Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Openreach to rollout vectoring from February 2015, but..  (Read 12379 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
BT Openreach to rollout vectoring from February 2015, but..
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »

Yes, there's a but! It's still a trial and so is only being rolled out to 100 cabinets apparently - those of which are currently unknown. Expected to complete by the end of March. I wonder if this is why I saw two engineers with lots of equipment working at the fiber cabinet here recently (though the odds of that are unlikely, I don't think it was capacity issues either as I tend to regularly check the BTW's DSL availability checker to see if my estimates have changed and that gave no indication of a capacity problem). There's a possibility that BT will only use vectoring on cabinets which have a certain amount of lines connected (to reduce costs obviously), rather than roll it out to all.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/bt-extend-uk-vectoring-trials-fix-fttc-fibre-broadband-speeds.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6811-openreach-vectoring-trial-to-expand-to-100-cabinets.html

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BT Openreach to rollout vectoring from February 2015, but..
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »

I don't think it was capacity issues either as I tend to regularly check the BTW's DSL availability checker to see if my estimates have changed and that gave no indication of a capacity problem).

If you are only checking your estimate and you have FTTC you will not see any capacity problems. I've come across this in the past when somebody local couldn't order due to lack of capacity, but when checking someone else's line on the same cab who did have FTTC broadband it showed it as available.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »

I don't think it was capacity issues either as I tend to regularly check the BTW's DSL availability checker to see if my estimates have changed and that gave no indication of a capacity problem).

If you are only checking your estimate and you have FTTC you will not see any capacity problems. I've come across this in the past when somebody local couldn't order due to lack of capacity, but when checking someone else's line on the same cab who did have FTTC broadband it showed it as available.

Ah interesting, didn't realise that. So it may still have been a capacity reason.

jizzerman

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »

You can still check for capacity if you just use the address checker with your house number and postcode only.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

That's how I know the two 96 port fibre cabinets in my brand new estate are constantly maxed out.
Gotta love massive under-provisioning :)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »

tried it, I don't see anything about capacity. I do however note that it says availability date 04 feb 15 when I've had it since november 2013 :P

jizzerman

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:03:39 PM »

Yeah, that means your cabinet likely has little or no capacity, else it would be available to order for others in your postcode.
I had to watch the status on mine like a hawk, then order fibre on the day it became available.
Guess someone cancelled and I jumped in :) after 3 attempts.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »

Come to think of it, I remember checking my address too and it still said available too. So maybe it wasn't related! :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:15:37 AM »

You can still check for capacity if you just use the address checker with your house number and postcode only.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

That's how I know the two 96 port fibre cabinets in my brand new estate are constantly maxed out.
Gotta love massive under-provisioning :)

You can't 'over-provision' if you are running a business. There is no possible way for a planner building a job-pack for a FTTC, to know what the up-take of the product will be ??
I work in these cabs every day, and I personally can only think of two Cabs (out of hundreds), that reached saturation pretty quickly. The 'relief' work was carried out approx. 1yr later.  :)

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 05:13:37 PM »

Seems my cab is full
"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible."

But the bad news for me is that it doesn't seem long before I get hit by some more crosstalk.  I hope the vevtoring trial doesn't take long.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:18:46 PM by pooclah »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »

Seems my cab is full
"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible."

All you can tell is that it has run of some kind of resource.

It could still have empty slots, and be waiting for a new card to be added. It could have used all the pairs in the tie-cable to the PCP, and be waiting for some more. Or it could be full, and a whole new cab is needed.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 06:51:39 PM »

Yep possibly.  Either way it's going to mean more crosstalk and more lines effected (I’ve already lost 30Mbps of attainable over the last couple of years) so I’ll be happy to see vectoring fully rolled out.

KIAB

• Reg Member
Openreach vectoring trial to expand to 100 cabinets
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »

Over at 'Thinkbroadband' there is news about Openreach vectoring trial to expand to 100 cabinets , is there any list available showing where these cabinets will be.
Would be nice if they picked my cabinet in Bath. :lol:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6811-openreach-vectoring-trial-to-expand-to-100-cabinets.html

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach vectoring trial to expand to 100 cabinets
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 05:53:46 PM »

It's is a pitty out of the 100 FTTC cabinets on trial there is a not one user thats a member on the Kitz forum and why are the lucky trialist not coming out and giving there reviews  ::)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »

apparently is over 55k cabinets so 100 is a very small %, probably is why.

Also only techies would probably notice.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »

As Chrys said ^^^^
Pages: [1] 2

anything