Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Sport  (Read 7943 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BT Sport
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »

The latest from our BT Consumer CEO (John Petter). Not everyone's cup of tea, but it appears neither are Apple products, ;), just for information purposes ............

BT Sport wins rights to more live Premier League football matches

BT Sport is to show even more live top-flight football matches after winning exclusive live rights to 42 Premier League matches per season from August 2016 for three years.
The new rights will see BT Sport show a live Saturday evening game every Premier League weekend from 2016-17 for three seasons. Having secured the prime evening TV viewing slot, it will allow us to build on our current Saturday programming and appeal to an even larger audience. It will also enhance our existing schedule of football, rugby and other international sport, including all the live footballing action from the UEFA Champions and Europa Leagues starting this summer. The channel also has live rights to the FA Cup for the next three years and live football matches from top-flight European leagues, including Germany’s Bundesliga, Italy’s Serie A and France’s Ligue 1.
And from 2015-16, BT Sport will now be the only channel showing live action from four key tournaments – Premier League, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and the FA Cup.
We will announce how we will offer these matches closer to the start of the 2016-17 season and we’ll continue to seek to make Premier League matches as widely available and as affordable as possible.
BT Sport has got off to a strong start, reaching more than five million households and commercial premises, by making itself far more affordable and accessible to sports fans.
We’re delighted there will be even more unmissable moments on BT Sport - in 2015-16 when we will add UEFA Champions and Europa Leagues and in 2016-17 when we add even more Premier League matches.
Exciting times lie ahead.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: BT Sport
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »

42 now at a cost of £7.26m per game
:o :o :o :o
from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6834-5-1-billion-splurged-on-premier-league-tv-rights.html

yow but cheaper that skys games
£11m per game

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »

Yup .......... there's only America's NFL worth more per game. Madness ?? Market-forces ?? Good ?? Bad ?? That's personal opinion .....  :)

captainkirk

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:53:21 PM »

It's a scary amount of money to show a few football matches, sometimes I think the world has gone mad!  Mind you, other half is most happy that he will have extra premiership matches with BT  :) 

You have to wonder at what point do those sort of figures become unsustainable especially for Sky, they must need a huge amount of signees for it to work.   I still haven't got over the loss of F1 from the BBC yet  >:(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:43:26 PM »

Does anyone really give a  :tongue: what the BT CEO keeps on posting to his employees,The bottom line is that Premier league football is the biggest consumer rip off in this country and is certainly not value for money.
This will have to be paid for and at some point consumers line rental will go up AGAIN to contribute towards this.The old saying 'there is no such thing as a free lunch' is very true and at some point this bun fight will want paying for.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:59:34 PM »

the 5 billion combined deal is a train wreck.

What are BT gaining from this financially, it seems as if they doing it just to force sky to pay more and trash sky's business plan.

There is hints of the FTTC BTw network falling apart, the FTTP rollout was clawed back but they spending billions on sports rights.

UncleUB is bang on, its a clear ripoff, we dont even get all the games televised either.  I am baffled how the EPL keep getting away with it. Both sky and BT are mugs.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 11:03:13 PM »

It is indeed an obscene amount of money and to my mind highlights what's wrong with football in this country. I am not and never will be a footy fan but that is not the point, it does nothing for development of football and and in my view there are probably fewer professional premier league footballers than I have fingers on one hand who are decent role models for our youngsters, hardly any are British players anyway which is why I dont believe we will ever win any international trophies. The other point is that none of these professionals in the top flight are worth the salaries they get paid (note paid not earn!). Also where is the competition between TV companies? There is none it is simply the one with the deepest pockets who get the rights, which is why F1 and the Golf Open have gone the same way, only a matter of time before Wimbledon goes that way as well.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »

I am a footy fan and I agree with you.

My team is in the EPL yet has only been shown live about 3 times, hardly value for money.

Yet I watch via nbc sports for 10% the price of sky and it shows ALL EPL games.  The UK media companies are been taken for a ride.

Ofcom's idea to force 2 winners also has made the consumer lost out.  Before ofcom did that sky had the entire package, but when they lost some games sky's price went up not down, and the consumer was having to pay a 2nd provider as well as sky.

Note setanta went bust (not sustainable), and espn realised it wasnt viable, the 2 previous rights holders before BT.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:09:01 AM by Chrysalis »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 07:32:21 AM »

Does anyone really give a  :tongue: what the BT CEO keeps on posting to his employees,The bottom line is that Premier league football is the biggest consumer rip off in this country and is certainly not value for money.
This will have to be paid for and at some point consumers line rental will go up AGAIN to contribute towards this.The old saying 'there is no such thing as a free lunch' is very true and at some point this bun fight will want paying for.

I post them up as they are what I consider 'News' ....... usually before the man-in-the-street gets to hear about it. I think it's apt to post the facts up here, about where BT are in the world of FTTC/P, and what its next intentions are.

If folk like your goodself aren't interested in them, then I'm more than happy to do less work and refrain from posting these snippets.
On the flip-side, if folk are interested, then I'll continue and you can either a) Block my posts by utilising the 'Ignore this user' function b) Just ignore my posts when you see them.

I use the 'Ignore this user' function myself, not through pettiness, it's for my convenience. That's what it is there for.  :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »

I for one appreciate Mr Sheep's updates, it's nice to hear about what is going on first hand, the vectoring info he gave us was really interesting (or maybe I'm just sad  :P )

captainkirk

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »

You're not the only sad one Mark - I have been interested in Mr Sheep's articles too (please do not stop posting them!).    Sometimes, like the BT one, they can tell you a lot about what's going on by what is not included as well as what it - i.e. no information in the post about cost and how the model will hold up in the future - but, as a chap who I used to work with always said, a fishmonger doesn't shout rotten fish  ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 03:32:05 PM »

I got no issue with his updates.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:53 PM »

I post them up as they are what I consider 'News' ....... usually before the man-in-the-street gets to hear about it. I think it's apt to post the facts up here, about where BT are in the world of FTTC/P, and what its next intentions are.

If folk like your goodself aren't interested in them, then I'm more than happy to do less work and refrain from posting these snippets.
On the flip-side, if folk are interested, then I'll continue and you can either a) Block my posts by utilising the 'Ignore this user' function b) Just ignore my posts when you see them.

I use the 'Ignore this user' function myself, not through pettiness, it's for my convenience. That's what it is there for.  :)

Calm down BS,no need to shout,my reference was to your CEO not yourself.He seems to think this is a good thing,well it might be to him but imo all it does is keep on reducing our ability as a footballing nation.It just keeps on attracting foreign mercenaries footballers who are getting paid vast amounts(Yaya Toure @ Man City is getting in excess of £220.000 a week for example)while clubs continue to rip off supporters.Yes I know no one forces them to go through the turnstiles,but many real fans are just priced out of going to games.
I  have been a SWFC fan all my life and I think that when the premier leaguue started was the start of the death of English football.
As for yourself posting hot off the press BT info, I haven't got a problem with it.I shall await a snippet of news telling me my line rental is being increased again to help subsidise BT sports. ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »

Tried to post this morning, but wireless throwing a temporary wobbly...

Does anyone really give a  :tongue: what the BT CEO keeps on posting to his employees,

I should first declare an interest, or rather a total lack of interest, in football.

I am always interested, however, in anything which pertains to the UK's dominant telecoms company, and I think we're privileged to have among our number a 'man on the inside'. Keep up the good work BS.  :)

The bottom line is that Premier league football is the biggest consumer rip off in this country and is certainly not value for money.

+1

To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 07:39:15 PM »

Phew <wipes brow icon> ..... it seems the posts are welcome from one and all. Thanks for feedback everyone, business as usual. :)
Pages: [1] 2