Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HDMI switches  (Read 10905 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
HDMI switches
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:47:46 PM »

I want to have two PCs connected to a single monitor via HDMI. There are loads of  HDMI switches available, but they all seem to specify TV resolutions only, and I want one which supports at least 1920 x 1080. Can anyone help?
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: HDMI switches
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:44:52 PM »

Sorry I've only had a quick look and I cant find one either... well not without paying silly money.

Do the PC's have DVI or VGA output.   I used to use a 2 port VGA/DVI KVM switch which seem easier to get hold of for PCs.... plus VGA or DVI should be more geared for PC screen resolution rather than HDMI which seems more towards TVs.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »

all i can give you is a link and then see which one fits the bill

http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/home-electricals/home-entertainment/hdmi-switch-boxes

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »

Does the monitor have multiple inputs, even if a mixture of types, such as VGA/HDMI/DVI?

I've had similar setups and just had one PC on VGA and another on DVI, for example. The only minor problem can be sound if your monitor has built-in speakers that you use as at least one PC will then need its own speakers.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »

I too use a KVM, in fact just this week I've gone from a Belkin 4 port to a D-Link two port which only has a very small remote switch on the desk, all the electronic gubbins are part of the VGA plug and it switches audio and is USB powered. I have not seen any HDMI versions only a DVI only DVI or VGA ones.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:46:22 PM »

Does the monitor have multiple inputs, even if a mixture of types, such as VGA/HDMI/DVI?

I've had similar setups and just had one PC on VGA and another on DVI, for example. The only minor problem can be sound if your monitor has built-in speakers that you use as at least one PC will then need its own speakers.

The monitor in question has one VGA port and one HDMI. The devices I want to connect are a spare test PC (VGA and DVI), a Raspberry Pi (HDMI) and a Laptop (HDMI). All three are only used periodically, so I can manage by swapping plugs over, but I would very much prefer a switch.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »

The monitor in question has one VGA port and one HDMI. The devices I want to connect are a spare test PC (VGA and DVI), a Raspberry Pi (HDMI) and a Laptop (HDMI).
Ah, so 3 devices, not 2....
I want to have two PCs connected to a single monitor via HDMI.

I presume you're aware that you can connect a DVI output to an HDMI input with a suitable cable, but it will be video-only (no sound). Then you could use a 3-way HDMI switch.

My 2-device method mentioned above didn't use a switch, just direct cables to the two monitor inputs.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:52:06 PM by HPsauce »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »

all i can give you is a link and then see which one fits the bill

Thanks, I've spent ages checking every supplier I can trace, but although one or two of the user comments suggest that their particular choice works with PCs at their normal resolutions, I haven't found this in the specifications anywhere.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »

Ah, so 3 devices, not 2

Yes, but one of those can use the VGA port. I only need a 2-way HDMI switch. Only one device will be switched on at a time.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »

I presume you're aware that you can connect a DVI output to an HDMI input with a suitable cable, but it will be video-only (no sound). Then you could use a 3-way HDMI switch.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but the two devices I want to combine only have HDMI outputs, and after using the VGA port for the test PC, the only remaining monitor port is HDMI.

Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 11:03:36 PM »

What about: http://www.lightinthebox.com/hdmi-switch-3in-1out-1080p-hdmi1-3-with-remote-control_p603971.html

Thanks, but the spec of that device makes no mention of higher resolutions than 1080P.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »

the spec of that device makes no mention of higher resolutions than 1080P.
There are none used by TV.  ???
And that's all you want anyway......
and I want one which supports at least 1920 x 1080.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:08:47 PM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 11:09:58 PM »

TBH Im not certain if the normal HDMI switches will work with monitors (dont quote me on that) and I think when it comes to PCs a KVM is supposedly the correct way to go and why I purchased a KVM.  I have found a HDMI KVM but youre still talking near £200.

Just throwing ideas into the pot..  how about a (DVI) KVM switch...  used with a DVI to HDMI Cable?  Would that work?

edited to clarify.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:19:37 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd failed to realise that 1080P is effectively the resolution I need (1920 x 1080) so the only question is whether an HDMI switch will work with  PCs and a monitor. Using a KVM switch would mean getting two HDMI to DVI cables and one DVI to HDMI cable (assuming that both forms exist - I haven't checked). The other option is to buy a new monitor with two HDMI ports and one other, such as this: http://www.ebuyer.com/407355-aoc-i2267fwh-22-ips-monitor-i2267fwh
which would be a neater solution.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2