Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed  (Read 85544 times)

Tyke

Re: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 10:20:32 AM »

Strange but my increasin CRCs have returned again this weekend with it peaking at around 800/minute in the past hour and my ES rising as a consequence. Be interesting to see if this all goes away by Monday again. I have no idea why as noting in the locality seems to have changed, only thing is it is wet and windy again!

Stuart

PS. No not tried port forwarding again yet.

Got exactly the same with my Billion 8800NL using the firmware with version 39 DSL driver. Going back to the 38 driver cured the problems. Maybe try an older firmware with the older driver?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »

Got exactly the same with my Billion 8800NL using the firmware with version 39 DSL driver. Going back to the 38 driver cured the problems. Maybe try an older firmware with the older driver?

Should have said that the Zyxel is still not doing the DSL part, still using my HG612. I may try the ZyXEL native soon but have not done so yet.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »

Hi

Just got one of these on order so looking around doing my research after purchase  ::)

I would try the Zyxel directly on the line and see if that cures the CRC errors.  It might be some constructive interference between the two boxes, are they fairly close in proximity?  It could be you always had these phases of noise on the line and with an extra bit of noise thrown in by the Zyxel it now shows up as CRC errors, or could just be a coincidence.

I'm replacing an HG612 and a Billion 7800DX to get a one box solution and AC Wi-FI, and this one ticked the boxes with the option of VoIP as well.  I think Billion were looking to bring out something similar to the Zyxel but news seems to be they've dropped plans to.  The Zyxel VMG8924 is certainly comprehensive with all the settings and features available, will be nice to have alerts emailed (the Billion takes email server settings but never emails anything proactively), plus hopefully a firewall that works.  The Billion firewall doesn't do anything when you port forward as that takes priority, so to restrict access to a port forward it's a case of needing to block outgoing traffic!

Should have it in a couple of days hopefully.  Seen Kitz setup instructions so will follow those.

Regards

Phil

Tyke

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 07:43:54 PM »

Hi

Just got one of these on order so looking around doing my research after purchase  ::)

I would try the Zyxel directly on the line and see if that cures the CRC errors.  It might be some constructive interference between the two boxes, are they fairly close in proximity?  It could be you always had these phases of noise on the line and with an extra bit of noise thrown in by the Zyxel it now shows up as CRC errors, or could just be a coincidence.

I'm replacing an HG612 and a Billion 7800DX to get a one box solution and AC Wi-FI, and this one ticked the boxes with the option of VoIP as well.  I think Billion were looking to bring out something similar to the Zyxel but news seems to be they've dropped plans to.  The Zyxel VMG8924 is certainly comprehensive with all the settings and features available, will be nice to have alerts emailed (the Billion takes email server settings but never emails anything proactively), plus hopefully a firewall that works.  The Billion firewall doesn't do anything when you port forward as that takes priority, so to restrict access to a port forward it's a case of needing to block outgoing traffic!

Should have it in a couple of days hopefully.  Seen Kitz setup instructions so will follow those.

Regards

Phil

If you are BT Infinity the 802.1p setting only worked for me set to 1 not 2!

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »

Hi

Cheers for the tip, I had read your post elsewhere so it was already in my head to try 1 if 2 didn't work, currently on the Billion the setting is -1 which means untagged according to the interface.  I'm with Xilo, not sure that makes a difference, so hopefully 1 or 2 will work.

Regards

Phil

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »

Yes they are quite close, only a matter of inches actually. I might try moving the HG612 a bit further away, however the error bursts when they happen are quite extreme and I would have thought that if they were interfering with each other then the problem would be relatively constant. If moving the HG612 makes no discernible difference then I will try the 8924 directly on the line later.

Stuart

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Hi

Just received this router this morning, coming from a Billion 7800DX.

Not had chance to set it up yet apart from plug in and connect from a tablet, but initial impressions are positive.  It is a fairly nondescript black plastic box with a "piano" finished front, it doesn't offend though, certainly for me it's much more attractive than the white vertical style that Billion seem to have switched to which was my other option for an all in one box.  I guess a lot depends on decor to which blends in more.

The indicators on the front are very smart, coming from the Billion where one LED flashed they all lit up to some degree because of the way the light guide worked, plus you could see them all through the vents lending an air of cheapness, and you didn't know what the LEDs were signalling without getting close to read the labeling underneath, the ZyXEL is much better designed in this regard.  The vertical standing should help with cooling, although the 7800DX didn't get particularly hot as it was mostly vents.  You can even turn the LEDs off or schedule them off, now that's a good design thought.

The Web UI looks more sophisticated, much more graphical than the Billion UI which always looked very dated to me.  It certainly offers a lot more features, I'm sure 90% of them I'll never use or change.

Nexus 9 connected at over 800Mbits/sec on AC on 5GHz in same room.

I'll set it up later and report back.

Regards

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »

Hi

Cheers for the tip, I had read your post elsewhere so it was already in my head to try 1 if 2 didn't work, currently on the Billion the setting is -1 which means untagged according to the interface.  I'm with Xilo, not sure that makes a difference, so hopefully 1 or 2 will work.

Regards

Phil

Thanks Tyke - Ive added a note on the setup page.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 12:31:48 PM »

I moved the HG612 today a bit further away from the ZyXEL but it has not made any difference to the CRC spikes as I had one of about 300/min a short while ago. I will try removing the HG612 in a day or so to see how the ZyXEL stands up on its own.

I did have an issue with 2.4ghz wi-fi yesterday where one of my printers refused to connect until I re-booted the ZyXEL manually. I only have 2 printers and one tablet which use 2.4ghz and then not often but I have had no reboots of the router which have not been instigated by me.

Stuart

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 09:09:49 PM »

Hi

Up and running okay, still connected to the HG612 via the WAN port just in case I needed to reboot the router while configuring, and so didn't want the DLM to throw one.

For info, anyone on Xilo, then VLAN settings don't apply, so untick the Active VLAN box.  On the Billion the 802.1P and 802.1q were set as -1, which is no setting.

Regards

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 12:29:04 AM »

For info, anyone on Xilo, then VLAN settings don't apply, so untick the Active VLAN box.

Interesting - thank you for letting us know.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 07:05:46 AM »

Hi

Well after configuring the ZyXEL with nothing too complex, a port forward, a static entry in DHCP, turned on logging and added a schedule for Wi-Fi, it suddenly stopped working.

Lights are on, no one at home.  It stopped dishing out IP addresses (seemed to be working fine up to this) and I can't access the admin interface on either wired or Wi-Fi (well Wi-Fi will not connect given no IP addresses are given out).

The lights on the box, show Power on, no WAN connection now to the Internet, the network light for the WAN port is on, the light for LAN wired connections is on (occasional flicker), the 2.4G Wi-Fi light is on, and the 5G Wi-Fi light is on but dimmed.  It seems to go through the boot sequence then stop at this, I'm thinking a corrupt configuration, so next step when I have chance is to try and reset it then reconfigure.  This is on the latest firmware (7).

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Phil

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »

If you want to investigate what is going on and have NOT powered the Zyxel off, there is the 4-pin header on the motherboard.

Connect a USB to RS232/TTL PL2303HX Cable Adapter COM Module Converter Adapter for Arduino to the header and you have an always open serial connection.
I bought this off ebay UK Here

For connection Instructions and much more see dmcdonnell's Excellent thread 'Unbranding the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A' :
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13939.msg269724.html#msg269724

It was intended to allow the Eircom F1000 to be converted to an unlocked Zyxel vmg8324-B10a.
I used it to update the bootloader to allow zyxel firmware to be installed from the GUI
Additionally I can now capture all output when the router is running.
[Various process/scripts spit out messages which are not logged anywhere you can easiliy access. With no terminal connected the messages are lost.]
You will also need on windows 'ExtraPutty.exe' [search google to get] to setup a serial terminal @ 115200/8/1/None with DTR/RTS enabled.

You can connect the header cable and route it through one of the screw holes to make it all neat. [See Pic]
I can get access to the router by multiple means and catch all error messages etc.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »

Hi

Thanks for that tip.  I already have a RS232/TTL to USB board I use for microprocessor programming.  I'm a little reluctant of course to play around too much in case it is broken (i.e. more than software problem) and so I need to send it back, but might be tempted later once I know it is okay hardware wise.

What is the best method to update the firmware?  I used the Web UI interface and the Bin file, then did a reset to defaults just in case.  I noticed they bundle an EXE app to update the firmware, I'm wondering if that does more than via the Web UI (perhaps updating a boot loader via the EXE that doesn't happen via the Web UI), also they include a default Config file (.rom), should I have uploaded that after updating the firmware?

Regards

Phil

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »

I cannot answer as I got my Zyxel (Eircom F1000) 2nd hand from dmcdonnell (No software included/needed)

If it is not too much trouble I would be grateful to get a copy of the files (*.exe & *.rom).
I would be able to investigate what the difference is.

The Web UI interface and the Bin file, then a reset to defaults is the way I have updated.

Remember to search kitz for the Thread about firmware for the Zyxel.
(Cannot find right now as I am going out the door ......)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14