Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Aldi PC offer  (Read 36473 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Aldi PC offer
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »

Indeed I have never heard of a locked BIOS before...

Swapping out the HDDs and attempting to install a new OS would give a clear indication on such a machine about how the BIOS was locked, if at all (why would a manufacturer even want to do this?)

The Aldi/Medion PCs certainly offer a very good spec for the price and are ideal for those who already have a monitor and peripherals.

"did you know that the amount of watts don't matter in a PSU"  laugh (well that was the reply I got to a question)

You should ask them to check this by replacing the PSU in their super-gaming machine with a 300w one and see what happens.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 01:00:21 AM »

You should ask them to check this by replacing the PSU in their super-gaming machine with a 300w one and see what happens.

Yes I know I should, but it's not worth arguing the point with someone who judging by some of their other replies is clearly a "hopeless case"

As for the BIOS, I'll let you know. ::)
But why people don't just phone Medion and ask is something I don't understand!
Let's face it, if I/we want to access "our" equipment, then that's up-to us.

Update:
As for the BIOS, I'll let you know. ::)
Well so far it does not look like the BIOS is locked as the but the instructions are a little on the vague side by saying access should only b needed for major alterations to the system.

Just to excited at the moment deciding where it's going to go, that I haven't even plugged it in "yet"
Not much room for expansion inside either (yes I looked) only space for one more HDD, but with the size of drives nowadays thats not so important.

Just a update on the BIOS (for future reference) it was not locked and one of their techies said they do not lock BIOS's.

As there is another "very similar thread" on this Medion PC topic, I would suggest using that for any further discussions, of which there are one or two to follow.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1632.new;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 06:03:45 PM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008, 03:36:52 AM »

Yes, good idea OF - I'm going to lock this thread in favour of the one you pointed out :)

Please feel free to continue the discussion here

I now declare this thread closed!!
Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]