Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another HG612 To Try.  (Read 5785 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Another HG612 To Try.
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:18:08 PM »

I had given to me by a person in our village a HG612 Mark3  :).
I unlocked it and set it up to use my connection but it would Not go on the internet at all  :(.
I could get DSL but it's WAN ip address was wrong it kept going to an 10.7.X.Y address and not my one of 82.X.Y.Z also the DG was wrong .
I put my Netgear DG834GT back and that worked straight away and connected to the correct DG and IP Address .

Any idea's what going on.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Another HG612 To Try.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:11:29 PM »

Last time I thought there was something deeply flawed about your config, how you were using WAN addresses where I would expect to see a LAN address.

Are you trying to configure it as a modem (bridge) or a modem/router?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »

Last time I thought there was something deeply flawed about your config, how you were using WAN addresses where I would expect to see a LAN address.

Are you trying to configure it as a modem (bridge) or a modem/router?
Nothing flawed about my 'Block of Static ip's' it just you do not understand about them. ;D
Set up for adsl = modem/router.

What normally happens I configure my isp log on details (username and password) that should take my WAN connection to a Default Gateway of 82.153.X.Y and that gives me access to my set of Static ip's 82.152.y.z , these are set up for only me to use (I'm the resisted user), forget the fact that I need to use three of my ip's to get on the internet.

What I have seen on the WAN today a Default Gateway of 10.7.0.1 and a ip Address of 10.7.200.45
My point is these ip's are only meant to be used inside local area networks I have not set these the modem has connected to something with these and give me a DSL connection, how and what..
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »

Are you surprised it doesn't work? I'm not.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 12:10:30 AM »

I'm going to re-flash it as I think it's somehow kept some of it settings from it previous life.  ;)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 12:54:42 AM »

Good idea. I can't think where they came from.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:15:35 AM »

It was used on the same exchange as me also on ADSL line with a home hub 3B, that would connected to the HG612 via PPPoE
and to the DSLAM with those ip's ??????

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »

Re-flashed but just the same. :'(

This was configured and has the same firmware as the first HG612 but that was a mark 2B and this one is a mark 3B.

So to prove my line works I put back the old HG612 2B and it connected straight away.

So why will the Mark 3B NOT work in the same way.

On both HG612  I went to the Settings>Maintenance>Diagnose.

First the Mark 3B (my latest modem).

Auto Diagnose.
DSL Status The DSL is connected.

PPPoE status Obtaining the IP address succeeded.   0.0.38 The IP address is  10.7.12.244.

Network Status Obtaining the PPPoE of the default gateway failed.  Please check the PPPoE of the default gateway.

Mark 2B (The old one that works)
Auto Diagnose

DSL Status The DSL is connected.

PPPoE status Obtaining the IP address succeeded.   0.0.38 The IP address is  82.152.X.Y

Network Status The diagnosis results are all passed. You can access the Network properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------____________________-------------------------------------------

I'm still thinking the New modem the  (mark 3b) is going back to some hidden settings and wants to connect via PPPoE like it did in the house across the lane from my house when it was used with a Home Hub .

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:21 PM »

Have you performed a "long reset"? (Whilst the device is powered up, press and hold depressed the reset button for a minimum of 20 seconds.) That will restore all the default settings of the HG612.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »

Have you performed a "long reset"? (Whilst the device is powered up, press and hold depressed the reset button for a minimum of 20 seconds.) That will restore all the default settings of the HG612.

Yes several times .

You cannot see any differences in the configs between the two modems  :'(

I just get these odd WAN IP's when it connected, I can ping this odd ip of 10.7.12.244 (which is a dynamic ip as it keeps changing each time I connect) but I can not ping the default gateway, I also get a good DSL .

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »

I give my credit to 'Kitz' in this post   http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14989.0
When she said "@kitz    Do however check for logins very carefully.   Its possible that the old owners login may still be entered in the router.  So in this case BT would be sending you to the ISP entered in the SSB log and Eclipse RADIUS then saying 'no that login name and password isnt one of ours'.   You'd have sync, but no internet. "

So I set out to Delete present modem details by holding the reset button on the back for 60 sec's, then also re-install different firmware, I did this process 3 times without  configuring the details.

Next I started configuring it, but as I got to the Basic>WAN setting there was in the password box about six dots to suggest there was still some info not getting deleted so I filled the password box with 111111111111 them back-spaced them to remove then filled it with 000000000000000 did the same twice more , then put in my login details, tested it and  IT WORKED  ;D :)  :clap: :thumbs:
Now I will try to get some stats.
A speed test showed  4.36M down and 700k up  ;D that's the best I have ever had for my long line.

anything