Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Aldi PC offer  (Read 36502 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Aldi PC offer
« on: February 08, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »

Just on the off-chance that you do not get the Aldi special offer newsletter, here is an offer from Medion on the 14th February for what seems like a nice cheap £400 PC with lots of spec to go with it.

Actually, I would really like your thoughts on it (even though it is Vista) as I'm tempted to buy it.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5061.htm

MikeS

Re: Aldi PC offer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

If you are switching to Vista make sure that drivers exist for all your peripherals, printers/scanners etc.  Nothing more irritating than buying a new PC and finding that you have to buy a new scanner as well.  I speak from experience !

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:33:43 PM »

Just as a follow up to OF's post, Aldi do some pretty good offers on computer tackle but, sometimes, they are very limited in quantity available at each store and it pays to know in advance what will be on offer.
The newsletter is a very handy early warning of what will be available with about one weeks notice. You can subscribe here:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/service/newsletter.htm
and just delete any that do not have anything of interest to you.

NO, i don't get commission but I do get the newsletter and quite a few times I have been into my local store and bought the last of a specific item for the bargain price, on the day that they went on sale.

dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »

I havent had chance to look into the exact specs yet properly.. but over the years I have bought a couple of their PC specials.
Bear in mind that I was a previous "build your own" type person.

The only reason I bought the first one was a kind of "need it now" ... problem with my old machine occurred 2 days before the deadline for handing in a pile of final assignments for my foundation degree and I didnt have time to mess about.
Mum helped come to the rescue with an early b/day pressie...  and although that PC is now 5 year old - its still up and running as kims pc with a few added extras I put in such as upgrade RAM and 2nd HDD etc.

The 2nd one is this machine Im using right now - again I was going to do a build
- but the specs of the PC they offered meant that I couldnt even attempt to  buy all the parts for what they were offering..  which at the time was a top spec PC.

I did have a problem with the graphics card..  but Medion support were excellent and replaced it without any qualms.
Again over the years Ive added more stuff to it... but this machine is on 24/7 and has been for over 3 years.
Its still a half decent spec..  but I do have concerns over the HDD situation right now.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 06:45:44 PM »

Thanks Mike, but it's more of a spare more than anything else.
At the moment I am still using the Medion MD 8008 XL of which was also an offer some years back, although it has had some "considerable" upgrades since then but still find it very reliable.

As Dave has pointed out, yes, if you want one of the offers badly, then be prepared to be there at opening time as most offers usually sell-out by lunch time (then again it comes in handy having a quite word with the manager the day before-hand) well I am a regular customer. ::)

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I did have a problem with the graphics card..  but Medion support were excellent and replaced it without any qualms.

Yes likewise, they had a bad batch of graphics cards at one time.
But like yourself, support sorted it out very quickly.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:49:00 PM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 06:51:52 PM »

That does look like a pretty good spec for the money.
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:07:29 PM »

Agreed the spec is very good. Vista certainly won't be too much of a problem performance wise (though if you loaded on XP it would be lightning fast)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »

Just as a matter of interest should any one be interested, here is the Main-board spec for the "MicroStar 7366 MB"
I just phoned Medion and that is what they quoted.

http://www.msicomputer.co.uk/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1329&maincat_no=1

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »

Yeah that looks all good.

fully loaded media center but i didnt see any mention of a monitor??

Paul

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 08:43:40 AM »

There is no monitor supplied Paul.If you have a look on www.pricerunner.com. you can find a 19" for around £100.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »

ahh right ... saying that, if you are gonna use it as a media centre then you'll be using the tv anyway !
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 05:48:21 PM »

Thats actually one of the things I do like about the aldi specials in that you buy the monitor and PC separate which gives you the option of getting what you want - or you may already have a decent monitor.

I normally discard their mouse and keyboard - since Im a bit of a logitech fan..   
To me such things as the mouse/keyboard and monitor are really what you interact with the most - therefore I dont mind paying a bit extra for decent stuff.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »

The newsletter is a very handy early warning of what will be available with about one weeks notice. You can subscribe here:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/service/newsletter.htm
and just delete any that do not have anything of interest to you.

Has anyone done this successfully recently? I've tried a couple of times, but the confirmation link which they emailed me just gives an error when I try to use it (same in any browser).
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »

I've not registered recently, Eric. I did both Aldi and Lidl about twelve months ago and get emails usually twice a week and an extra one when they have other specials.
All I do if interested in a particular item is click the picture in the email and it takes me to their site and a full description of that article.
I have just tried the link again and it gives you a choice of receiving mail in html or text.
dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »

Eric,I get a weekly newsletter from Aldi without any problem.I use Yahoo mail and IE7.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything