Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Apple - biggest quarterly profit in history  (Read 22580 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Apple - biggest quarterly profit in history
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »

For the record...

My dev environment consists of a Mac Mini with LG 'Flatron' monitor that I really like.  Permanently USB-connected accessories are a Samsung Optical drive, and a WD HDD.  I did invest in an Apple keyboard, but that's just because I like them, a normal PC keyboard works too.  The mouse is a Logitech, can't remember why I chose it, 'just a mouse' I suspect, but no regrets.

Last week I bought a car-charger for the iPhone, branded 'amazon basics' but certified for use with iPhone.  It was cheap,  is well made, and works.  The iPhone is in a gel case that I found in Clas Ohlson, also cheap, also good.

:P

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »

and the companies business tactics should be taken into account.
Right.

I tend to hate Microsoft's business tactics more than I hate Apple's business tactics, but for quite a lot of things, you need to use one or the other. I tend to avoid the lock-in that either would prefer you to end up with, and I tend to not like paying Apple-kind of prices.

I much prefer to use Linux - I've used Unix for longer than I've used a PC or Windows - but it definitely takes more effort sometimes. It does open you up to being able to use cloud-located VPS's rather than the computer on your desktop though.

We tend to use Android for mobile/tablets, but I'm not that hot on the over-bearing power that Google gets either.

None of it proves to be perfect, so I try to tread a neat balance between the whole lot.

My daughter's school has gone for an ipad-per-pupil policy, which has drawn her into that particular evil empire, but perhaps that is better than IT lessons teaching use of Office applications from the other evil empire. I try to balance all that via the Raspberry Pi...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »

This is fast becoming a pointless to'ing and fro'ing exercise.

I like Apple products, I think they are far superior compared to what I used to use. hen I see a company making the record profits that Apple have, I also think to myself .... 'Hmm, I my not be on my own with my reasoning ?'.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »

I've laid my eyes on a fair few iPhones and ipads, and I'm glad to say that my Samsung S4 and my families S3 Mini's don't resemble an iPhone either,  but I bet Apple would find a reason to sue both manufacturers if they could :lol: My point was that Apple didn't invent the touch phone, it existed long before they started filing patents, as did tablets!

According to the news just now Apple don't pay enough tax, or dividends either.

Typed on my Samsung Galaxy Note tablet.

It's a known fact that Apple stole the iPad idea from Roger Fidler of Knight Ridder. Unsure of how to take his idea/prototype to market he invited Apple (at the time based in the next office) to come along and take a look.

Fidler at the time wasn't interested in patenting the idea and Steve Jobs reportedly told him he wasn't interested in developing it either. However without Fidler's knowledge the iPad design was patented soon afterwards.

Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »

We'll see how they get on when "Double Irish" gets binned & Luxembourg finally gets told to clean up their act or be blacklisted by US authorities (no SWIFT = bye bye tax evasion in the duchy).

Oh and when the the USA compels them to repatriate earnings which is on the hit list of EVERY USA politician around due to tax revenue.

MS are naive idiots compared to Apple in terms of fiddling their tax - probably because they do so much business with the USA govt & hence are subject to GAO regulations.

Nobody comes close to Apple in terms of tax avoidance/evasion - not even Amazon.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 06:10:47 PM »

I don’t own anything Apple – my choice.

But one of my sons owns an Apple phone and pad.  According to him the iPhone is the best phone ever and I’m daft for not owning one (happy with my S4 thank you).  Apparently his iPad is the best you can get and I should have one (I don’t own any sort of pad and can’t think of a need for one at the moment).

He also has a Windows PC that I built for him that he uses to store all his music and videos.  When I suggested that if Apple was so good perhaps he should sell his Windows PC and buy an Apple PC his response was,
“don’t be silly, if it breaks you can’t fix it, if it needs upgrading you can’t do it, and when it needs replacing you can’t build me another one that will do what I want for a lot less money”.

It turns out he’s an Apple fan who relies on a Windows PC to store his media so that he can share it with his Apple devices.  I would guess that it is quite common.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »

;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 07:00:20 PM »

Come BS, at least compare like for like  :P

Of course if you want small, couple this with a monitor of choice, and bluetooth keyboard and mouse, perfect for browsing the web, surfing the net and posting on forums, and a fraction of the price.

Try putting Apple OS on that, oh sorry you can't that will be break Apples T&C  :lol:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »

It turns out he’s an Apple fan who relies on a Windows PC to store his media so that he can share it with his Apple devices.  I would guess that it is quite common.

It sounds like your son has a healthy and open-minded attitude, I hope he enters the IT industry.

As will be evident from this thread, I am a devotee of Apple.  But much as I like Apple devices, that 'like' is overridden when something else is more appropriate.

The Mac serves day to day desktop duties, and specifically iOS development.   

We also have a windows box, which serves for alternative day to day duties or when we are both 'at work', and occasional dev,  specifically when we need to see the world through the eyes of the majority of other users, i.e. windows.

As well as the Mac and the PC, we need a server as common storage, source control etc, media  and TV recorder.  That is a pure workhorse, doesn't even have a monitor attached, so Linux seemed the obvious choice.

And as well as the various iPhones & iPads, I also keep the old Android phone charged up, as once in a while I need to see something that's only available for Android.

I need and will maintain all of that.  Difference is, and I know this is personal, the only kit that brings a smile to my face every time I pick it up or use it is... well, guess?   ::)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »

I'll always go for cheapest device and don't mind it not being the latest model/hardware, if it works and does what you need it to do and save some money  ;)

Having never purchased an apple product because the price is not right for my income and there must be more rich people in this world than i first thought if Apples profits are always rising  :o

Still the same old stuff after 34 years on, those who could afford a BBC Micro and those who couldn't ZX spectrum, the Atari vs Amiga and Apple VS MS.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:26:00 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything