Computers & Hardware > Hardware - Deals & Bargains

Wall socket with USB outlets

(1/5) > >>

kitz:
Double Wall Socket with 2 USB outlets - £12.99 @ Aldi

HPsauce:
A clever idea, but will Apple devices complain that it's not one of their chargers?

sevenlayermuddle:
I'd never come across such a thing, but I see they are actually quite commonly available in various designs.

Certainly useful, but I wonder whether the USB outlets are switched, or always on? 

Not that I'd worry about the energy usage, a topic we've done to death, and any cost saving from switching off is an urban myth.   But from a safety perspective, I'd probably not feel comfortable leaving a charger of unknown pedigree permanently connected to the mains...  :-\

roseway:
I've got one, and it does what it says on the tin. The USB ports aren't switched, but it claims to meet UK safety regulations. I've only found one oddity, namely that my Kindle doesn't seem to like it; it starts to charge, then after several minutes the charging light goes green (indicating that charging is complete) but charging isn't complete. Everything else I've tried works fine.

kitz:

--- Quote from: HPsauce on January 21, 2015, 11:11:50 AM ---A clever idea, but will Apple devices complain that it's not one of their chargers?

--- End quote ---

Not sure, but I think if as long as you use genuine cable then you should be ok.
Its the cable that contains the chip..  you can plug the cable into various power sources such as PC or car USB adapter.

--- Quote ---Positioned between the cord's USB contact and the power pin on the Lightning plug, the chip seems to be the key to keeping Lighting cables and adapters proprietary.
--- End quote ---
http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third-party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone/all

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version