Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 3B - unable to unlock  (Read 10258 times)

tristan

HG612 3B - unable to unlock
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »

Hi all,

Just got myself a 612 from eBay and want to unlock it for the stats. I've tried to flash it with the 'original' unlocked firmware from https://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com with no joy. I then re-read these forums and found the newer HW versions from here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w

Using both B030SP06 and B030SP08 webgui versions I don't get a page served at 192.168.1.1, or a ping response or telnet... I'm connected via LAN2, although with no connection in LAN1 or adsl ports.

Any ideas of what's going on? Is it best to long reset and try again with B030SP08?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 3B - unable to unlock
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »

First of all, you need to check that your connection to the device is configured correctly. So configure the computer's NIC to have a static IPv4 address in the 192.168.1.X range . . . anything other than X = 0, X = 1 or X = 255. The usual recommendation is to use 192.168.1.100

Now disconnect the power supply to the HG612. With just the Ethernet patch cable linking from the LAN2 port of the HG612 to your computer's NIC, depress and hold the reset button (with one hand) and the connect the power supply to the HG612 (with the other hand). Wait for about ten seconds, then release the reset button.

From a web-browser, enter the IPv4 address 192.168.1.1 into the browser's address bar. You should now see the Broadcom boot-loader firmware upload page. Specify the firmware image that you have, safe and ready, on your computer and start the update process. Do not be in a hurry . . . go and do something else for (say) ten minutes!

Kitz has put together a useful page describing the process. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tristan

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »

Hi Burakkucat,

Yes, I have completed those steps (using .100 as the IP and experimenting with subnet / router addresses until I get the update page). The HG612 reboots following the transfer of the firmware. I'd expect (from the last time I flashed a HG612 a couple of years ago), if I wait a few minutes, to be able to then access the gui on 192.168.1.1 without altering any of the setup (either settings or physically).

I don't get any response via ping / telnet / web. The lights on LAN2 are on and blinking etc. I've tried flashing with both the 06 and 08 versions, but only the gui versions (if that might make a difference?).

Would it be worth 'hard resetting' the HG612 back to factory settings? Is that achieved by holding down the reset button for 15 sec when on?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »

ever since my first firmware update using the PC to LAN2 on H612 (192,168,100) have since had trouble trying to reflash the HG612 direct from PC.

I just keep the router and HG612 inplace with WAN cable from router to LAN1 on HG612 and LAN2 cable from HG612 to router and the Firwareware flash works everytime

Power off HG612, unplug DSL cable to HG612, Hold reset button and keep holding while you plug in the power cable to HG612 wait another 10 seconds and release, call up a browser type 192.168.1.1 and you should see the software update page, then select software file name from browse and click update then wait untill the HG612 reboots after a minute you should be able to use 192.168.1.1 to access the GUI and if so then plug the DSL cable back into the HG612.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »

Would it be worth 'hard resetting' the HG612 back to factory settings? Is that achieved by holding down the reset button for 15 sec when on?

Yes, that might be worth a try.

tristan

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »

Ahh, so does LAN1 needs connected to the WAN on a router after flashing? And then LAN2 to one of the other empty ports or still connected to the machine doing the flashing?

When I've done this process before it would have been on a working setup with a BTHH. This time I'm doing it with no BTHH or working vdsl.

There may be an issue there as I would need the GUI available to alter the IP on LAN2 from 192.168.1.1 to something that wouldn't interfere with my current setup; my Apple TimeCapsule takes the .1 address in any range, so previously I changed the HG612 to 250 or something like that.

This is very strange - I had no issues flashing before with another HG612. Albeit this modem is from ebay, and I don't have infinity enabled at my current location yet to test. This was bought so I don't have to use the BTHH5 which will really mess up my setup.

I'll try a hard reset and flashing once again.

tristan

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »

Just tried reflashing with the non-gui image. Nothing plugged in to LAN1 or DSL. Just direct connection between laptop and LAN2.

When in update mode I can ping 192.168.1.1

The update occurs, the modem restarts, wait a few minutes then .... nothing on ping / telnet.

Running nmap gives:

Code: [Select]
sudo nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24
Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-01-19 21:32 GMT
mass_dns: warning: Unable to open /etc/resolv.conf. Try using --system-dns or specify valid servers with --dns-servers
mass_dns: warning: Unable to determine any DNS servers. Reverse DNS is disabled. Try using --system-dns or specify valid servers with --dns-servers
[b]Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.1
Host is up (0.00040s latency).
MAC Address: CC:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Shenzhen Huawei Communication Technologies Co.)[/b]
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.100
Host is up.
Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (2 hosts up) scanned in 2.00 seconds

So I'm guessing it's there... One thought I had was the previous owner may have used a wildly differing configuration that may have lived on (perhaps a different IP range?). But the nmap might indicate otherwise.

I've even tried the flashing with differing browsers. I'm at a loss...

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »

Maybe try  changing the dns to google or l3's ?

tristan

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »

Maybe try  changing the dns to google or l3's ?

Is this just to have something in the fields? The HG612 will have no external access as it isn't connected to a working DSL line. Not sure if the DNS will make a difference.

It looks as though one of two things has happened:

1) BT has issued a fireware update that blocks the current HW hacks [unlikely that I'm the only one noticing]
2) I've been sold a lemon

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »

One thought I've had when reading through this.

In the original hacking guide, you have to set your Laptops IP to a certain figure.

Did you set this back to "Automatically obtain" in the TCP/IP settings? If not, this may be the issue? It may not be, but until I did this before, the Web gui wouldn't work.

Possibly you've already done this, but I thought I'd mention it in case it does work?

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

tristan

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »

I'll give that another go. Worth a shot.

I'm pretty sure I tried setting the laptop to get an address via DHCP and it failed / chose that 'random' address that computers do when there is no DHCP server.

The fact that nmap indicates a Huawei device at 192.168.1.1 makes me think the unlocking process isn't working or has been blocked on the device. This is all above my pay grade unfortunately. On a previous HG612 I didn't have this issue at all - I remember having it flashed and set up to get stats within 10 mins...

tristan

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »

I gave up.

Bought another HG612 from eBay and that works as expected. Must have been a lemon...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 06:11:31 PM »

Thank you for reporting back so as to update this thread and bring it to a conclusion.

timh

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »

I've just updated to the latest firmware and suffered exactly the same issues.  I.e. after flashing unable to connect to 192.168.1.1.  I then realised I had previously changed the IP address of the LAN2 port and found I could reconnect on that.  So the instructions for updating f/w (if already unlocked), aren't 100% correct if you have previously changed the IP address (i.e. the previously configured IP address doesn't get set back to default).

Hope this helps some others (and saves them having to buy a new modem!).

tristan

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 05:04:57 PM »

Hmm, I was sure I tried running nmap to find that. But perhaps my range was wrong. ie, I was looking on 192.168.1.* or 192.168.2.* and the previous owner had maybe set it to, e.g., 10.0.0.*.

Anyway, I'll never know as the device is no doubt on a landfill somewhere...
Pages: [1] 2