Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Q3 results .....  (Read 8324 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Q3 results .....
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »

Message from BT's CEO (Gavin Patterson). May interest some of the members re; G.FAST ?

Q3 financial results 2014-15

Overall this quarter we’ve delivered good growth in profit and strong free cash flow.
Openreach achieved the highest growth in the number of landlines on record. It was also our best ever quarter for fibre broadband net additions. All the major communications providers are responding to the strong market demand for fibre broadband, helping to drive take-up in what is already a very competitive market.
Our superfast fibre broadband network now covers around three-quarters of the UK. As you know BT has been at the forefront of fibre innovation and investment, from which all communications providers benefit - and we aim to keep it that way. That’s why today I’m announcing our ambition to transform the UK broadband landscape from superfast to ultrafast via a widespread deployment of “G.fast”.
This is an innovative technology which we expect to offer initial speeds of a few hundred megabits per second to millions of UK homes and small businesses by 2020. Speeds will then increase to around 500Mbps to most of the UK within a decade, as further industry standards are secured and new kit is developed.
Pilots of ultrafast broadband with G.fast will take place this summer and we’re prepared to upgrade large parts of our network should the pilots prove successful. That upgrade will depend however on there continuing to be a stable regulatory environment that supports investment.
On mobility, we’re making good progress on our due diligence in relation to a possible acquisition of EE and will make further announcements in due course. In the meantime, our Consumer mobile launch plans remain on track. Tune in on Monday to the next edition of AudioByte for more details on our mobility strategy.
Going forward, our goal of delivering sustainable profitable growth remains a key priority for us. Not only does it provide us with options to invest in new technology such as fibre and mobility, our focus has enabled us, based on the strength and sustainability of our future cash flow generation, to agree a new 16-year recovery plan with the Trustee of the BT Pension scheme. This is a good outcome for BT and the scheme, and demonstrates that we are a much stronger company than we were three years ago.
Continuing to execute on our plans, particularly in Q4, is paramount. Please remain focused and committed to deliver. This will allow us to start the new financial year in the right place.
Finally, thank you to everyone for their efforts in putting the customer first. I was delighted to see the range of activity and ideas during our pan-BT #mycustomertoday online event earlier this month. Remember you can continue to add your views, recognise colleagues who are delivering great customer service and share with others what you’re doing to put the customer first.
Here’s to a great fourth quarter.

Gavin

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Q3 results .....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:32:29 AM »

PS .......... he typed that out on an Apple i-Mac.  ;) ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »

thanks for the update.

Also good news for the engineers as a new rollout means work to keep you all employed.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »

...where's the bit about the BT pension deficit jumping by a further £3bn to a total of £7bn?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »

Just read it.  On my iPad, of course.   :P

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:14 AM »

I guess that tells us that the plans for brownfield remain very firmly with copper + active electronics.

It is going to have taken the best part of a decade for FTTC to roll out the breadth of the country, so I guess we should expect at least the same amount of time for an FTTdp rollout.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »

This is good news, thanks for posting,  we can all start wishing we're in a pilot area.

Perhaps if they purchased cheaper computers profits would be higher, enabling earlier investment , unless of course in was his own computer :P

Read and typed on my Galaxy Note 2014 edition  :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »

Its good to see that BT are finally looking at ways to replace the copper lines in some way. Its also good news for people on long lines, as I'm sure a fibre line is much more insulated from interference than copper.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »

as I'm sure a fibre line is much more insulated from interference than copper.

fibre is light travelling down a glass shard. It's completely immune to EMI and RFI.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

This is good news, thanks for posting,  we can all start wishing we're in a pilot area.

Perhaps if they purchased cheaper computers profits would be higher, enabling earlier investment , unless of course in was his own computer :P

Read and typed on my Galaxy Note 2014 edition  :P

bad for me and you that the trials in the press release state non ECI only testing yet again.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »

I wonder, did anyone dare tell the Gavin the telephone support is dire?  :'(
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »

bad for me and you that the trials in the press release state non ECI only testing yet again.

That's just typical, I think we've been blighted with ECI cabs.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

I already posted on the plusnet forums if the gap becomes big between the 2 vendors I wont be paying the same price.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »

as I'm sure a fibre line is much more insulated from interference than copper.

fibre is light travelling down a glass shard. It's completely immune to EMI and RFI.

But unfortunately suffers from modal dispersion.

The aqua jacketed fibre cables that we often see pictures of attached to the cabs is likely to be OM4.   OM4 is capable of 100Gbps @ 100m but that reduces with cable length ie 10Gbps @ 400m, 1Gbps @ 1000m & 100Mbps @ 2000m.   Still a lot better than copper though :)

Single mode fibre used on the BTw backhaul and BTw Core is a different kettle of fish, but very expensive.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »

I don't suppose we can blame the i-mac but maybe in Q4, Gavin could get the hang of spacing such wordy text out a little to make it more pleasant to view/read.

It's a good job he isn't some sort of big cheese in a communications industry, isn't it  ???  ;)

Pages: [1] 2