Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Christmas Lectures  (Read 7769 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Christmas Lectures
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:40:57 AM »

Pre-warning for the Michael Faraday Christmas Lectures
on BBC4 on December 29, 30 and 31

http://rigb.org/christmas-lectures

I think it was in the 1980's I was involved in the Faraday Lectures  ;D   we went all over the country. 8)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Christmas Lectures
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:03:44 AM »

Thank you.   Some one give this thread a bump for me nearer the time.   I love watching them.

>> I think it was in the 1980's I was involved in the Faraday Lectures

I remember going to what Im pretty certain was one, either that or some sort of copy, on a school trip which was held at Preston Uni - although it would have been Preston Poly back then.  Ive always been unsure if it was one of the 'real lectures' that I saw because I was unsure or not if they toured.    I remember enjoying the lecture and how we all got involved ..  and also that it was very cold that particular night and the auditorium was freezing.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »

I still have a vcr of Eric Laithewaite's superb lecture in this series God knows how long ago when he demonstrated amongst other things, his linear motor. Superb stuff. I must buy a working player so I can look at it again!
Tony

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »

Another BBC "regular" that is definitely worth attention are the Reith Lectures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reith_Lectures

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »

I still have a vcr of Eric Laithewaite's superb lecture in this series God knows how long ago when he demonstrated amongst other things, his linear motor. Superb stuff. I must buy a working player so I can look at it again!
Tony

Ooh, I'd love to see that (but I don't have a VCR either). Eric Laithwaite was my professor when I was at Imperial College all those years ago. We actually got to play with his prototype linear motor.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »

If I can get round to buying a vcr (Ebay?) I'll transpose it to mpeg and make it available. Don't hold your breath!
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »

That would be great, but don't feel obliged on my behalf. :)
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

I've found this example of EL doing what seems like a conjuring trick with a gyroscope:

[youtube]JRPC7a_AcQo[/youtube]

There are several other linked videos of him.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »

I remember seeing him do a programme on gyroscopes (don't think it was a Christmas Lecture) and my high opinion of him as a lecturer was even further reinforced. You were very lucky to have him, Eric.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »

fascinating stuff.   "A fact about spinning wheels that so far everyone has missed"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »

I love science.. it fascinates me especially when you get good lecturers/presenters.

btw did anyone watch the recent programs on Quantum Physics.   Some of that blew my mind.  I watched parts of the first program twice trying to get my head around it  ???  Fascinating stuff though.   Its probably still available on iplayer.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 12:37:24 AM »

Tony
Is it this one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWiYsRi2Dss

It was great working with linear motors, we where developing a Mag Lev Railway vehicle, It levitated up about 2/3" off the Aluminum track on magnetism and and had linear motors to move it.
A version of this was used between Birmingham Airport and Birmingham International railway station.

Eric Laithewaite came to see our work, nice chap.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:22:00 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:45:13 AM »

Thank you.   Some one give this thread a bump for me nearer the time.   I love watching them.

bump

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »

bump
You have had a 'bump' in your car    :o        ?

:lol:

Pre-warning for the Michael Faraday Christmas Lectures
on BBC4 on December 29, 30 and 31

Kronos_2001

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »

The first one I remember seeing was by Carl Sagan on space probes.  Amazing presentation with many demonstrations for the audience to get involved in.  I think it was six days long back then too.  Now it's only three.  I've set my MythTV to record them.
Pages: [1] 2

anything