Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Opinions on Asus AC68U vs Netgear R7000  (Read 10157 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Opinions on Asus AC68U vs Netgear R7000
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »

I am struggling a bit with this and would value some opinions as I am about to push the button.

I like the Asus interface but the Netgear seems to edge it terms of performance in the reviews I read plus it seems well favoured by the alternative firmware community.

Anyone got any RL experience they can bring to bear ?

My network is messy combo of Gigabit, Homeplug, wireless with probably about 30-40 devices (PC's, Apple stuff, NAS, TV's and other stuff) spread over a moderately sized house with wifi blackspots.  I also use VPN when I am abroad.  Plan to use my Billion 7800N modem in bridge mode until FTTC arrives.

Thanks in advance

Chunks

carlmagic

Re: Opinions on Asus AC68U vs Netgear R7000
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »

I will say Merlin released the new version of his firmware the other day for the AC68U and so far for me it has been amazing. So much configuration, Adaptive QOS (does it on its own basically), it also has implemented AI Protection on it now (Powered by Trend Micro : http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008719/ )

Adaptive QOS with bandwidth monitor:
Ive set some devices as high and other than that it runs on programs / ports

Merlins firmware has OPENVPN already installed and can be configured easily.

Also people seem to be reporting that the new firmware has improved the wireless: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=22627&page=7

I haven't used the R7000 so cannot comment, these are my opinions on the AC68U :) If you want to know anything about it specificity let me know.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I do like the Asus interface a lot, its a much better UI.

As with all these things on the internet if you look hard enough you can always find people who have had bad experiences. 

Chunks

DeltaFX

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »

And you can adjust snrm with the AC-68U

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:47:08 AM »

OK, enough research and forum browsing.  I got off the fence and ordered the AC68U today.

Thanks

Chunks

carlmagic

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »

THe normal AC68U or the DSL version?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:33:07 AM »

The normal one and I will bridge the modem from my 7800N, currently it still performs pretty well as a modem

Chunks

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »

Got my AC68U bridged with my Billion 7800N acting as modem and all seems ot be working pretty well so far.

The firmware is sooo much better than the Billion.

One question : the Billion is transparent in bridge mode as far as I can tell so is there any way of getting my line stats via the Asus AC68U or by telnet or something?

Thanks!

Chunks

captainkirk

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

Chunkers, during your research did you happen to come across any info regarding the netgear as to whether it supports multicast for bt tv.  I have been looking on the internet but I can't make head nor tail of it...which is nothing new :)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 07:04:52 AM »

Chunkers, during your research did you happen to come across any info regarding the netgear as to whether it supports multicast for bt tv.  I have been looking on the internet but I can't make head nor tail of it...which is nothing new :)
Sorry, I kinda gave up on the Netgear because although the hardware looks great I got a lot of feedback that the support and development effort from Netgear is lacking.

This put me off it before I looked until details.

Chunks

captainkirk

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »

Thanks for the information, I ended up at the netgear site - didn't realise that they had a chat support system so was able to talk to a rep last night - he says that it does have support for multicast tv and then, whilst reading the reviews on a sales site, someone had put in there that it worked fine with infinity and bt tv - took some digging out though!

carlmagic

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »

Got my AC68U bridged with my Billion 7800N acting as modem and all seems ot be working pretty well so far.

One question : the Billion is transparent in bridge mode as far as I can tell so is there any way of getting my line stats via the Asus AC68U or by telnet or something?

Thanks!

Chunks

Have you stuck to the asus firmware or gone with merlins build? I highly reccomend merlins firmware its amazing and has the same UI as asus' (its based on it)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »

Thanks!

Chunks

Have you stuck to the asus firmware or gone with merlins build? I highly reccomend merlins firmware its amazing and has the same UI as asus' (its based on it)
I will almost certainly flash Merlin's firmware but am waiting until after the kids are back at school just in case I have to do any tweaking.  If I keep the internet off for more than 30 secs there will be a riot!

Chunks

captainkirk

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »

You live in the same sort of household as me Chunks - except my 'kids' are in their twenties  :)  it's always my fault if the internet drops for which I am supposed to find an instant cure!  Since we have had infinity and hubby has football I get the same question from him - 'what have YOU done to the internet?'   ???

captainkirk

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »

Scratch the above information on the Netgear - it does not work with BT multicast tv - was assured by Netgear sales that it does but after two days trying to get it to work I went to their support team who promptly told me multicast is only configurable at the present time for Malaysia and Hong Kong. 
Pages: [1] 2

anything