Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No options from Microsoft  (Read 6454 times)

Jgun

No options from Microsoft
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:38:55 PM »

My system is W/S 8 & I am quite happy with it. On three occasions recently, whilst I was attempting to play one of the M/S games I received a message to say that I was to upgrade to W/S81. I was not given any option to refuse & I was unable to remove it or do anything other than press the power switch to turn the computer off.
I left it for sometime, rebooted again & clicked on to AVG where i t was revealed the my identity protection was disabled.
AVG soon fixed this for me but every time I attempt to play any games the same thing happens.
Has anyone experienced this at all?.I don't want 81 & do not appeciate the fact that there is no option to refuse.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: No options from Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »

My system is W/S 8 & I am quite happy with it. On three occasions recently, whilst I was attempting to play one of the M/S games I received a message to say that I was to upgrade to W/S81. I was not given any option to refuse & I was unable to remove it or do anything other than press the power switch to turn the computer off.
I left it for sometime, rebooted again & clicked on to AVG where i t was revealed the my identity protection was disabled.
AVG soon fixed this for me but every time I attempt to play any games the same thing happens.
Has anyone experienced this at all?.I don't want 81 & do not appeciate the fact that there is no option to refuse.

Nope but if I remember correctly, if you don't upgrade, you won't get any updates for Windows 8.0 (think they were stopped last May anyway). I have 8.1 running on 5 machines with very few problems.

I'm not a gamer though if that is something to do with not wanting 8.1?
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »

Try:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-stop-automatic-forced-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-8-1/

This tells you how to do it and also possibly remove certain already-installed updates that can cause the problem you have...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Jgun

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »

Thank you both for your replies. I will try askvg to see what to do.

anything