Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 firmware versions (split from Howling Wolf topic)  (Read 6961 times)

Jumbosausage

• Just arrived
HG612 firmware versions (split from Howling Wolf topic)
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:33:50 PM »

Hi Guys, couple of questions if I may. I've recently got myself a pfsense box and done away with my home hub 5. I had an old openreach modem from a previous ISP but this seems to be one of the problem ones, ECI B-focus v-2fub/r rev b. I've currently got this setup in PPPoE mode and whilst it works it's not enabling me to set up firewall rules.

After doing a little research I've just ordered one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121530172758?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It states it's firmware revision V100R001C01B028SP10

Now question one is, will this be in bridged mode already or will it require some configuration? as this is my main aim, so as to enable me to get the firewall rules and port forwarding working on my pfsense box.

Secondly is this the latest firmware? and what exactly aside from putting it into bridged mode can you do with one of these unlocked modems? I see alot mentioned about line stats etc, but is this of benefit when using a pfsense setup?

Thanks in advance : )
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:39:59 PM by roseway »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Re: HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:05:33 AM »

I can't see how the modem can stop you setting up firewall rules

Jumbosausage

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 12:49:05 AM »

I can set the rules up ok within pfsense but the modem is blocking anything coming through to it as I can't put it into bridged mode to my router(pfsense box).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:59:38 AM by Jumbosausage »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 01:03:42 AM »

reset the eci to factory settings, it should default to bridge mode.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 01:03:59 AM »

The HG612 should be a bridge by default, as should the ECI. I suppose if it's unlocked you will be able to change more things though. The router stats will allow you to monitor the line and maybe understand what DLM has done to you - not that there's much you can do about it.

Jumbosausage

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 01:21:41 AM »

It's my understanding the eci model I have is a real pain. I think to get it back to factory defaults I'd need to follow the guide here..https://hackingecibfocusv2fubirevb.wordpress.com/ I'd need to get one of the auto converter module adapters. The particular model i have is also a pain to get into from what I can see, It's not just a case of taking some screws out, you've got to drill the casing. That's why I just ordered the HG612.

It's definitely not bridged though as it is.

mhisani

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:40:39 PM »

Just a quick question regarding the G.INP rollout. Has there been a firmware change for the HG612? I just want to ensure the the modem has the support. It's currently running  V100R001C01B030SP08   A2pv6C038m.d24j   . Over the last 10 days or so there has been a resync with a lot of down and upstread loss. Recovering then again with interleaving appearing on the up and the SNRs going wobbly. I wonder if this is all part of the roll out.

Balb0wa

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 09:52:32 AM »

After i read this, ive put my HG612 back in , took the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A out.

An Openreach Spokeswoman told ISPreview.co.uk:

“Openreach is in the early stages of introducing G.INP correction, also known as Retransmission, for FTTC lines that we think can benefit from it. Retransmission supports our Dynamic Line Management process and will benefit customers by providing a slight improvement in speed on FTTC lines where it has been used. It will also improve the volume of FTTC lines running error free.

FTTC lines will automatically accept Retransmission policies. Those currently with non-Retransmission compliant modem firmware will be identified by management systems and updated, after which Retransmission will become available.

An upgrade process has started which is expected to take several months to complete.”

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/bt-enables-physical-retransmission-g-inp-fttc-broadband-lines.html

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »

“Openreach is in the early stages of introducing G.INP correction, also known as Retransmission, for FTTC lines that we think can benefit from it. Retransmission supports our Dynamic Line Management process and will benefit customers by providing a slight improvement in speed on FTTC lines where it has been used. It will also improve the volume of FTTC lines running error free.

FTTC lines will automatically accept Retransmission policies. Those currently with non-Retransmission compliant modem firmware will be identified by management systems and updated, after which Retransmission will become available.

An upgrade process has started which is expected to take several months to complete.”

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/bt-enables-physical-retransmission-g-inp-fttc-broadband-lines.html

I wonder if this means that without BT agent (e.g. HG612 or ECI), even if the connected modem supports G.INP that DLM won't use retransmission?

ardsar

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 firmware versions (split from Howling Wolf topic)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »

Has it be confirmed whether BT agent needs to be running in order for the DLM to start using G.INP?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »

I wonder if this means that without BT agent (e.g. HG612 or ECI), even if the connected modem supports G.INP that DLM won't use retransmission?

my guess is no. But its a guess. I think DLM will try to apply g.inp if it deems a line should use it, if this fails then the management system do the modem check and firmware update if necessary.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:56 PM »

my guess is no. But its a guess. I think DLM will try to apply g.inp if it deems a line should use it, if this fails then the management system do the modem check and firmware update if necessary.

So what your saying is some users may be G.INP enabled but the DLM has not made the transition because there line is stable it's only when the line becomes problematic that's when you feel the G.INP kick in if it's enabled of course.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 11:05:35 PM »

That's certainly how I understand it. G.INP is a DLM option.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 02:33:40 AM »

yeah fast path is still the default top profile for stable lines.