Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Opinions on Asus AC68U vs Netgear R7000  (Read 10158 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Opinions on Asus AC68U vs Netgear R7000
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »

You live in the same sort of household as me Chunks - except my 'kids' are in their twenties  :)  it's always my fault if the internet drops for which I am supposed to find an instant cure!  Since we have had infinity and hubby has football I get the same question from him - 'what have YOU done to the internet?'   ???

Same, I am considered technical support and ANYTHING that goes wrong is my fault including power cuts, ISP problems, failures, hehe.

We can't get vDSL here so we have limited bandwidth which results in what I call 'bandwidth wars' and much arguing, lol

captainkirk

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 10:47:48 AM »

That made me laugh Chunkers, exactly how I get treated here :)

Can I ask how you are getting on with the Asus, I had to send the Netgear back as it wouldn't work with the BT's multicast streaming so I'm looking for another router with very good Wi-Fi capabilities - I can't figure out whether I'd be better off with the Asus 68U or if the Asus 66U would be enough.  We only got fibre in the village in November and the max we can get is 18/19 mb but having said that we could only get 2.5 mb on ADSL so it really is hugely better. 

And, I have to tell you - has solved the bandwidth wars  :D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »

.......Can I ask how you are getting on with the Asus, I had to send the Netgear back as it wouldn't work with the BT's multicast streaming so I'm looking for another router with very good Wi-Fi capabilities - I can't figure out whether I'd be better off with the Asus 68U or if the Asus 66U would be enough..... 

Sure, here is a quick summary from my perspective although I haven't used many of its features yet.  As mentioned above I kept my Billion 7800N and use it as a modem in bridge mode and 'upgraded' my network with the AC68U.

- Installation was very straightforward and the 'bridge' seems to work seamlessly, especially considering (as usual) I completely ignored the manual :)
- Wireless range is about the same as my Billion was, not much improvement but speed is higher.  Especially at close range I have measured connection speeds 3 x higher than my old router was capable.  I guess thats the 11ac.
- My network was already Gb but, the AC68U is definitely faster though, this is most noticeable when multitasking i.e. muitliple transfers it doesn't seem to slow down like the Billion did
- I set up fixed IP's, changed DNS servers to OpenDNS, set up DHCP server and port forwarding for various bits and pieces in about 10 minutes with no research due to the really good webUI which I think is one of the selling points of the router, its really nice and well laid out

Untested so far :

I haven't tried the USB ports yet, I have NAS on my network and don't really have a use for it but just for you I stuck in a USB3 memory stick and the UI does all the right stuff :)
VPN server - I will be using this when I am out of the country but haven't set it up yet
Third party firmware - I will be installing Merlin's fw if I can think of a reason why I need it, the base firmware is pretty good and seems to meet all my requirements

Downsides

The only thing I have to complain about currently is that I can no longer see my Billion connection stats or tweak my modem setting from the router GUI, I miss seeing the connection stats but the tweaking never gave me much anyway tbh.  I suspect there is a way of doing this but I just haven't worked it out yet cba

Summary :

Can't see a downside really, its UI is streets ahead of the competition I have seen and it is working flawlessly and has a 3 year warranty.  With the big user-base I am also hoping to get years of support updates (firmware etc) from Asus.

In your case if the budget is tight I suspect unless you are a heavy user or need USB3 port I doubt you will see much difference in performance from the AC66U which, superficially, seems to offer mostly similar features. Personally my 'upgrade cycle time' for stuff on my network is quite long i.e. I have been using my Billion for 7 years so I try and future proof a little by buying up-scale products.

Cheers

Chunks

captainkirk

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »

Thanks for that Chunks, I really do appreciate the information and thanks also for trying the usb (that is something I would use).   I try to keep things for sometime as well if I can so I think the 68U would be the one most suitable and I do know from the BT forum that it is fine (with a few changes to settings) to use with the BT sports multicasting.

Tyke

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »

I have managed to get the Billion working OK in Bridged Mode into my Asus. However, I can't access the stats directly, only by a separate LAN connection. Setting Port Grouping on the Billion dos seem to have stopped the disconnects I was getting via the LAN though. However since enabling port grouping I can only get the Asus to connect to PPPOE by using the LAN 1 port (the one I have set in Port Grouping) to connect to the Asus WAN port, and then using the EWAN port to connect to the Asus to get stats!
Anyone know how I can access the stats directly through the WAN connection.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:57 PM »

I have managed to get the Billion working OK in Bridged Mode into my Asus. However, I can't access the stats directly, only by a separate LAN connection. Setting Port Grouping on the Billion dos seem to have stopped the disconnects I was getting via the LAN though. However since enabling port grouping I can only get the Asus to connect to PPPOE by using the LAN 1 port (the one I have set in Port Grouping) to connect to the Asus WAN port, and then using the EWAN port to connect to the Asus to get stats!
Anyone know how I can access the stats directly through the WAN connection.
I would also like to know if this is possible (DSL stats via WAN connection)

Cheers!

Pages: 1 [2]