Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Waiting for HG612 3B to arrive, some questions before unlocking  (Read 4584 times)

Tekno

Waiting for HG612 3B to arrive, some questions before unlocking
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:40:49 PM »

Hi,

Having a few problems as stated in another thread and with no help from TalkTalk i took advice from a forum member on here and bought a new BT OR HG612 3B modem so i can get my hands on stats etc, whilst i await for it to be delivered i have some questions. I have read the unlock guide etc but still a little unsure on somethings and would appreciate some advice.

1) Reading this forum i see a thread for firmware http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14262.0 to be honest i'm not sure if this is the latest firmware and which version i need except i want the gui interface, but from the kitz hg612 unlock instructions page it gives a link to sp10 unlocked firmware (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6wW18mYskvBZDE0YmNkMzAtZmEzMC00MjhiLTk2N2ItNDNhYTNjOGJlZTBj&usp=drive_web&hl=en_US), whats the difference and which do i need? looking at pic on ebay on back of one i bought it shows Firmware Version: V100R001C01B028SP10 can anyone tell me which version i need from the link ? i am using a macbook pro retina (mid 2014) not Windows if that helps.

2) I see GPL sources and Tools and Patches folders, will i need these as can't find anything on whether i do or not ?

3) i don't own a windows machine and am new to mac as only been mac user for 4 weeks, can anyone tell me whether i can unlock it using the apple ethernet to thunderbolt adaptor? my rMBP does not have an ethernet port. I did a search on google and only found one thing that suggests i should be able to but thought i'd ask here.

4) as i said i'm new to mac, so any mac users out here i'd appreciate some advice, when unlocking i have to change the ip address of the ethernet port, my asus rt-ac68u router is 192.168.1, can someone tell me on osx yosemite am i rite in thinking i need to change that as shown in image below? i guess i would need to select manually for the unlocking part? any advise here to confirm would be great. I think i understand i will have to change the ip address of my router as it's 192.168.1.1 and will conflict with modem, or can i change modem ip address to something different? as i say any advice help here would be appreciated as not 100% sure.

Thank you for any help.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:01:08 PM by Tekno »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Waiting for HG612 3B to arrive, some questions before unlocking
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:15:31 PM »

I'll answer your first two queries (and leave the Mac specific questions to someone like Kitz, our leader . . . ).
  • Using the same terminology as in Howlingwolf's post, you will need the <version>_webgui firmware image. That is bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui
  • No, you will not need the contents of the GPL sources & Tools and Patches directories.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Tekno

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:20:21 PM »

I'll answer your first two queries (and leave the Mac specific questions to someone like Kitz, our leader . . . ).
  • Using the same terminology as in Howlingwolf's post, you will need the <version>_webgui firmware image. That is bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui
  • No, you will not need the contents of the GPL sources & Tools and Patches directories.

That's awesome thank you. The firmware that links to google drive sp10 (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6wW18mYskvBZDE0YmNkMzAtZmEzMC00MjhiLTk2N2ItNDNhYTNjOGJlZTBj&usp=drive_web&hl=en_US) which one is that, is it a later version or something ? just curious that's all to what the difference is as i thought i may have needed the sp10 unlocked from that link.

Many thanks :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:22:39 PM by Tekno »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »

No, don't get confused with the original firmware image that is/was present on the device. The device you have purchased may have already been updated by Beattie remotely pushing a new image onto it.

You do need to install the latest firmware image version from Howlingwolf, which I mentioned in my previous post (bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Tekno

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »

No, don't get confused with the original firmware image that is/was present on the device. The device you have purchased may have already been updated by Beattie remotely pushing a new image onto it.

You do need to install the latest firmware image version from Howlingwolf, which I mentioned in my previous post (bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui).

Thank you for the prompt reply, will see if anyone replied in regards to mac settings etc. Cheers :)

Tekno

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »

4) as i said i'm new to mac, so any mac users out here i'd appreciate some advice, when unlocking i have to change the ip address of the ethernet port, my asus rt-ac68u router is 192.168.1, can someone tell me on osx yosemite am i rite in thinking i need to change that as shown in image below? i guess i would need to select manually for the unlocking part? any advise here to confirm would be great. I think i understand i will have to change the ip address of my router as it's 192.168.1.1 and will conflict with modem, or can i change modem ip address to something different? as i say any advice help here would be appreciated as not 100% sure.

Thank you for any help.

anyone help with this question? I have bought a retail copy of windows 8.1 and being delivered tomorrow so will install using bootcamp so could do it from Windows 8.1 if needed but would still like to know for future reference.

Cheers  :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:08:14 PM by Tekno »

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:38 PM »

anyone help with this question?

read here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22161/how-to-set-up-a-static-ip-in-mac-os-x/

Set ip addy to 192.168.1.100

As for changing the router ip addy.....probably easier to change the ip addy of the modem after it is unlocked, using the gui.

Ian

Tekno

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »

anyone help with this question?

read here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22161/how-to-set-up-a-static-ip-in-mac-os-x/

Set ip addy to 192.168.1.100

As for changing the router ip addy.....probably easier to change the ip addy of the modem after it is unlocked, using the gui.

Ian

Brilliant! Thanks  Ian  :)

anything