM memory, I saw the memory plummet to 84KB from 300+, so presumably the next visit or two to the GUI is going to result in a reboot.

Was the first one a hardware fault after all, we will never know.  The replacement seems a lot more stable than the first one was, it hasn't crashed yet, but obviously will do soon.  I'll try the new beta firmware.

Regards

Phil

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »

Some versions of the 8324 firmware seem to limit the number of telnet accesses in some way. I don't recall the details, but I guess the same might apply to the 8924.

Thank you for that, probably a daft question, but how can i close the existing sessions so I can look at the stats?

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

The latest firmware (8b2) fixed the re-boot issue with my VMG8924-B10.  ;D
Two days up time and my free memory is 311KB.   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »

Thank you for that, probably a daft question, but how can i close the existing sessions so I can look at the stats?

I was just speculating really. DSLstats logs in and out before and after collecting each sample, so it doesn't by itself block telnet access to the device. But I was wondering if this model also has a problem with frequent telnet logins, leading to the problem you've got.
  Eric

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »

dslstats samples the stats ok here with my VMG8924-B10, in fact I run a script which also telnets in to the router once every half hour.
Yes, it does only allow 1 active telnet session but as roseway says dslstats logs out once it's taken the samples, it hasn't yet conflicted with my script's telnet access.

I would check if you have some other software accessing the router via telnet or if the PC's firewall is blocking telnet to the router.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »

Hi

Well on the version 7 firmware, as predicted due to the sudden drop of shared memory, after a couple of hours I've logged in to the Web GUI and it rebooted!

In the log I have "Out of MDM shared memory need to reboot"

Now updating to the beta 8 version.

Regards

Phil

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »

Hi

No more memory leak on the 8 Beta 2 firmware, however I've managed to make it completely lock up in the same way as the first one and require a hard reset (paper clip to the hole at the back in order to get it to boot again) using the Email Logging feature.

I had set the email server to an internal IP of an SMTP server on my network, no user name/password required, and then set up the Email log with the SMTP server and then from the Log asked it to email the log, it then just gets stuck at the "Loading..." icon and essentially the web GUI and Telnet are non responsive.  The router didn't reboot itself as it has done before, I'm guessing that was due to the Shared MDM memory filling up before which it doesn't do now.  So all I could do was power off and back on again to where it no longer fully boots up.

I'll forward a bug report to ZyXEL, but not very impressed overall that such major bugs exist, they need to get these things tested.

So a warning, don't try and use the option of emailing out the event log.

Regards

Phil

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »

You are having a bad time with the 8924 !!!

According to http://tjworld.net/wiki/Zyxel/VDSL_IAD#no1 [reference in Kitz Router page for the Zyxel 8324]:

The Motherboard for the 8324 & 8924 are the same, the 8924 has a Broadcom BCM4360 based mini-PCIe adapter in a mini-PCIe card slot.
The slot and associated components are not present in the VMG8324 although the solder pads are there. 

I am therefore finding the reboots etc surprising [NOT suggesting they are not happening]

I have the logging setup and e-mail alerts and it is working without memory problem(AFAIK)/reboots.
The difference is I am using the ver 6b1 firmware as are others on kitz.

Question:If you disable the Wireless on the Zyxel so it is not running any software related to Wireless comms , is it stable ?

In my case I am connecting to the Zyxel via an ASUS Router (RTAC56U) and not using any of the Wireless functionality on the Zyxel.
As stated it appears to be running OK. i.e. running for 18+ days since last re-sync with no known issues.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »

Hi

It is stable now on the beta 8 firmware, so definitely a firmware bug with the random reboots, apart from emailing the log which appears to be another firmware issue.

Are you using an external or internal SMTP server for emailing?

So my next try is to use a Remote Syslog program and send the logs remotely, this doesn't appear to work at all, no events reach the syslog server.

Regards

Phil

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »

I was going to setup my own SMTP server then realised that I could use the ISP's SMTP Relay server.

I send the e-mails to an special address on a Yahoo account, that I can access from anywhere I want.

Does the job without the bother of setting-up & securing my own SMTP Server.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »

Hi

As it seems pretty stable now I've connected directly to VDSL via the ZyXEL rather than via the HG612, it gave an extra 1.5db of SNR, so up from 8 to 9.5.  Will see how it goes, but nice to have a one box solution and the extra SNR is a bit more protection from cross-talk.

Regards

Phil
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

anything