Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi newbie  (Read 4041 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Raspberry Pi newbie
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:25:42 AM »

Right,so having got tired of the loose power jack on my old netbook dislodging itself again and again - causing gaps in my MDWS monitoring - I have rather impetuously ordered a Raspberry Pi Starter Kit after reading about it so much on this forum which will arrive tomorrow.   :o

Obviously, I realise that in the longer term this may help me to learn some programming - but right now given I have no experience in programming, Linux (or other non MS software) or media centers at all -  a few questions:

1) Do I have everything I need to run MDWS on my connection (apart from the MDWS software itself)?

2) Is there an idiots guide to getting MDWS working on a Pi?

I have also heard of software like Plex and/or Kodi but never use them - however, I am interested in doing so.

3) can a Pi run both MDWS and Plex/Kodi at the same time or does it need a dedicated Pi each?

4) If they can run together, I have a old Sony TV which has a Ethernet socket (but no built in WiFi), could I connect the Pi to that, using its WiFi for net access/Kodi/Plex/MDWS? How is easy is that to do?

5) If they can't run on the same Pi, how easy is it to do the Kodi/Plex via WiFi and via Ethernet to the TV

Finally..

6) I'd welcome any suggestions for links where I can learn more about my purchase and what it's capable off..

Many thanks in advance for any help  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Raspberry Pi newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:40:24 AM »

I need to point out one thing . . .

It is not MDWS that you will run on the R-Pi but DSLstats. You would then configure DSLstats to upload your circuit's data to MDWS.

As for "how to do it", it would be best for someone who uses a R-Pi to perform that task, to be your guide.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:50:09 AM »

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I need to point out one thing . . .

It is not MDWS that you will run on the R-Pi but DSLstats. You would then configure DSLstats to upload your circuit's data to MDWS.

You're quite right to pick me up on this! 

Sorry, for not giving Eric the credit he is rightfully due - I can only use the late hour as an excuse!  :(

[Moderator edited to fix the broken [quote] tag.]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:57:43 AM by burakkucat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 07:20:57 AM »

You could start with this: How to install DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi. Version 5.7.3 of DSLstats would be the best version to use.
  Eric

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:53:28 PM »

You could start with this: How to install DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi. Version 5.7.3 of DSLstats would be the best version to use.

Thanks - the good news is the Pi arrived. The bad news is that I have realised I don't have a HDMI cable which I think I need? - so will get one tomorrow (I may accidentally and on impulse have ordered a new barebones PC at the same time which I don't really need  :-[  so it's a very expensive HDMI cable!  :) :-\  :D)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 02:32:13 AM »

Thanks - it worked perfectly -and from someone with zero experience of Linux!

The only thing that caught be out is that you appear to need to leave the black terminal window open otherwise DSLStats also closes:)

I can foresee a steep learning curve with the Pi but it looks like an amazing piece of kit.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:32:03 AM »

Excellent news.

Concerning the terminal window, yes if you start DSLstats that way, then it's a sub-process of the terminal, and closing the terminal closes the sub-process as well.

If you start it the way the guide describes in the last paragraph, you don't get this issue.
  Eric